Post here when your My Effin Life book arrives and what you think after reading!

blueschica

On 11/24/2023 at 4:32 AM, Fridge said:

Ok, after seeing the reviews and opinions of many others, I am engaging in a humiliating climbdown and have ordered the hardcover....I'll let you know my opinions of it when I read it.

Feel free to let the flaming commence :blast: 

Shit.

Belief in the curmugeonity of the Fridge was the last thing I was holding on to... 

:sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, Fridge said:

Ok, after seeing the reviews and opinions of many others, I am engaging in a humiliating climbdown and have ordered the hardcover....I'll let you know my opinions of it when I read it.

Feel free to let the flaming commence :blast: 

Darn, I wish I had seen this earlier!  I would have sent you mine!  I enjoyed it a great deal, but I probably won't be reading it repeatedly.   I hope you like it!

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 2:08 AM, BigMontanaSKY said:

Great photo.

The popularity of this book means the influence of Rush will be discussed again

Not just the influence, but the music itself.  After seven years retired I am back in the classroom, and daily I hear my 14, 15 & 16yo students discussing music.  The most mentioned among those that play an instrument...RUSH

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, goose said:

The most mentioned among those that play an instrument...RUSH

Do you guys know the Alex Lifeson Chord?  NO?!  YOU DON'T KNOW THE FREAKIN' ALEX LIFESON CHORD?!!  WTF, dudes!!    :bitchslap: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Do you guys know the Alex Lifeson Chord?  NO?!  YOU DON'T KNOW THE FREAKIN' ALEX LIFESON CHORD?!!  WTF, dudes!!    :bitchslap: 

Exactly.

45 years later!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Slim said:

Something that I found quite striking, from the later part of the book.

Hide contents

This is one of the images from the book. Geddy and Alex in their dressing room after the very last Rush gig.

I'm posting it here because it illustrates something that's apparent from Geddy's book - the degree to which Neil, by the end of the band, is isolated from the other two. By this time he travels to the gigs separately, he has his own dressing room. And he even does the end of tour party separately from Geddy and Alex, as well.

geddy-alex-final.jpg

neil-iso-end.png

Yeah, that part was hard to read. I'm sure there were a lot of thoughts and feelings that Ged had at the time that he's edited out of his account in the book, in light of what came after, but still, that must have been a really difficult evening...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Principled Man said:

F#m11

Edited by grep

This is my insane busy time so it’s been slow reading for me. I’m at the part where he talks about dealing with fans and their awkwardness. 

I would bet a lot of money that the one who said all the songs on Presto were about him was Bill Banasiewicz. It just seems to fit. I know he became close enough where they each accepted him into their personal lives. And the Visons book reads almost like an autobiography of his own adventures with Rush. And that they cut him off for  an unclear reason. At first I’d heard he’d played unfinished demos on his radio program or something, but this fits too. The guy seemed a little obsessed. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:48 PM, Slim said:

Just saw this on Instagram a few minutes ago. I assume the spelling mistake isn't interntional.

interntional.png

Wow, Slim !!! I haven’t seen you in years!! I was someone you used to torment on CP:biggrin:

A _ _ _ _ _
T _ _
W _ _ _ _ _

:wave:

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 3

Just finished. I enjoyed the read, the new insights and history learned all over the pages. The holocaust chapter was very interesting. Can't help but think of Neil as the book wrapped up, of course. I used to pull up his website every week, hoping a new story had dropped. And after roughly May 2016, they just stopped.

If Geddy wants to perform a little more before his time is up, in any capacity, I hope he wills it into existence.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Slim said:

But there's a flat 7 in there as well. Not sure what it would be called, actually. F#11b7 maybe.

F#7add11?

• Like 2

I am at the AFTK Tour......the audio book is incredibly awesome. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Slim said:

But there's a flat 7 in there as well. Not sure what it would be called, actually. F#11b7 maybe.

Probably.  As  bass player the notation makes my head hurt. 

But the chord sure does sound pretty.

About 40 percent through now and still on 2112. Seems like a lot of stuff is not going to get covered. Quickly running out of real estate.

Actively not reading because I don't want to finish. Rationing myself to a chapter every once in a while.

Somebody needs to get their road crew together and write a book.

• Like 3

I am now at R30.........I have really enjoyed Ged’s reading. So good. 

He even mentioned the book had to be pared down. So much to cover. 

• Like 1

I'm just about finished with the book.  It's a good enough read but, as I expected, the music itself is pretty much glossed over throughout, some albums not really even getting more than a few sentences.  I was hoping for a little more insight on the music creation process and maybe some mentioning of moments of when they were inspired musically when coming up with a song.  There isn't a whole lot of that.

There's a certain "woe is us" tone at times in the book that bothers me a bit coming from a rich rock star.  I understand that Geddy and his bandmates made many sacrifices for their careers.  Should I feel bad about that?  It's something that is necessary for just about everyone over the course of their lives.  When I got to the part about the tragedy of Neil's wife and daughter, I couldn't help but think about people who go through similar situations but don't have the means to take years off travelling the world to try to find the inspiration to work again.  That is literally all I could think about while reading those passages.

Maybe I find the book a little too "lifestyles of the rich and famous" for my taste.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Relayer2112 said:

I'm just about finished with the book.  It's a good enough read but, as I expected, the music itself is pretty much glossed over throughout, some albums not really even getting more than a few sentences.  I was hoping for a little more insight on the music creation process and maybe some mentioning of moments of when they were inspired musically when coming up with a song.  There isn't a whole lot of that.

There's a certain "woe is us" tone at times in the book that bothers me a bit coming from a rich rock star.  I understand that Geddy and his bandmates made many sacrifices for their careers.  Should I feel bad about that?  It's something that is necessary for just about everyone over the course of their lives.  When I got to the part about the tragedy of Neil's wife and daughter, I couldn't help but think about people who go through similar situations but don't have the means to take years off travelling the world to try to find the inspiration to work again.  That is literally all I could think about while reading those passages.

Maybe I find the book a little too "lifestyles of the rich and famous" for my taste.

I get what you're saying, and it wore thin after a while.  That said, the early chapters are great.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 9:45 AM, Todem said:

I am now at R30.........I have really enjoyed Ged’s reading. So good. 

He even mentioned the book had to be pared down. So much to cover. 

Heard it was 1,200 pages originally, so there was a lot of paring down :sigh:  I am parsing it out myself, don't want to speed read it.  Enjoying the tale and listening to Geddy narrate it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, goose said:

I get what you're saying, and it wore thin after a while.  That said, the early chapters are great.

Agreed...I enjoyed the early chapters much more as they tended to focus on the importance of the music and what drove him to become the musician he ended up being.  His writing about his parents was very poignant also.

I think I enjoyed Martin Popoff's books better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Relayer2112 said:

Agreed...I enjoyed the early chapters much more as they tended to focus on the importance of the music and what drove him to become the musician he ended up being.  His writing about his parents was very poignant also.

How are those books?  Particularly the second two?  After listening to the guys on the Something for Nothing podcast interview him, it really put me off buying them.  The guy hates everything from Signals through Test for Echo.  It really made me question how he could write an objective history of the band, given that he has no interest in half their albums.  (And especially because the albums he hates are the ones I love the most.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Relayer2112 said:

Agreed on your agreed. The first third of the book felt great, and I enjoyed some of the closure the end provided, but things like the sections during the late 80s and early 90s felt both glossed over and bland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

How are those books?  Particularly the second two?  After listening to the guys on the Something for Nothing podcast interview him, it really put me off buying them.  The guy hates everything from Signals through Test for Echo.  It really made me question how he could write an objective history of the band, given that he has no interest in half their albums.  (And especially because the albums he hates are the ones I love the most.)

I enjoyed them quite a bit and flew through each of them.  Again, a little disappointed in the details about the music creation process in the Popoff books and was hoping that Geddy's book would fill in the gaps, but it does not.

I would guess that many memories of the writing/recording of their earlier albums are simply lost to time.  Not sure if Terry Brown has any books about his time with Rush or not. 

I've always enjoyed reading Neil's tour program notes in which he described the atmosphere of their recording sessions, especially those at Le Studio.  I don't know if any of Neil's books provide any more detail.

• Like 1