I Need a Lover...who did it better, Pat Benatar or John Cougar?

?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who did the better version of I Need a Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)?

Benatar does a fine job of singing in her version, and Neil Geraldo's guitar solo is typically weird and cool, but the music is kind of dry and sterile. Not much attitude there.

Benatar would've had to come up with something miraculous to beat Cougar's version. The opening jam, the snarly guitars, the vocals.  It's not even close.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

John Mellencamp is one of those artists, like Springsteen, who I didn't really "get," when I was a teenager but who, over the years, I've grown to appreciate.

That said, 73 is way off here.  Pat eats John's lunch all day every day.

This song and Rain On The Scarecrow are the only songs I like from Mellencamp. I too put him in the same category as Springsteen. I'm not a fan of most of the "heartland folk-rock" genre.

As far as vocal talent, yes, Benatar takes Mellancamp to school every day and twice on Sunday. But her superior talent doesn't make her version of this song better.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

This song and Rain On The Scarecrow are the only songs I like from Mellencamp. I too put him in the same category as Springsteen. I'm not a fan of most of the "heartland folk-rock" genre.

As far as vocal talent, yes, Benatar takes Mellancamp to school every day and twice on Sunday. But her superior talent doesn't make her version of this song better.

I’m not a John Cougar fan, I’m much more of a fan of Pat Benatar. You nailed it. 

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnRogers said:

I’m not a John Cougar fan, I’m much more of a fan of Pat Benatar. You nailed it. 

I'm actually more of a Cougar fan (or at least a Mellencamp fan) but I far prefer Benatar's version of the song.

38 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Benatar does a fine job of singing in her version, and Neil Geraldo's guitar solo is typically weird and cool, but the music is kind of dry and sterile. Not much attitude there.

Benatar would've had to come up with something miraculous to beat Cougar's version. The opening jam, the snarly guitars, the vocals.  It's not even close.

33 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

John Mellencamp is one of those artists, like Springsteen, who I didn't really "get," when I was a teenager but who, over the years, I've grown to appreciate.

Just to clarify my comment on Mellencamp's vocals in this song, I'm not saying his vocals are more impressive talent-wise than Benatar's -- they're not -- but they fit the music perfectly. His band is going pretty good in this tune. Benatar sings her ass off like she always does, but the music behind her is blah.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I didn't know Benatar did a version of that song.

You should do a deep dive in ver discography. She's fantastic. I assumed she wouldn't be as I only ever heard the same handful of overplayed songs over and over my whole life.

27 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Just to clarify my comment on Mellencamp's vocals in this song, I'm not saying his vocals are more impressive talent-wise than Benatar's -- they're not -- but they fit the music perfectly. His band is going pretty good in this tune. Benatar sings her ass off like she always does, but the music behind her is blah.

IMO, it's an average, catchy little song.  So the comparison, again IMO, is really between someone whose voice wasn't really made for "catchy little songs," and an outstanding singer.  I like Mellencamp better when he's doing stuff like Pink Houses or Rain on the Scarecrow.

Mellencamp's version is 100x better.  The piano adds so much to it.  The intro is wonderful.  The guitar work is much stronger.      

Benatar's version is borderline pop; it's weak and shallow.

Both Mellencamp and Benatar get a demerit point for bad grammar.  The lyric should be: I need a lover who won't drive me crazy....  :wink:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mellencamp lives in my home county, so has wound up meaning a lot to me. My dad and I love this song, with the incredible instrumental and John’s perfectly rock and roll delivery. Maybe it’s not his best, but it’s one of his most important being among his very first hits.

I’m also a casual fan of Benatar. My mom had just about all of her albums on vinyl and gave them to me when I got into records, but I actually haven’t spun most of them yet. As such, I haven’t heard her version of the song. I imagine it’s pretty great, but also just unlikely to topple Mellencamp’s for me. I have memories of riding in the passenger seat in my dad’s van with him telling me how great of a song it is while it blasted on the radio.

On 7/17/2023 at 11:24 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Agree with this assessment

• Like 1

Pat Benatar is the far superior singer. I like more of her songs than I like of John's. 

I am not a big fan of either overall, but each has enough songs that I could make an enjoyable single album.

I like Pat when she rocks and John when he has something serious to say that he manages to match tonally to music. 

In this case I like John's version better. Pat could and should have punched it up more, especially considering the stellar Heartbreaker that precedes it. John just has more musically going on. 

In fairness, John needs more musically than Pat, because her voice is so incredible. But this time, John wins.

Edited by Mosher

On 7/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

:yes:

On 7/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

OTOH, like Springsteen I didn't get Mellencamp and still don't.  Pat Benetar, no contest.

• Like 1