Led Zeppelin Presence

custom55

A couple of years ago someone on the internet was 3D printing copies of The Object.

I am not afraid to say that it's the coolest useless rock junk I own.  And I'm not one for collectables really.  :)

• Like 6

The parallels between Zeppelin's discography and Sabbath's during the first Ozzy era intrigues me.  I would say the second album is the best one.  4, 5, and 6 are the creative peak.  The seventh album is the worst.  The eighth is a slight step up from the seventh but still off the peak.

• Like 4

It took a while for this album to grow on me, outside of the instant affection for "Achilles Last Stand."  Great album -- it suffers only in comparison to their other peak output.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The parallels between Zeppelin's discography and Sabbath's during the first Ozzy era intrigues me.  I would say the second album is the best one.  4, 5, and 6 are the creative peak.  The seventh album is the worst.  The eighth is a slight step up from the seventh but still off the peak.

I tried to create a thread about this years ago, but didn't word it as well as what you just did. 1976 seemed to be a year of coming off the peak for both bands. Presence might have fared better if it didn't come right after the double whammy of Physical Graffiti. I didn't know about Presence at all for quite awhile. Did any of it get airplay when it was new? I didn't get into hard rock/heavy metal until the early 80's and had to work back from there.

• Like 2

It gets a right slagging in certain circles but I think it's a great album. Achilles Last Stand is magnificent.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, zepphead said:

It gets a right slagging in certain circles but I think it's a great album. Achilles Last Stand is magnificent.

What's interesting is that in the LZ subreddit, most of the people seem to really like Presence, and then look down on In Through The Out Door.  I much prefer ITTOD to Pr, though.  

But I am right there with Rick's assessment - LZ 2 is my favorite (I bought the tape when I was 15 and listened to it like crazy.)  Zoso, HotH , and PG are their creative peak, with PG being very close to being my favorite now. Presence is not so great, and ITTOD was  better, but not as great as the peak albums.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

What's interesting is that in the LZ subreddit, most of the people seem to really like Presence, and then look down on In Through The Out Door.  I much prefer ITTOD to Pr, though.  

But I am right there with Rick's assessment - LZ 2 is my favorite (I bought the tape when I was 15 and listened to it like crazy.)  Zoso, HotH , and PG are their creative peak, with PG being very close to being my favorite now. Presence is not so great, and ITTOD was  better, but not as great as the peak albums.

I think when we get down to Zepp's 'lesser' albums it's all just a matter of personal taste.

My view is that after Physical Graffiti, Zeppelin were on the wain from a creative perspective.

PG was for me on a personal level important due to the place I was in at the time of release. I was however a bit disappointed with ITTOD.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zepphead said:

I think when we get down to Zepp's 'lesser' albums it's all just a matter of personal taste.

My view is that after Physical Graffiti, Zeppelin were on the wain from a creative perspective.

PG was for me on a personal level important due to the place I was in at the time of release. I was however a bit disappointed with ITTOD.

It's absolutely a matter of personal taste. Personally, I gave up on saying "best" and "worst" years ago in and just talked in terms of "favorite" and "least favorite."  Granted, when I say a particular album is my favorite, I am saying it is the best, but only to me.

• Like 5

On 5/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, zepphead said:

️Achilles Last Stand ️ is my No.1 Fav 

Zep track, I jam along to it 🎸 at least once a week. 

• Like 5

I can listen to Presence but it's my last choice of a LZ album to put on. ALS is worth the price of admission, but only since it's first and you don't have to stick around for the rest of it, which is mainly Robert not singing that well and Jimmy being given a bit too much leash. Also, the hooks just aren't as good here as anywhere else in their discography.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I can listen to Presence but it's my last choice of a LZ album to put on. ALS is worth the price of admission, but only since it's first and you don't have to stick around for the rest of it, which is mainly Robert not singing that well and Jimmy being given a bit too much leash. Also, the hooks just aren't as good here as anywhere else in their discography.

Pretty much my sentiment. Nobody's Fault is killer, but beyond that and Achilles, it's just not the stuff I'll go to if I'm in the mood for Zep

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:03 PM, custom55 said:

I love this album and this youtuber covers Presence as well as all LZ's albums.

This guy's channel is insanely good. His series on In Through the Out Door and "Led Zeppelin in the 80's " were full of details I had no idea about.

• Like 1

It's good. Next to ITTOD it's probably considered their weakest (not counting Coda of course). However, I much prefer ITTOD as controversial as that opinion is. Achilles Last Stand is definitely the best track on Presence imo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, New_World_Man said:

It's good. Next to ITTOD it's probably considered their weakest (not counting Coda of course). However, I much prefer ITTOD as controversial as that opinion is. Achilles Last Stand is definitely the best track on Presence imo.

I prefer Door as well.  Plant's vocals are fantastic, and Jonesy is on fire

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 3:36 AM, Turbine Freight said:

Presence is a fabulous album. I really don't understand the hate it gets.

I like it, but it doesn't have the same impact as the other albums in their discography. Nobody's Fault But Mine is great, as is the absolute MASTERCLASS in heavy metal called Achilles Last Stand. The rest of the album is ok in my opinion, just not as special as the material in their other releases.

• Like 1