Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talas - If We Only Knew Then What We Know Now.
Talas - 1985.
The Winery Dogs - III.

Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

Rush- A Farewell To Kings

Rush- Roll The Bones 

Random order, I know. These could be my top five 

🤔… good choices Segue  :yes: 

Nice to see GuP (P/G) and CA in your current :rush: Top 5, and I like also that you’ve picked RTB rather than HYF or Presto from their late 80s-early 90s period.

👍🙂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔… good choices Segue  :yes: 

Nice to see GuP (P/G) and CA in your current :rush: Top 5, and I like also that you’ve picked RTB rather than HYF or Presto from their late 80s-early 90s period.

👍🙂

Grace Under Pressure has pretty much always been top five...I think a recent ranking I did saw it outside. That's because I'm stupid.

CA just keeps getting better and better. I like Presto, I don't love it anymore. Roll The Bones is beautiful. It's very slick and commercial, but it has a huge heart and many lyrics that get me motivated to stay positive. 

I do really love Hold Your Fire. At the moment I'd place that around 6 or 7. 

• Like 2

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour (still slaps)

Dashboard Confessional - Dusk & Summer (just drain my tear ducts)

Panic! At The Disco - A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out (such an impactful set of lyrics)

Panic! At The Disco - Pray For The Wicked (time to dance)

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty / American Psycho (the worst FoB record that I’ll willingly listen to, a few wins though)

Gentle Giant - Free Hand (could be their best)

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (great for repetitive work)

• Like 1

Bjorkvolta.png

Björk -- Volta (2007)

This one is marred by the nearly 8-minute "The Dull Flame of Desire." (Dull? Got that right. Plus I dislike that guest singer's voice.)

Love "Earth Intruders," though!

• Like 1

Dragonforce - Extreme Power Metal

Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints

First up, the las Dragonforce album.  This was not one of there better albums. (IMO).  I expected drop off as the album before it was excellent but not so much of a drop off.  Not the fault of the vocals or the musicianship.  Both of those were ok.  Problem was the song writing.  Not very good.  The best song by far was "The Last Dragonborn" which was rather good.  After that it was rather poor.  Competes with Ultra Beatdown for the title of Dragonforces worst album.  This inspire of having a very good song on it.

Moving onto Powerwolf, this may shock some of you, but I was not really thrilled by the album.  Great lead vocals but somehow the album did nothing for me.  Think I will put these guys to the side and eventually try them again after trying some other bands.  Really a disappointment.

7 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Dragonforce - Extreme Power Metal

Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints

First up, the las Dragonforce album.  This was not one of there better albums. (IMO).  I expected drop off as the album before it was excellent but not so much of a drop off.  Not the fault of the vocals or the musicianship.  Both of those were ok.  Problem was the song writing.  Not very good.  The best song by far was "The Last Dragonborn" which was rather good.  After that it was rather poor.  Competes with Ultra Beatdown for the title of Dragonforces worst album.  This inspire of having a very good song on it.

Moving onto Powerwolf, this may shock some of you, but I was not really thrilled by the album.  Great lead vocals but somehow the album did nothing for me.  Think I will put these guys to the side and eventually try them again after trying some other bands.  Really a disappointment.

Powerwolf feel like a band I should love. I was into them for a little while, but they got old fast. I still check out their stuff from time to time, but nothing really stands out. They are HUGE in Europe though, and in England they are rising fast as major players at festivals and in the metal/rock media.

I'm not sure I get why. 

• Like 1

Iced Earth- Something Wicked This Way Comes 

I've seen this album compared to Metallica's Black Album by fans. I sort of hear it, it is slicker and more commercial sounding compared to their prior albums, but only slightly. Nothing here catered to late nineties radio the way the black album did early, which is either a sign they stood their ground, or they were naive thinking this sound would land them in the big league, a few years too late.

All the same, this is one of my favourite albums, and it's just brimming over with fantastic songs. 

Savatage- Edge Of Thorns 

This might be my favourite Savatage album. 

• Like 1

Haken-Affinity(10/10)

I've Been obsessed with this band anndd this album in particular.  It's not often i call an album cool.  But this album is cool, lol.  The first time i heard 1985 back a few years i literally giggled.....i giggled!!!!!  you see bands metal or otherwise trying to do the 80's thing who are not of the 80's ALL THE TIME noww.  I don't think any quite nail it like haken does here one single bit.

Lapse

The Architect (THIS song too!!!!)

Earthrise

Bound by Gravity.

My next question......Why is this album not EVERYTHING to Segue????/ that's the REAL sad thing!!!

Mick

• Like 3

Wednesday - Friday

Super American - Sup

Sleep Token - One EP

Sleep Token - Two EP

Sleep Token - Sundowning

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

Wednesday - Friday

Super American - Sup

Sleep Token - One EP

Sleep Token - Two EP

Sleep Token - Sundowning

I f***ing LOVE SLEEP TOKEN!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I f***ing LOVE SLEEP TOKEN!!!!

They're intriguing. I will have to give them more listens. They are taking the path Ghost originally did by keeping all the band members anonymous. Hopefully that part works out for them longer since everyone kind of already knew who Ghost's vocalist was because of other bands he was in before. It might be a pain in the ass for them touring when it comes to getting in and out of the venues with fans hanging around and waiting to potentially take pictures of them walking by. Fans ruin things like that all the time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They're intriguing. I will have to give them more listens. They are taking the path Ghost originally did by keeping all the band members anonymous. Hopefully that part works out for them longer since everyone kind of already knew who Ghost's vocalist was because of other bands he was in before. It might be a pain in the ass for them touring when it comes to getting in and out of the venues with fans hanging around and waiting to potentially take pictures of them walking by. Fans ruin things like that all the time.

Very likely. I've been a fan of them for a while. Not played much recently but they are absolutely one of the best UK bands right now! They remind me a lot of Thrice at their most experimental, mixed with UK indie darlings Bastille. Just really creative, genreless music.

Glad you gave them a shot!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Haken-Affinity(10/10)

I've Been obsessed with this band anndd this album in particular.  It's not often i call an album cool.  But this album is cool, lol.  The first time i heard 1985 back a few years i literally giggled.....i giggled!!!!!  you see bands metal or otherwise trying to do the 80's thing who are not of the 80's ALL THE TIME noww.  I don't think any quite nail it like haken does here one single bit.

Lapse

The Architect (THIS song too!!!!)

Earthrise

Bound by Gravity.

My next question......Why is this album not EVERYTHING to Segue????/ that's the REAL sad thing!!!

Mick

Yep Mick ,

Affinity is my Fav Haken album too 

👍🙂

• Like 1