Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

5 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

The "diver down" flag: a white band sloping diagonally down on a red field. "VAN HALEN" in the top right corner, "DIVER DOWN" in the bottom left

What a load of bollocks that Van Halen thrust upon their fans with this one.  5 cover songs and 3 instrumentals.  Happy Trails?  Little Guitars is my favorite VH song, but other than that, ...so disappointing.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, yyz305 said:

Queen Hot Space.png

My least Favourite Queen album … it’s still good though … their ‘ worst ‘ is better IMHO than other bands ‘ best ‘ 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yyz305 said:

Queen Innuendo.png

🤔 Much like :rush:‘s  ‘ Clockwork Angels ‘ a very good  ’ official ‘ final studio album 👍🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

What a load of bollocks that Van Halen thrust upon their fans with this one.  5 cover songs and 3 instrumentals.  Happy Trails?  Little Guitars is my favorite VH song, but other than that, ...so disappointing.

I’ve read over the years that It was very much a ‘ Diamond Dave ‘ album..which was probably the start of the end of the Roth-VH Era.

Eddie wanted to be respected as not only a serious musician, but also a songwriter. 

11 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

A painting of a cherub smoking.

An amazing album … if Diver Down was almost a Dave solo album … this was very much the Van Halen brothers back with a vengeance ! 💥 a serious Hard Rock/Melodic Metal album :ROCK: 

Hot for Teacher, House of Pain, Girl Gone Bad, Drop Dead Legs all killer top tunes

- I’m 54 years young ..and this is the 1st time I’ve referred to songs as ‘ tunes ‘ rather than ‘ tracks ‘ 🤣🤣🤣

and :imo: their 2nd best overall album

just behind the debut. 
I personally much prefer this album over

Fair Warning :pirate:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

This album and Strange Days are just the best. I love all the Morrison albums but they struck gold on the first two. Sometimes I think I prefer SD.

Yep! Strange Days wins for me!

18 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Streets was my first album by them, but I'd rate it fairly low these days. I'd put this, Gutter Ballet, Sirens and Edge Of Thorns higher. One of my favourite bands and discographies

I liked Edge of Thorns but it was a "its ok" sort of like.  Sirens I enjoyed more.  When it comes to Gutter Ballet, sigh.  That was a major dud for me.  Pity since it sort of ruined their momentum from Hall of the Mountain King.  I know I am in a minority with that feeling - most Savatage fans really like it but I never enjoyed it.  Perhaps I will check it out again once of these days.  I do recognize that was a bridge album from Hall to Streets.  But I just did not enjoy it.

Power of the Night on the other hand... My 3rd favorite Savatage album.  That album I enjoyed a lot.  Also, and this again puts me in a very small minority, I kind of liked Fight for the Rock.  Not crazy for it but I enjoyed it.  But I can defiantly see how folks would not like it.

11 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

7 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I personally much prefer this album over

Fair Warning :pirate:

:wagfinger:x2

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I liked Edge of Thorns but it was a "its ok" sort of like.  Sirens I enjoyed more.  When it comes to Gutter Ballet, sigh.  That was a major dud for me.  Pity since it sort of ruined their momentum from Hall of the Mountain King.  I know I am in a minority with that feeling - most Savatage fans really like it but I never enjoyed it.  Perhaps I will check it out again once of these days.  I do recognize that was a bridge album from Hall to Streets.  But I just did not enjoy it.

Power of the Night on the other hand... My 3rd favorite Savatage album.  That album I enjoyed a lot.  Also, and this again puts me in a very small minority, I kind of liked Fight for the Rock.  Not crazy for it but I enjoyed it.  But I can defiantly see how folks would not like it.

So, you enjoyed Savatage earlier in their career when they were generic and sounded like every other metal band out there.

9 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I’ve read over the years that It was very much a ‘ Diamond Dave ‘ album..which was probably the start of the end of the Roth-VH Era.

Eddie wanted to be respected as not only a serious musician, but also a songwriter. 

I like it. It's in my car right now. It was Overnight Sensation by Motorhead today, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Power Of The Night is really great, I don't care what some fans say. Fight For The Rock is listenable, it just could have been released by anyone

I love all their albums after Edge Of Thorns. I just think they are one of the very, very best bands of all time. A lack of mainstream success doesn't change my perception that they were quietly super influential on later trending sounds and styles, same with Kings X. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

So, you enjoyed Savatage earlier in their career when they were generic and sounded like every other metal band out there.

To each their own, just happy to see Savatage get some love! I for one think Sirens and Dungeons Are Calling are classics.

Reminds me to check out Nevermore again. Three albums I've tried, and they were all major wins for me.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1