Dream Theater - Metropolis pt.2 SFAM   ‘99

(10/10) 

• Like 8

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane

I've loved everything I've heard by Dissection. This one is my favourite. 

Taylor Swift- Reputation 

I think this is my favourite album of the last ten years. 

47 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Boston - Boston  ‘76   (10/10)

Boston - Don’t Look Back   ‘78  (10/10)

Boston - Third Stage   ‘86 (7.5/10)

Dream Theater - Metropolis pt.2 SFAM   ‘99

(10/10) 

Man that is a fantastic group of albums:yes:

Mick

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Powerwolf feel like a band I should love. I was into them for a little while, but they got old fast. I still check out their stuff from time to time, but nothing really stands out. They are HUGE in Europe though, and in England they are rising fast as major players at festivals and in the metal/rock media.

I'm not sure I get why. 

I watched some parts of a couple live shows and they struck me as a band that really worked the crowed.  That  might explain why they are rising at festivals.

Glad you had the same reaction I had.  I sort of figured you might be one who would be like "what?" in response to my not being thrilled by them.  Like with you, they should be a band I should enjoy but no.  Not at all.  Least not based on the one album I tried.

• Like 1

72_Seasons.jpg

Had to give it a shot on our 5-hour drive to northern Illinois today. Unfortunately I found it completely generic and one-dimensional. Nothing to hook me and say, "I demand you listen to me again." Oh, well.

How do others feel?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Chronos said:

72_Seasons.jpg

Had to give it a shot on our 5-hour drive to northern Illinois today. Unfortunately I found it completely generic and one-dimensional. Nothing to hook me and say, "I demand you listen to me again." Oh, well.

How do others feel?

I've heard it twice and there is some good stuff. The title track mainly. But yeah, it's very same sounding. A number of the songs just blend together and the last song should be nowhere near 11 minutes. There's a lack of umph to a lot of it and not many songs stand out from the others.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I watched some parts of a couple live shows and they struck me as a band that really worked the crowed.  That  might explain why they are rising at festivals.

Glad you had the same reaction I had.  I sort of figured you might be one who would be like "what?" in response to my not being thrilled by them.  Like with you, they should be a band I should enjoy but no.  Not at all.  Least not based on the one album I tried.

They are good. I think they sound comparable to Sabaton, who are also one note, but I enjoy them a lot

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've heard it twice and there is some good stuff. The title track mainly. But yeah, it's very same sounding. A number of the songs just blend together and the last song should be nowhere near 11 minutes. There's a lack of umph to a lot of it and not many songs stand out from the others.

I like it. I feel they know their audience, a d cater well to both serious metal fans and the mainstream. I'm weird with Metallica, I don't love them like I feel I should but I also think they only have one dud: St Anger. I softened to that album once upon a time, I think I was delusional. Played it last week and it was f***ing atrocious.

I loved Hardwired. Will spin this some more. But people have compared this to their classic era, which I find odd as this to me fits in more with Load/ReLoad. Which suits me fine. Way less filler than those two, not sure anything matches the best of them though.

• Like 2

Metallica- 72 Seasons 

I will be honest, I disliked the singles. Still do. But there is some strong material here. As I said above, I'm not a fan of Metallica the way some are (I'm cooler on their classics than many metal fans, the only person I see on this forum who feels that way as well is Treeduck, I think), so I don't know if its worth sharing much of an opinion.

It's fine. I will spin it more. I'm still really big on Hardwired. For whatever reason, that's my favourite Metallica album alongside Ride The Lightning. 72 Seasons is strong. 

If you love it, I get it. Its nice to see Metallica deliver three strong albums in a row, but I can't tell if its an AMAZING album for the fans or my gut is right and it's just a nice radio metal release, but no more than that

• Like 3

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Haken-The mountain (10/10)

This band is getting on the same level as Dream Theater For me.

Mick

I've liked it all. They do prog how I like it, and prog metal how I love it.

The Mountain is my favourite.

Just now, Segue Myles said:

I've liked it all. They do prog how I like it, and prog metal how I love it.

The Mountain is my favourite.

it's funny cause they're too pure prog metal albums (Virus and Vector) are my least favs.  i think they're at their best when they blend classic prog and metal.

Affinity is my fav far and away though.

Mick

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's funny cause they're too pure prog metal albums (Virus and Vector) are my least favs.  i think they're at their best when they blend classic prog and metal.

Affinity is my fav far and away though.

Mick

Agreed. The metal is fantastic though, but they sacrifice a little too much of the early sound on them.

I'm rubbish with the album titles today! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box (Discs 2 and 3).  Greatest American rock and roll band?  Depends on whether you think Van Halen is a rock and roll band.

Good shout. It's highly probable. I listened to Night in the Ruts just a couple of days ago for the first time in ages whilst doing some paperwork and thought "What a killer band." From the debut up to and including NITR they were absolutely top tier rock n roll. As good as anyone & much better than most. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I f***ing LOVE SLEEP TOKEN!!!!

They're so good. They're starting to get a lot bigger over here, and I'm here for it. I really like how unique their sound is.

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Haken-The mountain (10/10)

This band is getting on the same level as Dream Theater For me.

Mick

Controversial opinion maybe, Haken is more progressive than Dream Theater. Dream Theater write long complex songs and are certainly progressive but they also have a formula and they stay prog within in that particular formula. Haken takes more outside the box chances with their writing and really define the word progressive more.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Controversial opinion maybe, Haken is more progressive than Dream Theater. Dream Theater write long complex songs and are certainly progressive but they also have a formula and they stay prog within in that particular formula. Haken takes more outside the box chances with their writing and really define the word progressive more.

Another thing i like more about Haken is they ALWAYS have a hook to grasp onto.  DT (especially with Portnoy in the band)  just wanked their instruments cause they could with no reason other than "song long.....and we are awesome."  and i love DT but that was always a weaker spot for them.

Haken can get very technical but there's ALWAYS that hook in there.

Mick

• Like 2

Friday and this morning:

Metallica - 72 Seasons

Derek Sanders - The Heavy Box EP

Squeeze - Argybargy (Vinyl)

Sleep Token - This Place Will Become Your Tomb

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, Chronos said:

Bj%C3%B6rk_-_Homogenic.png

Björk -- Homogenic (1997)

It's been SO long! I love her so much. I need to do a full marathon -- right now I'm bored of all these albums I've listened to a thousand times each over the last half-century.

Any other Björk-appreciators here??

:yes:

• Like 1