Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

Machine Head- The Blackening 

Blows me away every single time. I get shivers start to finish. 

Metallica- Master Of Puppets

After The Blackening, this does little for me.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane

In Flames- The Jester Race 

Dark Tranquility- The Gallery

Rhapsody Of Fire- The Frozen Tears Of Angels

Phenomenal album. 

And now:

Testament- Souls Of Black

I love this album. Terrible production but great songs are great songs. Definitely still my favourite US thrash metal band...though I feel Anthrax are rising for me.

Edited by Segue Myles

Metallica- 72 Seasons 

This album isn't garbage. But it is utterly forgettable.

Hope others here enjoy it more.

• Like 3

Savatage- Hall Of The Mountain King

Masterpiece 

• Like 2

Dream Theater- Train Of Thought 

This is such a special little album. Its so overlooked and yet I think it's quietly one of their greatest works. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, treeduck said:

overkill-white-devil-armory-5.jpg

testament-dark-roots-of-earth-5cd4.jpg

kreator-phantom-antichrist-5d8.jpg

I'm getting into Overkill atm. What a great band! And I haven't gotten to this Kreator album yet. I'm up to the last album of the nineties (forget the title). 

Really starting to love thrash as a genre more than before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm getting into Overkill atm. What a great band! And I haven't gotten to this Kreator album yet. I'm up to the last album of the nineties (forget the title). 

Really starting to love thrash as a genre more than before. 

For some reason Overkill went up a few gears with their 2010 album Ironbound and every other album since then has been killer too. I actually prefer these later albums to their earlier stuff.

• Like 1

Jimi.H.Exp - Axis Bold as Love ‘67 (10/10)

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak ‘76 (8/10)

Judas Priest - Ram it Down ‘88 (8/10)

Dream Theater - Images & Words ‘92 (9/10)

Muse - Drones, 2015 (9/10) 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, treeduck said:

For some reason Overkill went up a few gears with their 2010 album Ironbound and every other album since then has been killer too. I actually prefer these later albums to their earlier stuff.

As a newbie, what do you think happened?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I don't know. I just think that all their experience just came together and put them on top of their game like never before.

What other bands are worth trying? I enjoy Death Angel a lot. 

Dream Theater- A View From The Top Of The World

Had to take a break from the metal

Keane- Under The Iron Sea

Beautiful album.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Savatage- Hall Of The Mountain King

Masterpiece 

1000% agree - loved this album when it came out.  Every song is awesome.  They were never able to replicate its greatness although (IMO) Streets comes verrrrryyyy close.  Its also a masterpiece.  Great concept album but the individual songs are not as great the individual songs on Hall of the Mountain King.  In fact, I used to rank Streets even above this and only in recent years have I come to reverse  my ranking - which is an indication of the strength of both albums for me.  Its also an indication of my getting to appreciate the songs on Hall even more as I have aged, not that Streets has not aged well - it has aged well for me.

Yes, its a masterpiece that we were very lucky to get.  I understand that the band was broke when they did the record and considering braking up.  Their producer for the album contacted them and told them he would pay their bills while they did the album because he saw something in them and thought they had a great album in them.  Arn't we lucky?!

• Like 1

Decided to do some more exploring of a band that is on my list to check out.

Beyond the Black - Beyond the Black

Beyond the Black - Horizons

Beyond the Black - Songs of Love and Death

From the self titled album I thought "Dancing in the Dark" was the best song.  I heard it might be a cover of the Springstein song but thankfully it was not.  For a second best song, it s a tie between "Into the Light" and "Is there anybody out there".  Overall its a decent pop metal album.  Good vocals.

From Horizons I would say the best song is a 3 way tie between "Some Kind of Monster", "Human" & "Welcome to My Wasteland".  That being said, none of the 3 are very good and the album overall went way to much in a pop direction for me.  Nothing else is really even worth listening to.  Not an album I would bother listing to again.

From Song of Love and Death I would say my favorite song was "In the Shadows".  2nd favorite is a 3 way tie between "Pearl in a World of Dirt", the title track, & "Numb".  Again, good vocals.  Ok album.  Not wiled about the band but I will at least check out some more of their work.  

Their self titled album (their most recent album) is clearly the best album they have done.