15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I saw your comment but not what album you played

Good Apollo Vol I

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I think, knowing your tastes, the next album to try is their renaissance moment, after three albums post Shogun that saw their audience dwindle into near obscurity: The Sin And The Sentence. That album came out of nowhere in 2017 and blew away fans, critics and even the naysayers. Even got them their first Grammy nomination. And the two albums since then are arguably greater. 

I think I’ll stick with Shogun just a bit longer first, to let it sink in.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Good Apollo Vol I

Oh play their first two albums! Forget the names but they are both killer. You'll really hear their classic emo roots as well. Catch up before moving forwards.

In my opinion, not a bad album. Like Rush, some seem at first over polished or too commercial, but time has been kind to them

• Like 1

God idea. However, Sin And The Sentence is a lot more palatable. Shogun is kind of an anomaly in their discography. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh play their first two albums! Forget the names but they are both killer. You'll really hear their classic emo roots as well. Catch up before moving forwards.

In my opinion, not a bad album. Like Rush, some seem at first over polished or too commercial, but time has been kind to them

Yeah the polish and the emo influence were the first things I noticed about them. It actually turned me off at first because I’d read about them being a prog metal band, so all the catchy hooks and production sheen threw me for a loop. Okay, I’ll take a look at those!

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

God idea. However, Sin And The Sentence is a lot more palatable. Shogun is kind of an anomaly in their discography. 

What makes it an anomaly?

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

To give you a taste:

Trivium have never released the same sounding album twice, but they did finally settle into a sound on this record, and the two since have explored it with many diverse influences

• Like 2

Yes

Close To the Edge (10/10)

The Yes Album (10/10)

Fragile (7/10)

Relayer (10/10)

Rediscovering Yes........and i'm kinda obsessed.

CTTE is classic For a reason.  The title epic may the TIGHTEST epic ever recorded not an ounce of fat on it.  And you And I is beautiful.  Siberian Khatru is fun.

The yes album is my fav album.....Always has been.  I mean Starship Trooper.....I've seen all good People, Yours Is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change.  Just gorgeous prog.

Fragile is probably my least fav of this group and here's why.  the Main group of SONG songs are all great.  Roundabout, South Side of the Sky (the main groove of this is just filthy.....i love it)  and Heart of the Sunrise.  The shorter blurbs all over this album bring it down something heavy.

Relayer.......oh my Relayer.  My 2nd fav Yes album.  and thank you Patrick Moraz for that .  He really is the reason.  I love they went for a COOMPLETLY different style player after Wakeman.  Moraz plays jazzier more frantic.  they may turn some off.  But to me it injects this album so much.  the Mid-point of Gates of Delirium is INSANE folks.

Yes needs more credit from me and they have it.

Mick

• Like 4

What makes it an anomaly?

It's extremely proggy, and it just has something that really makes it a standout album. Before this one they had two metalcore albums with heavy thrash metal influence, and a failed attempt at a Black Album type modern thrash record. 

When this came out, it was just what they needed to do to redeem themselves. It's probably their creative  high water mark. It's relentlessly heavy and experimental, and sounds like no one else.

The following three albums were all very different, with one dip that saw them take on Disturbed like tendencies. I happen to enjoy that one, but it was a misstep.

Then Matt broke his voice and they did a scream free album called Silence In The Snow. Classic metal vibes, very underrated but slightly one note.

Sin And The Sentence, What The Dead Men Say and In The Court Of The Dragon are phenomenal albums. Critics and fans speak of Court as being possibly their greatest moment.

I can't see them dipping,  they seem to be on fire atm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

The Yes Album (10/10)

Fragile (7/10)

Relayer (10/10)

CTTE is classic For a reason.  The title epic may the TIGHTEST epic ever recorded not an ounce of fat on it.  And you And I is beautiful.  Siberian Khatru is fun.

The yes album is my fav album.....Always has been.  I mean Starship Trooper.....I've seen all good People, Yours Is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change.  Just gorgeous prog.

Fragile is probably my least fav of this group and here's why.  the Main group of SONG songs are all great.  Roundabout, South Side of the Sky (the main groove of this is just filthy.....i love it)  and Heart of the Sunrise.  The shorter blurbs all over this album bring it down something heavy.

Relayer.......oh my Relayer.  My 2nd fav Yes album.  and thank you Patrick Moraz for that .  He really is the reason.  I love they went for a COOMPLETLY different style player after Wakeman.  Moraz plays jazzier more frantic.  they may turn some off.  But to me it injects this album so much.  the Mid-point of Gates of Delirium is INSANE folks.

Mick

I love Yes. I'm glad you're having a resurgence, I did last year. Gives me hope you will find Rush again

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

To give you a taste:

Trivium have never released the same sounding album twice, but they did finally settle into a sound on this record, and the two since have explored it with many diverse influences

Cool! 

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It's extremely proggy, and it just has something that really makes it a standout album. Before this one they had two metalcore albums with heavy thrash metal influence, and a failed attempt at a Black Album type modern thrash record. 

When this came out, it was just what they needed to do to redeem themselves. It's probably their creative  high water mark. It's relentlessly heavy and experimental, and sounds like no one else.

The following three albums were all very different, with one dip that saw them take on Disturbed like tendencies. I happen to enjoy that one, but it was a misstep.

Then Matt broke his voice and they did a scream free album called Silence In The Snow. Classic metal vibes, very underrated but slightly one note.

Sin And The Sentence, What The Dead Men Say and In The Court Of The Dragon are phenomenal albums. Critics and fans speak of Court as being possibly their greatest moment.

I can't see them dipping,  they seem to be on fire atm.

Well I do love a diverse catalogue!

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Yes. I'm glad you're having a resurgence, I did last year. Gives me hope you will find Rush again

Shhh, don’t say the quiet part out loud, lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Cool! 

Yeah I see their last three albums being perfect for you, and they make an excellent entry point into several diverse metal genres. They take a lot of influences and really polish them. Death, thrash, black, prog, even glam and emo have emerged in their sound, but it's always highly melodic. 

Without Trivium, I'd never have tried bands as diverse as Emperor, Celtic Frost, In Flames, Dissection, Testament, Opeth, and many more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

The Yes Album (10/10)

Fragile (7/10)

Relayer (10/10)

Mick

Relayer’s risen a lot in my estimation lately, but I still don’t think it touches those first three you mentioned. Fragile is such a bewildering record, like they didn’t know they’d found perfection so they put a bunch of oddities in just to fix the album length. There aren’t any little solo tracks I particularly dislike, but The Fish is probably the only one that should be there. Maybe toss in Mood For A Day too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Yeah I see their last three albums being perfect for you, and they make an excellent entry point into several diverse metal genres. They take a lot of influences and really polish them. Death, thrash, black, prog, even glam and emo have emerged in their sound, but it's always highly melodic. 

Without Trivium, I'd never have tried bands as diverse as Emperor, Celtic Frost, In Flames, Dissection, Testament, Opeth, and many more.

Alright, I’ll keep that in mind when moving forward. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

It's a good record which is only marred for me by Feels So Good which is a dud and I'm ambivalent regarding When It's Love. Other than that it's pretty solid.

When It's Love has a nice personal memory for me (it was playing in the background, not the song itself per se), but those sappy ballads are just part of the Sammy-era I learned to live with.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well I do love a diverse catalogue!

Yeah if you're finding Shogun to be good, but you are still taking it all in, try something else.

This song is from The Crusade, the album before Shogun. It's almost straight up classic thrash, but in a way that still sounded very fresh. This album was reviled when it was released but it has had a major fanbase revival in recent years.

Again, nothing like Shogun:

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Relayer’s risen a lot in my estimation lately, but I still don’t think it touches those first three you mentioned. Fragile is such a bewildering record, like they didn’t know they’d found perfection so they put a bunch of oddities in just to fix the album length. There aren’t any little solo tracks I particularly dislike, but The Fish is probably the only one that should be there. Maybe toss in Mood For A Day too.

I love Relayer because it is such an ugly duckling.  They went from Bloated and just weird (Tales) to just frantic.  Face it both of these are STRANGE choices after CTTE., lol.

I didn't play Tales yet because well it was late and i would have fallen asleep.

Fragile......i totally agree.  They got Wakeman, Wrote some of their best pieces yet and then said this isn't good enough?  those link pieces just kill the mood for me.  Except maybe mood For A Day.  I see it as an intro to Sunrise.

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

I love Relayer because it is such an ugly duckling.  They went from Bloated and just weird (Tales) to just frantic.  Face it both of these are STRANGE choices after CTTE., lol.

I didn't play Tales yet because well it was late and i would have fallen asleep.

Fragile......i totally agree.  They got Wakeman, Wrote some of their best pieces yet and then said this isn't good enough?  those link pieces just kill the mood for me.  Except maybe mood For A Day.  I see it as an intro to Sunrise.

Mick

I love Tales but I don't think it is a one sit album. I usually play the songs separately

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Tales but I don't think it is a one sit album. I usually play the songs separately

you'll notice i didn't insult it cause it's been a while with Yes for me and i'm honestly going to give it a go.  in my mood with yes you never know.

90125 has become a fav so anything is possible.

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

you'll notice i didn't insult it cause it's been a while with Yes for me and i'm honestly going to give it a go.  in my mood with yes you never know.

90125 has become a fav so anything is possible.

Mick

That's cool! I've noticed myself bopping along at work when I'm doing paperwork and their eighties singles pop up. On the station Planet Rock, I've heard songs from this album as well as older. Hearing them in the context of classic rock radio amongst many other giant bands has helped me see how diverse they were.

I think it's time to revisit Yes!

Tales is great, I think it's a masterpiece but a flawed one.

The first track is my favourite Yes epic (though CTTE is, as you say, tightly produced and without fault).

I love the albums Tormato and Drama. How do you feel about them?

• Like 2

Yes-Going For The One (7/10)

This is where the wheels start coming off Version 1 of yes for me (i mean the OG prog version)

It has some moments though.  Really Love the  title song, Turn of the Century and Wonderous Stories

Most foks seem to Love awaken.  However i find to meandering to get in to.

Yes was a band burnig out.  and man did Yes Need that mid 80's shot in the arm.

Also i  still have to revisit Drama.

Mick

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Comalies XX

Newer fans seem to love this. Me? If I treat it as an experiment, I quite like some of these new versions, but more as a novelty. However, though NOTHING surpasses the original, Cristina seems to vocally handle the new Heavens A Lie better live, and I enjoy the new Daylight Dancer and Unspoken.

I have a strong feeling they made this album to accommodate the singers vocal evolutions. Cristina rarely sings live with her lower register these days, and Andrea is far more comfortable screaming. Does this mean it's great? Nope.

I don't hate the new arrangements, I think it's smart to let fans get their head around new versions for live shows, but if this is what Comalies would sound like in 2022 had it never been released, then I think it's fair to say I doubt it would have had the same impact.

Just as I don't want to contemplate how Delirium might have sounded in the early 2000s, I don't really feel I can accept that the band thinks that this is superior. 

But it has bridged the divide between the new and old school fans very well. I've seen fans discuss finally connecting with old Lacuna Coil, and older fans have enjoyed hearing the songs with a fresh new perspective...

...but to my ears they already released a terrific updated take on Comalies sound and it is called Broken Crown Halo.

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes-Going For The One (7/10)

This is where the wheels start coming off Version 1 of yes for me (i mean the OG prog version)

It has some moments though.  Really Love the  title song, Turn of the Century and Wonderous Stories

Most foks seem to Love awaken.  However i find to meandering to get in to.

Yes was a band burnig out.  and man did Yes Need that mid 80's shot in the arm.

Also i  still have to revisit Drama.

Mick

I prefer this to Relayer, but I might change my mind

• Like 2