Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 2 nights I spent exploring another band thats been on my list to check out:

Symphony X - Symphony X

Symphony X - The Damnation Game

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite

Symphony X - The Odyssey

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Holly crud.  Glad I checked this band out,  very impressive stuff.  I think I liked The Divine Wings of Tragedy more than any of the other albums, followed by The Damnation Game & the The Odyssey.  Songs that really stood out (in no particular order) include "The accolade", "Pharaoh", "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" (all from that album)  & "The Odyssey".  That being said, their is a ton of really good music here.  Got to mention the vocalist as well.  Not thrilled with the vocals on the first album but after that  - wow.  At times I thought I was listening to Queens vocalist and at times I thought I was listening to Ronnie James Dio.  Really good band.

• Like 1

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/72_Seasons.jpg

Best way to describe this album?  Kinda like garage days but original material.  The songs just seem to be long jam sesions that are not refined.  I still like it but I wouldn't give an unknown artist the same time or respect.  6/10

• Like 3

Jethro Tull -- Rokflote

I've been listening to this a lot, and I really like it.  These little songs have so many nice hooks, courtesy of both the flutes and the vocals.  The new guitarist did a great job and lent the stuff heaviness that Ian's material has lacked for years.  Hammer on Hammer is my favorite track, but there are plenty of other quality ones--Wolf Unchained, The Perfect One, Feathered Consort, Guardian's Watch, and so on.  Trickster has a Celtic sound to it reminiscent of Tull's classic rustic stuff.  The intro for The Navigators is a lot like that of another great Tull track, Dangerous Veils.  Being into Norse mythology, I like the theme of the album as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

The last 2 nights I spent exploring another band thats been on my list to check out:

Symphony X - Symphony X

Symphony X - The Damnation Game

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite

Symphony X - The Odyssey

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Holly crud.  Glad I checked this band out,  very impressive stuff.  I think I liked The Divine Wings of Tragedy more than any of the other albums, followed by The Damnation Game & the The Odyssey.  Songs that really stood out (in no particular order) include "The accolade", "Pharaoh", "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" (all from that album)  & "The Odyssey".  That being said, their is a ton of really good music here.  Got to mention the vocalist as well.  Not thrilled with the vocals on the first album but after that  - wow.  At times I thought I was listening to Queens vocalist and at times I thought I was listening to Ronnie James Dio.  Really good band.

I love this band! I really connected with them recently

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chronos said:

IronMaidenNoPrayerForTheDying.jpg

One of my faves. Probably in my top six

• Like 2

Rush- Roll The Bones 

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Copeland- In Motion

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cyclonus X-1 said:

Jethro Tull -- Rokflote

I've been listening to this a lot, and I really like it.  These little songs have so many nice hooks, courtesy of both the flutes and the vocals.  The new guitarist did a great job and lent the stuff heaviness that Ian's material has lacked for years.  Hammer on Hammer is my favorite track, but there are plenty of other quality ones--Wolf Unchained, The Perfect One, Feathered Consort, Guardian's Watch, and so on.  Trickster has a Celtic sound to it reminiscent of Tull's classic rustic stuff.  The intro for The Navigators is a lot like that of another great Tull track, Dangerous Veils.  Being into Norse mythology, I like the theme of the album as well.

So you like the vocals then?

Jethro Tull - RökFlöte :: Rock Report

Being a real glutton for punishment I gave this another spin.

Then it came to me!!!!! ........ perhaps I should send Ian an email to ask if he would consider releasing an instrumental version of it. 

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

This album is such a masterpiece. I love all the songs at this point, which makes this album somewhat similar for me to Roll The Bones in that once upon a time, I really didn't, lol. 

• Like 6

Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

• Like 2

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

This is such a great album, isn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

This is such a great album, isn't it?

I’ve grown quickly very attached to it.

”Jessie, bad boy, just come look at what your brother did…”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve grown quickly very attached to it.

”Jessie, bad boy, just come look at what your brother did…”

I have a band and album to recommend you: Copeland- Beneath Medicine Tree

Gentle, soulful emo with a laid back jazzy vibe, it's a beautiful pop album. Hard to really categorise, but they I think are right up your alley. The story behind the album is sad as well, but its just wonderful.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zepphead said:

So you like the vocals then?

I don't mind how Ian's voice sounds, and I think many of the vocal melodies are fantastic.  If I were to have an issue there, it would just be that there's so little he can do with his voice now that it limits where the songs can go dynamically.  But the guitarwork helped in that area.

Ian has been singing this way for decades.  If I try to think back to the last time he exhibited anything remotely close to the power and richness he sang with in the early years, it might be This Is Not Love on Catfish Rising.  That was over thirty years ago.  People who think his later work has been ruined by the state of his voice have had ample time to realize that and then avoid it.  He's almost eighty years old, and he's had serious throat issues.  I think he's doing well for himself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

you know EP you could just write Good Apollo:laugh:

Fantastic record though.

Mick

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don't think that album title is as long as some of Rob Zombie's are.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cyclonus X-1 said:

I don't mind how Ian's voice sounds, and I think many of the vocal melodies are fantastic.  If I were to have an issue there, it would just be that there's so little he can do with his voice now that it limits where the songs can go dynamically.  But the guitarwork helped in that area.

Ian has been singing this way for decades.  If I try to think back to the last time he exhibited anything remotely close to the power and richness he sang with in the early years, it might be This Is Not Love on Catfish Rising.  That was over thirty years ago.  People who think his later work has been ruined by the state of his voice have had ample time to realize that and then avoid it.  He's almost eighty years old, and he's had serious throat issues.  I think he's doing well for himself.

I don't disagree with you. Yes, for a man of his age and bearing in mind the throat problems he has encountered, he is doing well. 

If this album (and also Zealot Game) had been released as Ian Anderson solo albums, I would have said, fine, you know what to expect.

But for them to be released as Tull albums, it just doesn't sit well with me. Tull split in 2012 and it all should have stopped there. Everything since then have really only been Ian Anderson solo projects.

Obviously this is only my view. As a long term Tull fan I am probably a bit biased on the subject!!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Trivium-The Sin and the Sentence (10/10)

Mick

The Revanchist blows me away every time. Atm, it's my go to Trivium album.  After two, arguably three, divisive albums, this was a gamechanger

I'm excited for a fourth album in this vein. The three so far have shown how much they can explore their sound whilst finally commiting to a clear cut direction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

The Revanchist blows me away every time. Atm, it's my go to Trivium album.  After two, arguably three, divisive albums, this was a gamechanger

I'm excited for a fourth album in this vein. The three so far have shown how much they can explore their sound whilst finally commiting to a clear cut direction. 

The past 3 (This, What the Dead Men say and In the Court Of the Dragon)  have all found a groove for them and honestly this sound is my fav Trivium.  Yes the earlier is classic but i prefer this newer era.  i swear they could make a million more albums in this vein.  i'd never once complain.

Mick

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

The past 3 (This, What the Dead Men say and In the Court Of the Dragon)  have all found a groove for them and honestly this sound is my fav Trivium.  Yes the earlier is classic but i prefer this newer era.  i swear they could make a million more albums in this vein.  i'd never once complain.

Mick

As a massive Trivium fan, one of the most frustrating issues I had growing up with them was their tendency to change every single album. Some will call that being a positive, but Ascendancy was treated like an embarrassment by the band when they committed to changing on The Crusade. Sure, I love that album but then they changed for the better on Shogun.

But then In Waves came out, ANOTHER CHANGE IN DIRECTION but its still not clear to me exactly what they were aiming for with that album (which I also love, but still feel it lacks something).

And then ANOTHER CHANGE followed by another...interest was dwindling. 

Then TSATS arrives, and crazily sounds like the band have finally taken everything they have ever done and nailed it in one album. WTFMS comes next...and finally an album that picks up from the previous album, without sounding tired. Then Court comes...that's three albums in a style the band has committed too and it's still exciting!

Had Sin come out after In Waves, I think the band would have avoided the largely Indifferent attitudes fans had for a while.

I may still feel Ascendancy is their most important and exciting album, but the last three albums are the best era for Trivium. They are so focused, it's like they stopped trying to be everybody else and found their own sound. Without these three albums, I'm not sure where I'd stand with this band. I can't explain how much I love them. For ages I thought it was a nostalgic thing, but with Sin they blew me away just like they did when I was 14, and I've seen them take on a whole new wave of fans, including many who I used to see hate on them.

Sorry for the essay, but Trivium make me very proud. 

• Like 3