Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

8 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

That's cool! I've noticed myself bopping along at work when I'm doing paperwork and their eighties singles pop up. On the station Planet Rock, I've heard songs from this album as well as older. Hearing them in the context of classic rock radio amongst many other giant bands has helped me see how diverse they were.

I think it's time to revisit Yes!

Tales is great, I think it's a masterpiece but a flawed one.

The first track is my favourite Yes epic (though CTTE is, as you say, tightly produced and without fault).

I love the albums Tormato and Drama. How do you feel about them?

Tormato.......we'll find out shortly, lol

it's next up.

Mick

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes

Close To the Edge (10/10)

The Yes Album (10/10)

Fragile (7/10)

Relayer (10/10)

Rediscovering Yes........and i'm kinda obsessed.

CTTE is classic For a reason.  The title epic may the TIGHTEST epic ever recorded not an ounce of fat on it.  And you And I is beautiful.  Siberian Khatru is fun.

The yes album is my fav album.....Always has been.  I mean Starship Trooper.....I've seen all good People, Yours Is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change.  Just gorgeous prog.

Fragile is probably my least fav of this group and here's why.  the Main group of SONG songs are all great.  Roundabout, South Side of the Sky (the main groove of this is just filthy.....i love it)  and Heart of the Sunrise.  The shorter blurbs all over this album bring it down something heavy.

Relayer.......oh my Relayer.  My 2nd fav Yes album.  and thank you Patrick Moraz for that .  He really is the reason.  I love they went for a COOMPLETLY different style player after Wakeman.  Moraz plays jazzier more frantic.  they may turn some off.  But to me it injects this album so much.  the Mid-point of Gates of Delirium is INSANE folks.

Yes needs more credit from me and they have it.

Mick

Yes, totally agree on Fragile. It's great, not great enough to beat out the others. And admittedly, I'm still kinda coming around with Relayer. It's always been a grower album for me but I do really like it. Might be Alan White's career peak

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes-Going For The One (7/10)

This is where the wheels start coming off Version 1 of yes for me (i mean the OG prog version)

It has some moments though.  Really Love the  title song, Turn of the Century and Wonderous Stories

Most foks seem to Love awaken.  However i find to meandering to get in to.

Yes was a band burnig out.  and man did Yes Need that mid 80's shot in the arm.

Also i  still have to revisit Drama.

Mick

i respect this and totally understand it. i love this one though lol, might even go over Fragile for me. and I immediately loved Drama. Downes and Horn work very well together and what they bring to Yes creates the epitome of "turning point from 70s to 80s" album.

3 minutes ago, ST3V said:

i respect this and totally understand it. i love this one though lol, might even go over Fragile for me. and I immediately loved Drama. Downes and Horn work very well together and what they bring to Yes creates the epitome of "turning point from 70s to 80s" album.

i know lots love GFTO and i see why i just......for me after Relayer because i love it.  this was less.

and we'll get to Tormator soon:oops:

:laugh:

i'm playing it...yeeea just wait, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Yes-Tormato (3/10)

Yikes......this album is a band just gassed.  and this was the late 70's this must have seemed so uncool at  the time.  Because it's uncool NOW:laugh2:

Um.......wht even IS this album.

Don't Kill the Whale? (yea but please kill me:laugh:)

Release Release.....me into deaths embrace i think, lol

Some UFO dookie song

Soething about a circus?

yea but i liked onward so there's that.

this was pretty bad guys, lol drugs and burnout  folks

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes-Drama (10/10)

Well Damn.  I forgot how great this album was  treading the line between Prog and pop pretty perfectly.

Machine Messiah (badass)

Does it Really happen

Into the Lens (my fav song...prog/pop goodness)

Tempest Fugit

Kinda makes me wish this configuration had stayed

Downes/Horn/Howe/Squire/White gelled really well.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Trivium - Shogun

Coheed And Cambria - GAIBSIVVI:FFTTEOM

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yes-Drama (10/10)

Well Damn.  I forgot how great this album was  treading the line between Prog and pop pretty perfectly.

Machine Messiah (badass)

Does it Really happen

Into the Lens (my fav song...prog/pop goodness)

Tempest Fugit

Kinda makes me wish this configuration had stayed

Downes/Horn/Howe/Squire/White gelled really well.

Mick

really wish White Car was longer, but yeah that lineup was a nice fresh sound that was needed at the time. 

and technically they did get back together in 2011, except with a different vocalist

parts of the Fly From Here suite were actually written by Downes and Horn in late 70s, thats what they first played when auditioning for Yes and it was automatic. did a great job reimagining it for the album. and IMO that suite is one of the bands best songs (could be shorter, its their longest song after all when combined)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Trivium - Shogun

I often give up with typing that title out as well!

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima 

I love this album. Everything about it is great except the mix. But great songs are great songs, I bloody enjoyed this, possibly more than ever before!

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Lacuna Coil- Black Anima 

I love this album. Everything about it is great except the mix. But great songs are great songs, I bloody enjoyed this, possibly more than ever before!

Okay just realised this album turns four this year...that makes this the second longest between original albums since Comalies to Karmacode.

Trivium- The Sin And The Sentence 

This album blew me away in 2017, and it still blows me away now. I'd say this is their greatest album post- Ascendancy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Trivium - Shogun

You should give What The Dead Men Say from Trivium a listen. That's my favorite album from them. Although Segue is the expert on the band so he's better suited to guide you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You should give What The Dead Men Say from Trivium a listen. That's my favorite album from them. Although Segue is the expert on the band so he's better suited to guide you.

Any of the last three are fantastic. WTDMS is one of my go to recommendations. 

Odd, I feel every album could be a decent entry, but the last three are *chef's kiss*

Once upon a time, Shogun was the album I used to show people how great Trivium are, but the last three are so brilliant I feel everyone into metal should try them!

• Like 2

Just now, Chronos said:

Jethro_Tull_Rokflote.jpg

Just dropped today. A pleasant enough listen, in spite of Ian's ailing voice and Martin's conspicuous absence. It's better than 72 Seasons, anyway 😆

What even is that artwork. That screams "bottom of the pack and we know it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cosmonaut Cassettes - 47

Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Björk - Vespertine

Blink-182 - Enema Of The State

• Like 1

The Hu - Rumble of Thunder

No, I was not listening to The Who, I was listening to The Hu.  Ok, so you may be asking "Who are The Hu?  Or what are The Hu"".  Yes, I am having fun with this!!

The Hu are a folk metal band from Mongolia.  Yes, they sing in Mongolian.  Since I don't speak Mongolian I can't exactly tell you what their songs are about.  From some of the youtube comments I could get an idea plus I could get sort of an idea from their video's.  Their songs seem to be about the great Kahn (who seems to be great  - not a shock), about nature and how wonderful it (the wind, the stars, horses, eagles, crows, the grass, wolves etc) is, & how the Chinese are not so great (esp. when they try to invade Mongolia).  Thats just a very rough idea however.  I could be very wrong.

For instruments you get a variety of traditional Mongolian stringed instruments, traditional drums, electric guitar / bass & modern (rock) drums.  As said, they sing in Mongolian using Mongolian throat singing.  They sound a little like traditional native American music (not a shock IMO) plus a very little (here and there) like a a country band, a little (very little) like they were influenced by southern rock, some like they were influenced by traditional heavy metal / hard rock (in particular Metallica) and a lot of, well, I don't really know.  Something very different.  But interesting.

I found out about them when I watched a video on youtube of the reactor "The Charismatic Voice" reacting to one of their songs.  It interested me so I put them on my list to try and i finally worked them in.

They have done a song with somebody who used to be in Alice in Chains and another song with Lizzy Hale of Halestorm.  Not that either of those facts is a recommendation in my book - other than The Rooster I did not care for Alice in Chains and I don't care for Halestrom.  But for them to have toured in the US and England and worked with the above clearly they have gotten some traction.  They are also going to play at Hellfast this year.  For them to get on a big festival like that they must be getting some interest.

Best song on the album?  Hard to say.  Its a toss up between "Bil Biyelgee", "Upright Destined Mongol", "Black Thunder" (part 2 - which comes several songs before part 1, no idea why), "Segee", "Tartar Warrior" or "Shihi Hutu".

They are actually pretty good - going to explore more of them.

Which brings me to the next thing I tried

The Hu - Sad But True

This was a single they released of them covering the Metallica song.  So if you want to listen to Metallica sung in Mongolian here is your chance.  Its... interesting.  Actually, I found it enjoyable.   

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

No, I was not listening to The Who, I was listening to The Hu.  Ok, so you may be asking "Who are The Hu?  Or what are The Hu"".  Yes, I am having fun with this!!

The Hu are a folk metal band from Mongolia.  Yes, they sing in Mongolian.  Since I don't speak Mongolian I can't exactly tell you what their songs are about.  From some of the youtube comments I could get an idea plus I could get sort of an idea from their video's.  Their songs seem to be about the great Kahn (who seems to be great  - not a shock), about nature and how wonderful it (the wind, the stars, horses, eagles, crows, the grass, wolves etc) is, & how the Chinese are not so great (esp. when they try to invade Mongolia).  Thats just a very rough idea however.  I could be very wrong.

For instruments you get a variety of traditional Mongolian stringed instruments, traditional drums, electric guitar / bass & modern (rock) drums.  As said, they sing in Mongolian using Mongolian throat singing.  They sound a little like traditional native American music (not a shock IMO) plus a very little (here and there) like a a country band, a little (very little) like they were influenced by southern rock, some like they were influenced by traditional heavy metal / hard rock (in particular Metallica) and a lot of, well, I don't really know.  Something very different.  But interesting.

I found out about them when I watched a video on youtube of the reactor "The Charismatic Voice" reacting to one of their songs.  It interested me so I put them on my list to try and i finally worked them in.

They have done a song with somebody who used to be in Alice in Chains and another song with Lizzy Hale of Halestorm.  Not that either of those facts is a recommendation in my book - other than The Rooster I did not care for Alice in Chains and I don't care for Halestrom.  But for them to have toured in the US and England and worked with the above clearly they have gotten some traction.  They are also going to play at Hellfast this year.  For them to get on a big festival like that they must be getting some interest.

Best song on the album?  Hard to say.  Its a toss up between "Bil Biyelgee", "Upright Destined Mongol", "Black Thunder" (part 2 - which comes several songs before part 1, no idea why), "Segee", "Tartar Warrior" or "Shihi Hutu".

They are actually pretty good - going to explore more of them.

Which brings me to the next thing I tried

The Hu - Nothing Else Matters

This was a single they released of them covering the Metallica song.  So if you want to listen to Metallica sung in Mongolian here is your chance.  Its... interesting.  Actually, I found it enjoyable.   

They get played a lot on a local rock radio station. I keep meaning to check them out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Another band in the same vein is UUHAI. Check out their official video for "Ser Ser." (I can't manage to post YouTube links correctly.)