Best '80s Rush Album?

Flavia2112

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is Rush's best album from the '80s?

• Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto

No, I didn't vote for Moving Pictures. I didn't even vote for Permanent Waves or Signals. I voted for the thought-provoking, political, eargasm-inducing Power Windows. It's not just my favorite album from the '80s, it's my favorite Rush album altogether.
  • Like 2

For an old fogey like me it's a case of the earlier the better!

A toss up between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures...... depends what way the wind is blowing!!!

Today I vote Moving Pictures ..... just!

I voted for Moving Pictures, but on another day Grace or Power could win.

Red Lenses and the Wheels intro keep letting Grace down.

Power always had a shot.

Waves had the best song out of all of these, though.

Permanent Waves is the best album on the list, but unfortunately it's a 70s album so Moving Pictures it is.

You`re so predictable :lol:

But so right...

• Like 2

Moving Pictures, easily.

Also, when saying the best of albums from a certain decade, I think you should say "favorite album RELEASED in the 80s." Otherwise, people are gonna use the "Permanent Waves is a 70s album" thing

• Like 2

Moving Pictures is the most straight ahead rocker of the eighties. I remember hearing this rockin' tune every time this black "Smoky and the Bandit" Trans Am drove down my street. When I found out who it was it was over. Game, set, match...

This run of albums is still my favorite up until HYF which to a little convincing to enjoy...

• Like 1

Permanent Waves is the best album on the list, but unfortunately it's a 70s album so Moving Pictures it is.

*highfive* :D
  • Like 2

*highfive* :D

:goodone:

• Like 1

But so right...

I suspected you`d be first to challenge the thread. It is reasonable to doubt that Rush were able to record and release PW in a fortnight, and I agree: it should be an indisputable article of TRF constitution.
  • Like 3

That's exactly my thought process!!

But here's the catch, the thread title asks what the best 80's Rush album is, which is Moving Pictures in my book, but the poll asks what they best Rush album from the 80s was, which is a technically different question since Permanent Waves the record album did first appear on record store shelves in 1980...so I will say this:

The best 80s Rush album is Moving Pictures, although I love Signals and Power Windows and I've really come around to loving Grace Under Pressure not to mention Hold Your First and Presto are also pretty fab a lot of the time.... but I'm voting for Permanent Waves.

• Like 1

Voted for PWaves despite the debate about it's inclusion or not.

But love all of the 1st 6 with Presto being slightly weaker to my mind.

Love superconductor and red tide to name a couple though.

Could say I love the 1st 6 almost equally I don't hold MP up as their very best because I'm probably standing alone as not finding side 1 as their absolute peak. Probably because I had to grow to like Limelight!!! Sacrilege, I know. Plus The Camera Eye is my fave from that album.

But it's not just a longer-track thing - I love shorter tracks on Signals through to Grace Under Pressure.

To me, each album has it's own personality as opposed to some bands which produce albums that are very samey (e.g. Oasis for 1 example).

Power Windows to me is their peak of synthesizer use.

Grace Under Pressure is their 'distopian' album if there is such a thing. Love tracks like Afterimage, Kid Gloves to name a couple

HYF is to me their peak of the pop-rock type thing.

And Signals has 5 of my favourite songs (Analog Kid, Subdivisions, Losing it, Countdown and New World Man) with the other 3 being ok but a bit lacklustre (to me).

But Permenant Waves pips it probably because it's one of the 1st albums I bought, AND, I just love every track. And I love Different Strings which is not talked about enough in my opinion my fave balled by them. And Natural Science vies with 2112, for me, as their 2nd best long track behind Camera eye.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist

I find it pretty wild that I picked the second most chosen selection in this poll.

Power Windows I presume (depending on the votes at the time you posted).

I bought the LP picture disk when it 1st came out so I have fondness for it if for no other reason than that! Personally love the deeper cuts of Middletown dreams and Grand Designs.

• Like 1

Yada yada yada, picked Moving Pictures based on a technicality. What a unique opinion, I know. Though, I was raised by a pro-Grace Under Pressure father who would definitely argue for its supremacy.

Clearly, your father is a musically wise man.

I find it pretty wild that I picked the second most chosen selection in this poll.

Power Windows I presume (depending on the votes at the time you posted).

I bought the LP picture disk when it 1st came out so I have fondness for it if for no other reason than that! Personally love the deeper cuts of Middletown dreams and Grand Designs.

Correct.

Yada yada yada, picked Moving Pictures based on a technicality. What a unique opinion, I know. Though, I was raised by a pro-Grace Under Pressure father who would definitely argue for its supremacy.

Clearly, your father is a musically wise man.

I realize you love that album. While it may not be my top 80s Rush album, it does have Distant Early Warning (top 5 song by Rush for me).

• Like 1

But so right...

Yes, absolutely right.

• Like 1