Which of these bands was the most burned out, out of gas, momentum stopped, almost finished by 1978-1979?

treeduck

Burned Out  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bands was the most burned out, out of gas, momentum stopped, almost finished by 1978-1979?

• The Who
    • Black Sabbath
    • Yes
    • Rainbow
    • Sex Pistols
    • KISS
    • Thin Lizzy
    • ELO
    • ELP
    • Led Zeppelin
    • UFO
    • Genesis
    • Aerosmith
    • Queen
    • Kansas
  2. 2. Which of these "burn-outs" recovered most successfully with a surge in the 80's?

• The Who
    • Black Sabbath
    • Yes
    • Rainbow
    • KISS
    • Thin Lizzy
    • ELO
    • UFO
    • King Crimson
    • Deep Purple
    • Blue Oyster Cult
    • Genesis
    • Queen
    • Kansas
    • Aerosmith
  3. 3. And finally, which of these burnout bands crashed again in the 80's most spectacularly?

• Black Sabbath
    • Yes
    • KISS
    • Deep Purple
    • UFO
    • Genesis
    • Journey
    • Blue Oyster Cult
    • ELO
    • The Police
    • Pink Floyd
    • Rush
    • Queen
    • Kansas
    • Aerosmith

Bachman-Turner Overdrive fizzled out in the late 70's after Randy Bachman left the band in 1977.

Randy was replaced by bassist Jim Clench as original BTO bassist Fred Turner moved to guitar.

The band recorded two more albums, but they were critical and commercial failures.

Edited by RushFanForever

ELP wins the award for crash and burn. Oh we're contracted for one more album...here ya go with 'Love Beach'. Now pay us...and f**k you we're done.

I bet you enjoy Love Beach secretly, it's just you fear losing your prog card if you admit it!

Question one it's pretty much gotta be the Sex Pistols. If ever there was an embodiment of the burning out is better than fading away manta, it was them. One game changing album that went down in infamy, followed by little to nothing at all before they broke up and never reunited. They never made it to the 80s.

Question two is a tough question between Aerosmith and Genesis, but I think Genesis actually didn't have a big burn out or anything around the end of the 70s to justify the idea that they somehow "came back." At worst there was like, one average album right after Hackett left and then Phil took more control and the band sounded invigorated again on Duke. It was certainly a huge surge in commercial success, but they'd never really chased that kind of success before so I really just think they don't quite fit the storyline of a band that faded then resurged. On the other hand, despite the quality of the Aerosmith albums between 1977 and 1987 usually being considered a lot higher than the history books will tell you (at least around here), the band itself was in shambles around that time. In and out of rehab, key members in and out of the band, and Aerosmith mostly out of the singles charts that they had finally breached just a few years before. The band were seemingly in a death spiral, and if they hadn't gotten themselves cleaned up enough and had that extraordinary lucky break with Run DMC wanting to do a version of Walk This Way with them... they never would've survived the 80s. But as it stands, they did, and they achieved more commercial success than they may have ever dreamed. In fact, they made some of their finest albums in the process! Pump is perhaps my favorite record of theirs period. So Aerosmith gets my vote here. Possibly the most unlikely comeback in rock and roll history.

The third question seems to imply and Aerosmith like story of burning out at the end of the 70s, then resorting sometime in the 80s, but instead of carrying on through the 90s like Aerosmith, the band in question must have called flat on their face after the resurgence within the decade. As far as I can tell there's only one band who's timeline more or less lines up with that description, despite the fact I've never heard any of their "bad" albums: Black Sabbath. I've been told time and time again the last two Ozzy albums of the 70s were just not up to snuff with the 6 prior, and Ozzy's departure theoretically should've spelled doom for these doomy guys. Instead they picked up one Ronnie James Dio, who instantly revitalized Sabbath and brought them gracefully and impact fully into the 80s. Then he left...and I'm told things just got worse and worse until the record label squeezed an album out of Iommi under the Black Sabbath moniker even though he meant it as a solo album. All I can tell is they stopped shifting as many units and their album covers got really embarrassing until Dehumanizer, which is killer. They get my vote.

• Like 2

ELP wins the award for crash and burn. Oh we're contracted for one more album...here ya go with 'Love Beach'. Now pay us...and f**k you we're done.

I bet you enjoy Love Beach secretly, it's just you fear losing your prog card if you admit it!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1876

two out of five stars average rating. I'd call that extremely generous.

http://www.progarchi...bum.asp?id=1876

two out of five stars average rating. I'd call that extremely generous.

I know they don't like it, I'm talking about YOU! :16ton:

1. Sex Pistols. They burnt brightly for a short while and fizzled out like a damp squib.

2. Aerosmith. They should have been dead and buried but their comeback was Lazarus-like.

3. Pink Floyd. After The Wall in 1979 the bricks began to tumble from their mighty career.

• Like 2

Sex Pistols. One hitter quitter. No such thing as longevity with them.

Aerosmith. Oddly I like Rock In A Hard Place and Done With Mirrors. Then they went into Intercommercial Overdrive from Permanent Vacation forward. Then I lost interest. Whatever.

Kiss. I don't remember anything after Tears Are Falling. Do you?