RIP Hank Aaron 1934-2021

Maverick

So great for so long. I remember being surprised to learn he'd never had a 50-home run season -- he was just awesome all the time. And he handled his accomplishment and his legacy so well.

Touch 'em all, Hank.

RIP

• Like 1

RIP to the REAL home run king. :(

100% true and 100% agree.

Last year we lost 7 HOFers which was the most ever in a calendar year. We've already lost 2 this year and January is only 3/4 of the way over. Not a good omen. I get that everyone's getting older but it's tough watching my boyhood sports heroes pass on.

Sadly I have a strong feeling Willie Mays won't be far behind.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He will be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Hank.

100% true and 100% agree.

Last year we lost 7 HOFers which was the most ever in a calendar year. We've already lost 2 this year and January is only 3/4 of the way over. Not a good omen. I get that everyone's getting older but it's tough watching my boyhood sports heroes pass on.

Sadly I have a strong feeling Willie Mays won't be far behind.

That's the first thing I thought of-- Willie, who I believe is three years older than Hank.

When I was in elementary school, every so often we could order books from some company that advertised with the school. I remember getting a book that had biographies on Ruth and Aaron when I was in maybe 3rd of 4th grade. Aaron endured pretty horrific racial incidents as he approached Ruth's record. Class, courage, and ability. RIP to the greatest slugger of all time.

What do you mean "real?" Is there some question that his 755 aren't the most ever by a hitter? :)

;)

It's comforting to know that all 755 of Hank's dingers were irrefutable and...un-enhanced. Same goes for Babe Ruth's 714, though his were enhanced by hot dogs and beer.

• Like 1

I still remember being in 8th grade, in Northern Kentucky, watching the Reds' 1974 Opening Day game against the Braves in the classroom.

What a treat! Opening Day was sacred to Reds fans back then, as Cincinnati always hosted the first game of the MLB Season. Even better, we got to watch Hank Aaron tie Babe Ruth's home run record with a mighty blast off of Jack Billingham. That was the most fun I ever had in that school.... :laughing guy:

And yet, when asked if he would have done it all over again, to chase and eventually beat Ruth's record, and to endure everything that came with it, Aaron answered, "I don't know." A very honest and poignant answer.

• Like 1

I still remember being a kid and getting my 1st Hank Aaron baseball card, which was actually his last year. Topps 1976 with the Brewers. I would just stare at the back to read all the stats. That's what we had to do in the seventies.
  • Like 4

I still remember being a kid and getting my 1st Hank Aaron baseball card, which was actually his last year. Topps 1976 with the Brewers. I would just stare at the back to read all the stats. That's what we had to do in the seventies.

Stats were everything. Batting Average, Home Runs, and Runs Batted In = the Holy Trinity. :notworthy:

• Like 2

What do you mean "real?" Is there some question that his 755 aren't the most ever by a hitter? :)

;)

It's comforting to know that all 755 of Hank's dingers were irrefutable and...un-enhanced. Same goes for Babe Ruth's 714, though his were enhanced by hot dogs and beer.

Well yeah, hot dogs and beer but also never having to face Satchell Paige.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

This one hurts! One of my top 5 favourite sports figures of all time. I remember when he broke the record. I had a big poster of him hitting it on my wall as a kid. Here we go again losing HOFers
  • Like 1

Someone needs to wrap Bob Uecker in bubble wrap.

The Brewers need to win the World Series so Uecker can leave this Earth with a full smile on his face!

• Like 1