Does radio overplay make certain (classic rock) songs less enjoyable to you?

Texas King

Does radio overplay make certain classic rock songs less enjoyable to you?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Does radio overplay make certain (classic rock) songs less enjoyable to you?

No..

And I can't listen to rock stations anymore cuz FM near my place took away all of the rock stations and replaced them with modern pop and rap and a lil bit of new country...

Yes.

In fact there are numerous classic rock bands that I just don't care for because all their songs ever were to me was just stuff that was played on the radio. I would hear certain songs so much that I became numb to them and couldn't care less about why the song became popular in the first place.

• Like 1

Any overplay breeds contempt. I don`t listen to the radio at all but on the occasions I`ve had the same CD in the car for too long, I just want to throw it out of the window.

Not sure if this is an urban legend, but I heard of one radio station that, as a marathon, played every known recorded version of "Louie Louie. At the time it was some 500+. Current estimate is 1600-2000 published versions, and a total discography of 4000 versions.
  • Like 3

Funny you should start this thread...

...I seldom listen to the radio but happened to today.

Nice warm and sunny day here in New Jersey.

“Stairway to Heaven” came on and turned it up, rolled down the windows and sang along at the top of my lungs.

Enjoyed every second of it.

• Like 5

Any overplay breeds contempt. I don`t listen to the radio at all but on the occasions I`ve had the same CD in the car for too long, I just want to throw it out of the window.

Absolutely. Even my favorite Rush song would get old after hearing it too frequently.

:goodone: So much this. Overplayiing could always ruin most songs, no matter how it happened. As kids we used to get 45 records and play them to death; we would be so tired of them. I had a friend say, "I have a favorite 45; I don't play it much because I don't want to get tired of it." Interesting thought.

I was always a big radio person, since I was like 8 years old. Part of it is that I had a radio show in college and still think of someone stuck in the little station built at the highest point in town like our station was, even though it doesn't work that way anymore. Before it changed in the Reagan era, there was no I heart radio or Cumulus media and things were more interesting.

I still am a listener but you are right, there is little thought behind most programming on commercial stations these days so the play lists are very uninspired. We have Siriusxm which lends some variety and I am a big fan of WXPN, the U Penn college station in Philadelphia. They don't have standard playlists and try to have a lot of new music as well. WFMU is also interesting; it started out as another college radio station and now is actually 3 different free form stations; people get on and play whatever the hell they want. Some of it stinks but it's never boring! Both are on the internet.

• Like 3

Also, radio stations are so predictable.

Q104.3 in NYC: They play the same bands every day between the hours of 3-5pm. Also, they play the same group of top songs from those bands.

Stones - Start Me Up

Rush - Tom Sawyer

etc... ugh

Not really. I can turn the dial or turn it off. I never sit there and torture myself with “Oh my god! Again?! I’m going to sit here for the entire 4 minutes to hear it played again! Next time, I’ll sit here again and listen to it again!”

In some of our youths or workplaces we had not the option. Stairway to Heaven was always on, and it was on again in five minutes.

• Like 3

Not really. I can turn the dial or turn it off. I never sit there and torture myself with “Oh my god! Again?! I’m going to sit here for the entire 4 minutes to hear it played again! Next time, I’ll sit here again and listen to it again!”

In some of our youths or workplaces we had not the option. Stairway to Heaven was always on, and it was on again in five minutes.

I was about to say something similar. Growing up in the 80s, my parents had the classic rock station on all the time at home and pretty often in the car. Not really your place as a kid to tell your parents to turn that shit off. Today we have so many different ways to get our music. Decades ago that wasn't the case and we just took whatever radio gave us. When it was my choice, yes, I would change the channel if it was a song I was tired of. But there were many times when it wasn't up to me and I had to listen to whatever the person in charge of the radio wanted to play.

• Like 1

I was about to say something similar. Growing up in the 80s, my parents had the classic rock station on all the time at home and pretty often in the car. Not really your place as a kid to tell your parents to turn that shit off. Today we have so many different ways to get our music. Decades ago that wasn't the case and we just took whatever radio gave us. When it was my choice, yes, I would change the channel if it was a song I was tired of. But there were many times when it wasn't up to me and I had to listen to whatever the person in charge of the radio wanted to play.

All I can say is that we’re all about the same age (I’m 48) and I never was annoyed too much, and definitely not by music I loved.

Beat It and Billie Jean are two which were overplayed. However, even if I couldn’t turn the dial or turn it off, it was almost as easy to mentally tune out. I did it all the time in class or while being lectured by parents so the radio was even easier

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Aww, that reminds me of working when we lived in Cleveland in the late 80's. I worked in the front of a printing company, doing billing. The printers always had on WMMS in the back (LOUD, over the machinery) and at lunch break they were always calling in for the trivia prizes and questions. Rush was a favorite, of course! They were really nice guys and working there was one of the better parts of being in Cleveland.

• Like 3

A lot of classic rock classic have worn out their welcome with me because of radio play. Most of the Stones' hits fall into that category. It's a bummer, because they are such great songs.
  • Like 4