• They both suck, Nirvana FTW
  2. 2. Better Album?

• Dirt - Alice In Chains
    • Ten - Pearl Jam
    • No no no! Nevermind by Nirvana! >:(
  3. 3. Better Song?

• Jeremy - Pearl Jam
    • Man In The Box - Alice In Chains
    • Where tf is Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana?

I haven't ever liked, and been a fan of both bands, and groups. Since Nirvana are a part of this, too, I'm classifying them in it, too. I still haven't liked grunge music, too. Edited by Derek19

Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains don't sound anything alike. The grunge label is unnecessary.

Absolutely.

Nirvana - Punk-ish

Pearl Jam - Classic Rock-ish

Alice In Chains - Black Metal-ish

metal sure, but black metal?

All of those micromanagement labels are useless. They're all rock bands. And I don't even care about a rock label in the first place.

Look at Rush for the best example of the problem with labeling bands.

I mean, they're not entirely useless. If someone who was into the Eagles and Journey asked me for more rock recommendations I would do a lot better to point them to Cheap Trick than Burzum, even though both are definitely rock.

TRF has historically disagreed about which genre bands fit in. What's the worst that could happen? Someone listens to music they wouldn't have listened to because a pal miscategorized a band?

• Like 1

Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains don't sound anything alike. The grunge label is unnecessary.

Absolutely.

Nirvana - Punk-ish

Pearl Jam - Classic Rock-ish

Alice In Chains - Black Metal-ish

metal sure, but black metal?

All of those micromanagement labels are useless. They're all rock bands. And I don't even care about a rock label in the first place.

Look at Rush for the best example of the problem with labeling bands.

I mean, they're not entirely useless. If someone who was into the Eagles and Journey asked me for more rock recommendations I would do a lot better to point them to Cheap Trick than Burzum, even though both are definitely rock.

TRF has historically disagreed about which genre bands fit in. What's the worst that could happen? Someone listens to music they wouldn't have listened to because a pal miscategorized a band?

I agree with you that arguing over what genre a band fits in is pretty tiresome and redundant at the end of the day, especially with a band like Rush who cover a wide spectrum of different sub-genre categories in their discography. However, I think it goes too far to say that genres and even sub-genres are completely pointless. The worst that could happen isn't someone listening to music they never would have heard otherwise and disliking it, but not listening to music that they would've loved because the genre labels were too over-generalized for them to find that music.

• Like 1

I agree with a prior post - I consider all these bands 'rock' by today's standards, but thinking back to when this was on the radio in the early 1990s it was most definitely different from most of the other Top 40 schlock of the time.

Nirvana is lonely (#32) on this chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1992

Alice In Chains is very doomy and obviously inspired by Sabbath. Even some of Layne's vocals are reminiscent of how Ozzy sounded on the early Sabbath albums.

Also very true. AiC basically took Sabbath's sound, modernized it, added more vocals and harmonies, and doubled down on the most evil aspects of it.

• Like 1

I agree with a prior post - I consider all these bands 'rock' by today's standards, but thinking back to when this was on the radio in the early 1990s it was most definitely different from most of the other Top 40 schlock of the time.

Nirvana is lonely (#32) on this chart:

https://en.wikipedia...singles_of_1992

What a crap list! No wonder I was always listening to my CDs back then...er, i mean tapes. :blaze:

• Like 2

I haven't ever liked, and been a fan of both bands, and groups. I still haven't liked grunge music, too.

Well, at least, or, at worst, by posting that, you've increased, or expanded upon, your post count, or number of posts.

I feel, this post, will be, one of, my favourite, posts, e,v,e,r.

• Like 1

I haven't ever liked, and been a fan of both bands, and groups. I still haven't liked grunge music, too.

Well, at least, or, at worst, by posting that, you've increased, or expanded upon, your post count, or number of posts.

His member title should be "Comma Chameleon"

http://youtu.be/FaLyasJPyUU

You are not the first to suggest that title. :D

• Like 1

His member title should be "Comma Chameleon"

http://youtu.be/FaLyasJPyUU

You are not the first to suggest that title. :D

Nice!

Comma, comma, comma, comma, comma chameleon

Your commas go, your commas go

Loving would be easy if your commas were like my dreams

• Like 2

Anyway, Pearl Jam all the way for me here. Ten is one of my favourite albums of the nineties, and of all time.

"TEN" is a TEN! I saw that tour at The Warfield in San Francisco. Rage Against The Machine opened. They were no names at the time. After they played Zach jumped into the crowd and handed some of us a demo cassette.

Pearl Jam kicked ass man. Michael, since you love the first Pearl Jam record I highly recommend that you get some Mother Love Bone!! "Apple" is a classic too!!!

Signed,

"Stardog Champion"

• Like 2

I saw Alice In Chains open for OZZY at the Oakland Arena. Layne had a broken leg and sang the setlist while in a wheelchair. They kicked ass that night!!!

I was lucky enough to see all of these "grunge" bands. Soundgarden takes the cake for me, but I am glad I saw Nirvana once.

It was a NYE show at the Cow Palace.

Here is the line up:

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

NIRVANA

PEARL JAM

L7

Amazing show.

• Like 3