Artists who don't have enough hits for a greatest hits album, but have a greatest hits album anyway

Have you ever noticed the existence of a greatest hits album or a best of collection for an artist who doesn't actually enough hits to fill out that kind of album? Here's the place to post about it!
  • Like 1

Dream Theater has one called Greatest Hit and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs.

Type O Negative has one called The Least Worst Of.

I was gonna mention the DT one, lol. But at least they were self aware enough to name it what they did. The other one you mentioned is funny!

How about all of those "20th Century Masters" collections for pretty much every band that ever had a minor hit for a week or two?

I've always had an issue with the greatest hits / best of albums.

If I like a song/band enough, I'll purchase the album from which the song was released.

Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd album.

Hearing "The Great Gig in the Sky / Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun / Money" together is just wrong.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I've always had an issue with the greatest hits / best of albums.

If I like a song/band enough, I'll purchase the album from which the song was released.

Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd album.

Hearing "The Great Gig in the Sky / Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun / Money" together is just wrong.

But the echoing of "died" from "Us and Them"/fade in to "Learning to Fly" is genius!

RHCP What hits? album, which was true at the time since they just broke out with BSSM. It was a compilation between their record companies and a money grab.

I don't mind greatest hits albums if I'm just want a sampling of material without investing the whole catalog. But for die hard fans that got the whole catalog, it's pretty much a money grab.

• Like 2

Anthrax has a B-sides album. Called 'Best of the B-Sides'.

As awesome as Anthrax is, they've never really had a 'hit'.

• Like 1

Remind me, the dt hit was take the time?

Pull Me Under.

Pull Me Under.

thanks bro!

I was a huge DT fan early on. read awhile ago petrucci is doing a second solo record.

• Like 2

The Cars had enough songs for their greatest hits album, but I'm still disappointed that they didn't call it "Used Cars" like they said they would.
  • Like 2

Probably too many. I'm not really sure. I was looking for a greatest hits album or compilation album by the band Cake since most of their albums aren't supposed to be very good. Interestingly I do have a compilation album(cd)by Everclear. Go figure. Yes, I like 90's bands.
  • Like 1

Actually one that comes to mind for me is "what hits?" by the Red Hot Chilipeppers. Only a few were actually hits if I remember right. They didn't really have many hits so I suppose their title was rather appropriate. Also, Frank Zappa had one called "Strictly commercial" but he didn't have many hits either(only "dancing fool" and "Valley Girl" charted as far as I know).
  • Like 1

The Cars had enough songs for their greatest hits album, but I'm still disappointed that they didn't call it "Used Cars" like they said they would.

right?

Pull Me Under.

Yes, that is considered their hit. But I do remember Take The Time getting some good radio play and video rotation on headbangers ball too. The radio also played Another Day a little bit. They got Images and Words out just in time before grunge engulfed the whole music world. When Awake came out nobody heard anything from it until they bought the album.

• Like 2

The Sweet.

Missing Persons.

gotta disagree with sweet. they got more than enough hits.

Hows about public enemys - greatest misses..........

I know two Sweet songs off the top of my head. Ballroom Blitz and Action. Maybe I would know more if I heard them but I'm drawing a blank on anything else.

Pull Me Under.

Yes, that is considered their hit. But I do remember Take The Time getting some good radio play and video rotation on headbangers ball too. The radio also played Another Day a little bit. They got Images and Words out just in time before grunge engulfed the whole music world. When Awake came out nobody heard anything from it until they bought the album.

That's interesting, I've always thought Take The Time sounded like it could've been on that radio!

The Sweet.

Missing Persons.

gotta disagree with sweet. they got more than enough hits.

Hows about public enemys - greatest misses..........

I know two Sweet songs off the top of my head. Ballroom Blitz and Action. Maybe I would know more if I heard them but I'm drawing a blank on anything else.

fox on the run

love is like oxygen

wig wam bam

little willie

i only recently learned about action. they had some hits in england and europe iirc before ballroon blitz and fox on the run.

i am not an expert but have been digging a little deeper as of late. love them.

• Like 2