Should we encourage Rush to do an instrumental album?

SecondNature

The days of touring seem to be over. The physical demands on Neil, the tendon issues that Alex has his hands and the strain on Geddy's voice - not to mention the grind of a long tour.

I have always thought it would be nice for them to go into the studio and create an awesome instrumental album - or maybe instrumental with a limited amount of lyrics. This would allow them to create something awesome that was NOT required to be played live - thus opening the door to something more advanced and complicated.

I think the guys should consider this. It could be done at their own pace and give them an opportunity to play together without the demands of a tour.

Given the vocals and difficulties therein, it would be about all I would be interested in at this point. I would bet they could come up with something jazzy and killer...
  • Like 2

Please, no. I dislike instrumentals. This would be as appealing as Feedback is for me. I would prefer another Geddy Lee solo album. I would love that. I still listen to My Favourite Headache all the time from beginning to end. There isn't one song on the album that isn't excellent. Give me that over a boring instrumental album any day. Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I want Moist, not some instrumental showoff.

If they're going to conclude their career with one more studio album, it has to be as good as or better than CA, and i don't think an instrumental record is going to cut it. Not when the only Rush instrumentals that always hold my unwavering attention are YYZ and La Villa. Mal nar is great, TMMB can be very cool, Limbo is pretty fun, but come on. I don't want an album full of those when they can still write and perform fantastic SONGS like CA, HF, the Anarchist and so on.'

Moist.

• Like 1

What would appeal to me is not necessarily an instrumental album, but a departure in that the songs would be carried by the instrumental passages ala Jacob's Ladder ..

There have been times when Rush began to tap into something very cool as far as cinematic sound - like the I have memory and awareness section of Book II, or the eerie vibe in Tears ..

I'd have no interest in a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ... do something unexpected

Tangerine Dream meets the intro to Xanadu ..

• Like 3

Yes, there should be an all instrumental album, but not under the name Rush. Alex and Geddy should jam with several different drummers versed in all styles (to give it some variety) and just let Neil stay home. He's not interested in drumming for Rush anymore and no amount of wishing on our part is ever gonna change that.
  • Like 1

I'd have no interest in a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ... do something unexpected

Who said anything about My Favourite Headache Part II? I want a Geddy Lee solo album. I welcome Geddy's creativeness and ability to evolve as a songwriter and a musician. He can even work with someone other than Ben Mink. I want another Geddy Lee solo album, not a rehash of his first solo album. By your logic every RUSH album is essentially a clone of the previous album and we all know that is not true. A new Geddy Lee solo album would be unexpected. I hear no expectations for it.

They ended their career with their best studio album in 30 years, and then a really fun retrospective tour. It's OK to let them go.

I, for one, was wildly disappointed by Clockwork Angels and consider it to be their WORST album in over 30 years. It left a bitter taste in my mouth after what I felt was a much more interesting album. Snakes & Arrows would have been a better send off.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I would love to see an instrumental or mostly instrumental album. They do it so well and they could rock out without the distraction of Geddy having to sing.
  • Like 1

They ended their career with their best studio album in 30 years, and then a really fun retrospective tour. It's OK to let them go.

I think an instrumental single or two would be cool, but that's it.
  • Like 1

What would appeal to me is not necessarily an instrumental album, but a departure in that the songs would be carried by the instrumental passages ala Jacob's Ladder ..

There have been times when Rush began to tap into something very cool as far as cinematic sound - like the I have memory and awareness section of Book II, or the eerie vibe in Tears ..

Tangerine Dream meets the intro to Xanadu ..

Totally agree. Rush were on to something special when they were creating the big open cinematic movements, like Jacobs ladder, Xanadu etc. Its great the guys went for the more concise shorter songs, later, but the time period, when they produced the grandiose pieces, captured something very representative, of what Rush are known for, their trademark, if you like.

These earlier pieces are ethereal, other worldly at times, taking the listener else where. I appreciate the lyrics more, with the later output.

• Like 4

Made up my own Rush instrumental cd awhile back chronologically.While some people may find instrumentals boring for me being a musician its different because i listen to what the instruments are saying and when you can get a plague of Brazilians going nuts and chanting to YYZ thats saying something.Being brought up on my fathers mainly instrumental jazz and studying classical at school i understand that instrumental music can be hard work for non musicians because it bored me shirtless listening to all this jazz/classical drivel(but i love it now).However i would love a stripped back instrumental album and don't let that Nick R near the producers chair because he ruined those last few albums.But why are we asking for an instrumental album.Is it because Ged's voice is shot?Well,er,yes,sorry.Neils lyrics?Didn't go much on some of his stuff in later years.No ,because they are awesome musicians and they should have a bash.enuff said.
  • Like 2

Question:Is there a studio rendition of Broons Bane out there?I'm sure Alex has a demo filed away.

An instrumental album wouldn't get Neil out of retirement any more than a regular album would. In fact, taking away the chance to write lyrics might be more of a reason for him to stay home.

He's happy writing books at home sitting with his uncle by the fireside while a gleaming alloy air car flies by.
  • Like 2

Wasn't an all instrumental album (collection of + new material) an idea Geddy floated before Neil sold them on the Clockwork Angels concept?

Interesting, but I'd prefer a CA follow-up album, lyrics and all...beggars can't be choosers though.

• Like 2

I think they could do a great Swiss yodeling album. Dress Alex up as Heidi with the pigtails with Geddy as the dad.

If they make a "regular" studio album, lyrics and all, then IMO there will be plenty of pressure for them to tour. Neil would not go for that (except possibly for a one off charity show). An instrumental album would give them the freedom to do what they always did best - deep dives into material like Hemispheres, Xanadu, Jacobs ladder, natural science, 2112, By-Tor and the like. I'm not opposed to lyrics and I would love another album by Geddy. I just think an instrumental might be workable at this point.

Those who don't like instrumentals are not under any obligation to listen to it :)

• Like 2

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_1_Preview_2-600x923.png

Or if that doesn't make sense...

I was watching an interview with Clint Eastwood last night and he was talking about his Dirty Harry days. Even years after the last one was made, The Dead Pool, people were coming up to him and suggesting he should make another Dirty Harry flick. He said he never really saw a Dirty Harry script that interested him ((after The Dead Pool)) and sometimes "It's best to just leave a good thing alone".

• Like 3

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_1_Preview_2-600x923.png

Or if that doesn't make sense...

I was watching an interview with Clint Eastwood last night and he was talking about his Dirty Harry days. Even years after the last one was made, The Dead Pool, people were coming up to him and suggesting he should make another Dirty Harry flick. He said he never really saw a Dirty Harry script that interested him ((after The Dead Pool)) and sometimes "It's best to just leave a good thing alone".

First!

:dweez:

• Like 4