Bands that added studio or live orchestras

stoopid

I know of Metalica, Dream Theater, Aerosmith, i think Led Zeppelin... how many bands have done the "night with" the orchestra thing? [studio albums would count as well]

Elton John, live in Australia (1987). It resulted in a version of the previously relatively unknown Candle In The Wind becoming a big hit. Edited by goose

I loved Yes' Magnification & the Symphonic tour.

Opeth's Live Concert At The Albert Hall is fantastic, as is Deep Purple's Concerto For Group & Orchestra. Opeth copied DP's album cover as a tribute.

Procol Harum's Live In Concert With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra also works well.

Some of Emerson Lake & Palmer In Concert & Works Live has an orchestra performing.

• Like 3

I loved Yes' Magnification & the Symphonic tour.

Opeth's Live Concert At The Albert Hall is fantastic, as is Deep Purple's Concerto For Group & Orchestra. Opeth copied DP's album cover as a tribute.

Procol Harum's Live In Concert With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra also works well.

Was just about to mention Procol Harum. Apparently Bj Wilson was drunk as a skunk on this performance, or hungover.

Within Temptation use orchestras on their albums but they released two outstanding live DVD's performed live with an orchestra.

I love them so much!

Not a fan.

Over the years, I think the only show I saw with an orchestra was Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth at MSG but that album was record with an orchestra.

• Like 1

Not a fan.

Over the years, I think the only show I saw with an orchestra was Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth at MSG but that album was record with an orchestra.

I'm on the fence, which may be an underlying contributor to why I thought to post this thread. Looking to find some quality examples of rock + orchestra, 'done right'. There's a few good examples in here of 'right' and 'wrong'. lol

Not a fan.

I'm on the fence, which may be an underlying contributor to why I thought to post this thread. Looking to find some quality examples of rock + orchestra, 'done right'. There's a few good examples in here of 'right' and 'wrong'. lol

I hear ya

In general i think orchestras and rock bands suck. Not a fan of any of them other than the vai disc i listed above.

Usually a orchestra signals a group that has run out of ideas or other gimmicks.

Eric Clapton's live album 21 Nights (I think it was 21)...with the London Symphony, I believe?

I thought some of it was really good, and some of it was completely overwrought.

overwrought

Good word choice. A problem with using an orchestra to perform rock music is that rock melodies are relatively simple. Typically, an orchestra just serves to magnify that simplicity, and not in a good way.
  • Like 3

overwrought

Good word choice. A problem with using an orchestra to perform rock music is that rock melodies are relatively simple. Typically, an orchestra just serves to magnify that simplicity, and not in a good way.

Agreed...I also think it depends on how many musicians there are in the orchestra. When it is just a few, in a rock setting, it can add a lot to it. When there are 15, 20, 50, 100 people embellishing what's already there, it becomes...overwrought!

• Like 2

Really not a fan of orchestrated/orchestral rock. Too much sonic soup.

That being said, some stand-outs:

Love "Forever Changes" has some nice arrangements for small orchestra (more like a chamber group) that really add to the songs. pretty tasty.

Tony Visconti beefed up some T Rex riffs with cello, which is kinda cool (ie: 'Chariot Choogle')

Um...'A Day in the Life'?

er...uh...'Tusk'?

jeez...

Talk Talk has some cool arrangements on "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock". Mark Hollis's first (only?) solo cd has a woodwind ensemble and is very interesting. Bassoon rock!

Talk_Talk_in_1988.jpg

Deep Purple played with orchestra first in 1969 in the famous Concerto at Royal Albert Hall with the whole parts composed by Jon Lord.

They did a whole tour then 30 years later playing with orchestra both the original concerto and many hits.

In 2011 they did another tour with orchestra again playing just their rock tracks.

There are four DVDs available: Royal Albert Hall 1969 and 1999, Montreux and Verona 2011

• Like 1

Deep Purple played with orchestra first in 1969 in the famous Concerto at Royal Albert Hall with the whole parts composed by Jon Lord.

They did a whole tour then 30 years later playing with orchestra both the original concerto and many hits.

In 2011 they did another tour with orchestra again playing just their rock tracks.

There are four DVDs available: Royal Albert Hall 1969 and 1999, Montreux and Verona 2011

I need to check that out. Not a fan of DP, but have tremendous respect and think they're the kind of band (mostly rock based and super talented like Rush) that could pull this off.