Your first song by Rush?

Texas King

First heard? Probably something off Moving Pictures or "The Big Money". I wasn't a fan at that time...I was into 80's glam/hair metal.

"Show Don't Tell" got me into Rush.

The first ALBUM I heard was Moving Pictures (probably Tom Sawyer was the first song). But I did not become a fan until I saw the song Stick It Out live on Time Machine Tour.

It was the video Tom Sawyer on MTV in the early 80s. I liked it but was more into the cheezy hair metal bands at the time...which I regret now. It was in 1990 when Chronicles came out when I bought the 2 tape set because I was curious about them and wanted to hear something different. It blew me away and they have been my favorite band ever since.

Something off of Caress Of Steel circa 1976. I heard it in a high school friends car on 8 track... :codger:
  • Like 3

I have no idea. I began listening to the radio earnestly and attentively early on, so probably Working Man, Fly By Night, or Closer to the Heart.

I didn't know who Rush was (that they wrote all of these songs and more) until much later.

It wouldn't have been until Tom Sawyer that I associated Rush with a song. But even then I didn't attach that name to those other songs. But probably in seventh grade I began to connect those dots. I received a record player for Christmas and a compilation record which had New World Man on it. So with Subdivision, and Spirit all entering my lexicon of Rush, and Trees, Limelight, Freewill, it all gelled into a mass of music I loved. So varied, so different, and so good.

So a singular song I can't say.

Subdivisions is the first one I memorized. New World Man the first I owned. Tom Sawyer that was a first 'favorite song'.

I'm going with Tom Sawyer. When I was 11 there was a fifteen year old next door that said he'd beat up anyone who didn't recognize how great Tom Sawyer was. Probably not being literal...

But that's how powerful that song was for creating new Rush fans when I was a preteen.

• Like 1

The first one was Spirit of Radio and the rest of Permanent Waves on a ghetto blaster in a connecting corridor in school in January 1980. After that it was Bastille Day and then the next few songs from All the World's a Stage in a physics lab. I'll say this those places were great for echo.

Here's the weirdest "First Rush song" answer you'll ever get..."Where's My Thing?" I won't even bother spilling the story behind it cause the circumstances leading to it were just as astronomically ridiculous as the song in question.
  • Like 1

I first posted this on another thread, but it feels appropriate here.

I was a young boy in Montreal and my parents had just gotten cable. The kind where it was hooked up to this box with 13 or so buttons that engaged and stayed down to select the channel you wanted. When you pressed down on another the one you had engaged would pop up. Not that many cable channels even existed yet, but I remember coming home and watching the channel that was reserved for Canada's first ever music channel, MuchMusic. Before it went live they played 5 or 6 videos on a loop and the only one I cared about and wanted to see every time was Distant Early Warning. I kept watching the video over and over again. It didn't hurt that I was about the same age as the boy in the video. It stuck with me forever and I became a RUSH fan then and there. Today Distant Early Warning isn't in my Top 20 favourite RUSH songs or even in my Top 4 from Grace Under Pressure, but back then seeing that video all the time was awesome.

Added an image for effect! Yes... it looked like this!

Push_button_cable_box.jpg

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 4

The first song that I heard that I knew it was Rush was Xanadu. I might have heard Lakeside Park or Anthem/Fly By Night on the radio before that.

What is the first Rush tune that you have heard?

Mine is Freewill and I liked it from a first listening.

I heard the spacey intro to 2112 in the summer of '76, when my buddy's older brother was listening to it in his car. I thought it was pretty weird "music". I was an AM radio junkie at that time, and thought shit like "A Fifth Of Beethoven" was good.

i remember hearing Closer To The Heart when i was little and thinking "this lady has a weird voice"
  • Like 2

The Trees 1978/79.My flatmate who liked anything odd or adventurous played it to me.Music was great.Lyrics were silly.I was 17 with a lot to learn Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1