Your first song by Rush?

Texas King

I want you to please welcome home...

Lessons taught but never learned

All around us anger burns

Guide the future by the past

Long ago the mould was cast

• Like 1

The Spirit of Radio on Exit...Stage Left. However, it wasn't until Red Barchetta that I became hooked

Friend at school asked me " Hey your into music ever heard of RUSH?" I said No because I was into Jazz and stuff and just started listening to rock . He said " Oh man you have to hear Neil Peart play the drums " .He lent me his Moving Pictures cassette . I popped in in my Sears walkman clone as I walked home. And it happened. That first synthesizer sweep of Tom Sawyer boiled my brain. I was a instant fan by the time the song ended. What made it especially great was this was around the time they released Exit...Stage Left. So you can imagine how I felt as I immediately bought every RUSH album I could afford in the next few weeks . When I heard Circumstances I was a fan forever. Edited by patjnev
  • Like 1

Here's another question for all you nutty Rush fans: Is there a Rush song that you re-discovered many years later? Maybe you missed it the first time you listened to the album/tape/CD or perhaps you heard it and it didn't make an impression the first time. But years later you gave it another whirl and it knocked you out? That has happened twice to me:

The first CD I ever bought back in 1990 was 2112. And I didn't listen much to side two, I admit. In 2002 I was listening to side 2 and heard 'Something For Nothing' and it blew me away! Powerful little gem hidden and tucked away at the VERY end of the CD.

The other song for me is Countdown. I've heard it before but it didn't connect with me. I was recently on YouTube and played it and it was incredible. I can feel the suspense building, like in a movie, how it changes slightly at 1:16 (it gives me goosebumps), then it blows up (not the shuttle, but the energy level) and the bass knocks me out off my chair at 2:00. Very cool!

The guys from Big Bang Theory would love Rush. If they made references to rock bands, Rush and Countdown would be it!

Middletown Dreams :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

I think it was 2112 from ATWAS. Or it might have been Bastille Day from ATWAS, though I think I was told to start with 2112. It was pretty mind-blowing for an eleven year-old.

The first song I heard was Working Man. The song that got me hooked was Far Cry which had just come out at the time.

Feels weird that Far Cry is already a decade old.

I suddenly feel very creaky.

I'm not really sure actually. I'm going to guess that it was "subdivisions." I might have heard something before that but I think that was the first tune by Rush that I knew was Rush. Also, that is around the time I first started getting into rock and so Rush were a band who were suddenly on my radar.

The first one was Spirit of Radio and the rest of Permanent Waves on a ghetto blaster in a connecting corridor in school in January 1980. After that it was Bastille Day and then the next few songs from All the World's a Stage in a physics lab. I'll say this those places were great for echo.

I believe the new, politically correct term is "less fortunate neighborhood blaster."

The first Rush song I ever heard was "The Spirit of Radio", and I loved it immediately. I didn't know it was Rush however (I hadn't yet heard of Rush) and was wondering who the woman singing the song was. That would have been sometime in 1980.

I first became aware of Rush from seeing older kids wearing Rush concert shirts and/or Rush album covers painted on the back of their denim jackets (that was a thing in the early 80s). They were typically long haired, leather jacket wearing types which led me to presume they must be a pretty intense heavy metal band. I had no clue that this was the band that did that song I had heard and liked so much.

I didn't realize The Spirit of Radio was a Rush song until years later.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 3

The first Rush song I ever heard was "The Spirit of Radio", and I loved it immediately. I didn't know it was Rush however (I hadn't yet heard of Rush) and was wondering who the woman singing the song was. That would have been sometime in 1980.

I have to admit, the first time I heard Tom Sawyer coming out of that boombox, I wondered if the singer was a demented witch. But I completely dug it. :D

• Like 1

I first became aware of Rush from seeing older kids wearing Rush concert shirts and/or Rush album covers painted on the back of their denim jackets (that was a thing in the early 80s). They were typically long haired, leather jacket wearing types which led me to presume they must be a pretty intense heavy metal band. I had no clue that this was the band that did that song I had heard and liked so much.

I didn't realize The Spirit of Radio was a Rush song until years later.

Yeah, your typical Rush fan in the '70s wouldn't have turned me on to Rush :P . Luckily I had an older brother into good music, and he convinced me, the summer of '76, to buy the Song Remains the Same with my birthday money if he bought this album by some band called Rush (which would be ATWAS), and we'd share. Turned out to be the best deal I ever made.

• Like 2

Notice how no one has said "Dog Years?" That's because anyone that had heard that song first would never listen to Rush again

I drifted away from Rush for about a year or so and "rediscovered" them right around the time T4E came out. I didn't know about the album but found it and was blown away that I found Rush songs I hadn't heard before. Then I discover the 'work in progress' videos that Neil did and "acquired" them. I swear Dog Years was played the most! I've said it many times here, the drums ROCK on that song.. !!

Edited by MMCXII

Tom Sawyer is the first song I ever heard and that got the ball rolling. The funny thing is I really hardly listen to Tom Sawyer now. So much great stuff.

Isn't it always that way though.. I love Zeppelin but never listen to stairway. I used to be a huge Doors fan but never listen to Light my fire..

• Like 1

What is the first Rush tune that you have heard?

Mine is Freewill and I liked it from a first listening.

I'm fairly certain mine was Tom Sawyer.

Someone put the Moving Pictures cassette in my boombox on the playground at school. 'Hey, put this on!' Fifth grade. 1981. Memories...wow...

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Tom Sawyer is the first song I ever heard and that got the ball rolling. The funny thing is I really hardly listen to Tom Sawyer now. So much great stuff.

Isn't it always that way though.. I love Zeppelin but never listen to stairway. I used to be a huge Doors fan but never listen to Light my fire..

I suppose most regular people off the streets to name a Rush song if they could Tom sawyer would be the one they would say the most. I love the song, but after really diving into the music there is so much more complex and intense stuff then that song and really that album.
  • Like 1