Why is OK Computer on two popular sites rated at the top of the best album ever?

Texas King

What you think?

On site Best Ever Albums OKC is rated as the second best album, while according to Rate Your Music it is No 1 album of all time.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

It looks so unreal to me.

How can OK Computer be rated much higher than for example an album Close to the Edge by Yes or any Rush album?

And what are your general views on this album? Is it overrated?

It's really quite simple....it's a stellar album, and I can certainly understand why many people rate it so highly.

I suspect that much of the voting will have come from those under 35, as albums such as CTTE will probably not be on many peoples radar.

Also, bear in mind it.s just two sites, which means next to nothing when all is said and done.

• Like 4

So...

There are four Radiohead albums in the top 15 and To Pimp A Butterfly is rated higher than any WHO album.

Radiohead trolls

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/200wtf_zps8860ce38.gif

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

It's all subjective.

No denying though that Radiohead touch more people than most bands.

• Like 2

Because Radiohead is post-Nirvana and still releasing great albums and touring, meaning they've not been relegated to a dinosoar act only to be played on classics stations or by those who are in the know about older music, which removes them from any age and outdated stigmas even though they are pretty old. Also they're extremely experimental and innovative, and have only been more so since OKC, actually pushing the boundaries of popular music more consistently and more notably than any band since The Beatles. They've been a humongous influence on modern music as well, and pretty much everyone who likes music and is interested in modern pop and rock has delved into Radiohead. This all makes them a prime candidate for the artist to top the list. Then it comes down to which of their many landmark releases is their best, which isn't really possible to determine since everything since OKC and after has been completely different. However, OKC is seen as the moment where they went from being just another 90s alt rock band, albeit very good (The Bends) and innovative. Plus, after OKC they did Kid A, which is far less accessible and almost not at all a rock album. OKC and Kid A are also often considered their most innovative and groundbreaking works, which pretty much puts the result between those two. Seeing as OKC is more accessible and actually sees the band still playing rock and roll, it's not hard to pick that one over Kid A.

Of course, it's just some people's opinions. In my opinion A Night At The Opera is the greatest album of all time and nothing short of an act of God is going to change that.

• Like 6

It's a consistent album with a good amount of perfect songs. It's both a culturally significant album (like dark side of the moon, which is ranked #2 on RYM) and an album with a far reaching appeal. You really need to consider that sort of thing when looking at top list as determined by the ratings of anyone and everyone.

How can OK Computer be rated much higher than any Rush album?

:facepalm:

New poll series:

OK Computer vs Rush VII: Is It Better Than Hold Your Fire??

• Like 4

One of the most over rated bands ever.

Critical darlings who made mediocre music that was weird enough to make critics and pretentious music fans fawn.

Even though I love OK, I agree with you on the latter day Radiohead Kid A kind of started the notion that you have to sound boring and monotonous to be innovative to the Pitchfork Media hipster sheeple. Overrated acts like Bon Iver are proof of this.

On top of that, King Of Limbs is one of the worst albums ever.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Good album but not great and definitely not the greatest. I like the tone of Thom's voice but he tends to use similar melodies/deliveries in more than one song. It's like a lot of droning half notes end to end. musically it's pretty damn good though.

I never listen to it, but it is an outstanding album. It's a classic from that era of popular rock music. It's even a progressive rock album, one could argue. I think of Radiohead as the Yes of the 90s alternative revolution bands. They can fill stadiums, but they challenge their audiences and evolve as a band--kind of like that band Rush. So while I don't often listen to Radiohead, they are a cool band, and OKC is just as deserving as any other album. I mean, can't we just be happy that the top-rated album isn't the Foo Fighters or Green Day or something totally lame like that?
  • Like 1

So...

There are four Radiohead albums in the top 15 and To Pimp A Butterfly is rated higher than any WHO album.

Radiohead trolls

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/200wtf_zps8860ce38.gif

God damn Pitchfork hipsters.

Yeah, f**k Pitchfork, they gave that album I love a 4.9 when it should've been an 8.8! They permanently damaged my hipster music feelies that I'm currently still in therapy coping such atrocity! Edited by PolarizeMe

Jokes of mine aside, I personally think OK Computer is a great album. Yes, OK Computer is generally consider to be the most acclaimed albums of the '90s by most people and by extent, considered one of the greatest albums in all of music history. But, I don't think it's worth pressing your berserk button over if you think it's not as good or in the same league as "Album XYZ" by "Band ABC". Some TRFers already chimed in and gave really good answers to the OP's question, but I'll also add to that for most people there's something about OK Computer that just resonates with listeners who enjoy it. I would also add that Radiohead is the band that every era/decade/generation/etc. of music seems to have that the overall music community has common ground with enjoying regardless of taste, cliques, music scenes/circles, etc.

But ultimately though (as some have pointed out already), it's all subjective. And just because there's a few hundred in every thousand people that love it doesn't mean you'll necessarily like it too. There's plenty of widely acclaimed albums and/or bands I don't care for or even genuinely dislike, but none of you don't need to know which those are now do you?

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 3

I never listen to it, but it is an outstanding album. It's a classic from that era of popular rock music. It's even a progressive rock album, one could argue. I think of Radiohead as the Yes of the 90s alternative revolution bands. They can fill stadiums, but they challenge their audiences and evolve as a band--kind of like that band Rush. So while I don't often listen to Radiohead, they are a cool band, and OKC is just as deserving as any other album. I mean, can't we just be happy that the top-rated album isn't the Foo Fighters or Green Day or something totally lame like that?

But I like The Foos and Green Day. :(

But I like The Foos and Green Day. :(

Exactly. Exactly, my friend.

One of the most over rated bands ever.

Critical darlings who made mediocre music that was weird enough to make critics and pretentious music fans fawn.

Even though I love OK, I agree with you on the latter day Radiohead Kid A kind of started the notion that you have to sound boring and monotonous to be innovative to the Pitchfork Media hipster sheeple. Overrated acts like Bon Iver are proof of this.

I mostly agree with this, especially the Bon Iver part (they literally hurt my ears). The thing any serious music fan must give Radiohead credit is their ability to genre shift, even on the same album, and yet seem entirely grounded in what makes them 'Radiohead'. They've never seemingly gone radio friendly, or weird for weird sake. Every step and stop has been calculated. And now, like Rush and many uncompromising bands before/since, they call their own shots and still find success at every turn despite those turns sometimes being 90 or 180 degrees.

• Like 1