Hip hop is definitely welcome in the RnRHoF?

Texas King

It's a legitimate genre of rock and roll.

So are many other genres in which the RRHoF denies.

My statement doesn't concern what the RRHoF denies. Prog rock is starting to be acknowledged. That's good, but where are Judas Priest and Iron Maiden? Is that your point? If so, we are in agreement.

I've always thought and still do, a Rock and Roll hall of fame should have a set definition for what musical genre (not attitude, not style, not of that other stuff) defines Rock and Roll. If they want to put Tupac in, it should be called the Popular Music Hall Of Fame...or why not just the Musicians' Hall Of Fame?
  • Like 1

I've always thought and still do, a Rock and Roll hall of fame should have a set definition for what musical genre (not attitude, not style, not of that other stuff) defines Rock and Roll. If they want to put Tupac in, it should be called the Popular Music Hall Of Fame...or why not just the Musicians' Hall Of Fame?

A Musicians HOF would then have to include jazz, classical, etc.

It's called the Rock and Roll HOF, but it's for blues, folk, pop, rock (and all its sub-genres), R&B, soul, rap/hip hop, country, funk -- really, they're all kinda related anyway, so calling it the Rock and Roll HOF is not that big a deal.

The issue a lot of people have is that it's not the "official" HOF for rock music, it's a privately-owned institution run by a guy -- Jann Wenner -- who has his own agenda and preferences. It's his HOF, even though it's billed as the official HOF for rock music. And he doesn't like prog and certain British metal acts, so that's why it took so long to get Rush and Deep Purple in there, and why Judas Preist and Iron Maiden are still on the outside, while acts like Guns N' Roses and Blondie are in.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 7

The name is misleading. It's a music hall of fame no doubt. The name rock n roll hall of fame just sounds better and is easy to market more than calling it the popular music hall of fame or something like that. Rap does belong in it since the hall has come to acknowledge accomplishments in all forms of music.

I do think that rap/hip hop has become a popular enough genre that their own hall of fame could be created. But until then, we'll have to accept that those artists will go into the rock hall.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

It's called the Rock and Roll HOF, but it's for blues, folk, pop, rock (and all its sub-genres), R&B, soul, rap/hip hop, country, funk -- really, they're all kinda related anyway, so calling it the Rock and Roll HOF is not that big a deal.

The issue a lot of people have is that it's not the "official" HOF for rock music, it's a privately-owned institution run by a guy -- Jann Wenner -- who has his own agenda and preferences. It's his HOF, even though it's billed as the official HOF for rock music. And he doesn't like prog and certain British metal acts, so that's why it took so long to get Rush and Deep Purple in there, and why Judas Preist and Iron Maiden are still on the outside, while acts like Guns N' Roses and Blondie are in.

This. It's the biggest issue at hand. Tupac is more culturally relevant than Motörhead or Maiden. That's more important to the hall Yahoo!'s than actual musical output or influence.

• Like 1

That is really unfair. He should not put bands and artist he hates aside. He should put bands in that deserve it, not bands that have not done much at all to get nominated.

That is really unfair. He should not put bands and artist he hates aside. He should put bands in that deserve it, not bands that have not done much at all to get nominated.

It's his hall, he can do what he wants with it. Which is why a lot of people have an issue with him calling it "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

• Like 3

All I know is that when Mr. blues and I went to the actual Hall, it was raining. The glass pyramid ceiling was leaking in like 20 places and there were all these wastebaskets underneath, in what is supposed to be the great main hall, to catch the drips. Jann Wenner doesn't do things the best way, IMO. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Holler if you hear me!

Tupac was great with the digital underground and his first two solo discs killed it. Then he started suck when he hooked up with death row.

He belongs but must say that all the rap groups inducted only made a few records worth a shit.

Even public enemy only had 3 great records

Edited by tangy

As much as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden should be in there, also King Crimson easily should be as creators of prog rock!

And Roxy Music. There are a lot of English bands that deserve induction.

I personally think the Monkees should be inducted.

• Like 1

As much as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden should be in there, also King Crimson easily should be as creators of prog rock!

And Roxy Music. There are a lot of English bands that deserve induction.

I personally think the Monkees should be inducted.

I'm surprised The Monkees aren't in it. They had a huge impact on popular music.

• Like 2

If you want to feel old and depressed

Next Year they could put in:

Wu Tang Clan

Dave Matthews Band

Counting Crows

Sheryl Crow

Snoop Dogg

If you want to feel old and depressed

Next Year they could put in:

Wu Tang Clan

Dave Matthews Band

Counting Crows

Sheryl Crow

Snoop Dogg

I don't feel old ( for my age ) and definitely not depressed. Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaa :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: