Hip hop is definitely welcome in the RnRHoF?

Texas King

I'd like to hear why some people here don't think hip hop or rap is not a genre unto itself

The branches and vines travel all over with any form of music, but I do not see rock and roll as a subgenre of country or blues, even though that is where is started

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Hip hop and rap may have roots in rock and roll, but in my opinion they have become far to different. I personally don't like these genres anyway, but just speaking objectively I believe that rap and hip hop have no place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Listen to a song like "Hound Dog" by Elvis, and then a song like "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne (yes, I know he's not on the ballot, but I'm comparing for comparison's sake). They're completely different. Edited by Disk98
  • Like 2

I'd like to hear why some people here don't think hip hop or rap is not a genre unto itself

The branches and vines travel all over with any form of music, but I do not see rock and roll as a subgenre of country or blues, even though that is where is started

Funny, the reason hip hop is a form of rock is because rock came from blues and r&b roots like hip hop. I see different branches of same tree.

Listen to a song like "Hound Dog" by Elvis, and then a song like "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne. They're completely different.

The only thing these two have in common is that they have a guitar in some capacity...albeit the latter song has the worst excuse of a "guitar solo".

• Like 1

Hip hop and rap may have roots in rock and roll, but in my opinion they have become far to different. I personally don't like these genres anyway, but just speaking objectively I believe that rap and hip hop have no place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Listen to a song like "Hound Dog" by Elvis, and then a song like "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne (yes, I know he's not on the ballot, but I'm comparing for comparison's sake). They're completely different.

Check out the original

Funny, the reason hip hop is a form of rock is because rock came from blues and r&b roots like hip hop. I see different branches of same tree.

Point to where I said that hip hop is not a form of rock

I simply asked why hip hop is not considered a genre on its own ( as rock and roll is )

• Like 1

I simply asked why hip hop is not considered a genre on its own ( as rock and roll is )

Point to where I said you said that (sigh).... I answered the question in the manner I felt appropriate, not the way I thought you wanted to hear it.

• Like 1

I don't care that hip hop is HOF eligible.

For one, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is tedious. It isn't reflective of anything.

I can see a Hall of fame centered around fan opinion, and I can see one centered around artist opinion. But the club that actually has a say doesn't hold any interest for me. Anyone here has an opinion I value as much as the Hall's.

If I had a HOF, mine would be artist run. Any recording artist (how that's determined is to be determined) gets a vote. And anyone they want is eligible, because whoever they chose is obviously relevant to their craft.

I love some hip hop.

The Coup

Sage Francis

Digable Planets

De La Soul

Illogic

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

But I dislike more of it. Basically the same as country or pop, I have to look beyond the radio to find the good stuff most of the time. Typical music lover conceit on the apparent surface, but I really do hate commercial radio.

Point to where I said you said that (sigh).... I answered the question in the manner I felt appropriate, not the way I thought you wanted to hear it.

;)

Hip hop and rap may have roots in rock and roll, but in my opinion they have become far to different. I personally don't like these genres anyway, but just speaking objectively I believe that rap and hip hop have no place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Listen to a song like "Hound Dog" by Elvis, and then a song like "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne (yes, I know he's not on the ballot, but I'm comparing for comparison's sake). They're completely different.

Check out the original

http://youtu.be/XRVnJ89oisM

boy elis did kinda white wash this song........pun intended, lol.

i always like big mama's version more.

Mick