Presto!

JohnRogers

I'm going to try brushing my teeth to Superconductor. :)

I'm going to start brushing my teeth.

Be sure to do it to Superconductor.

I'll let you know how I did tomorrow. I probably won't get far because I'll be laughing. :D

The verdict is in.

:boo hiss: on brushing to the song.

:ebert: on flossing! Quite a beat to floss to. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Try it and see! :)

I'm afraid I'd want to gag myself on my toothbrush.

Is it weird that after listening to Presto a few times since I posted in this thread, I actually kind of like it? but in a weird way like maybe, maybe not, i don't know

The problem with Presto, I think, is that the songs just don't fit with each other. Superconductor could be excused from a cheesy late-80's band, and actually be quite successful, but coming from Rush it's weak. I like the title track's lyrics a lot but that, too, does not feel like Rush. Chain Lightning has a good chorus but otherwise... I don't know. And I already forgot what the rest of the songs sound like. It's just not ~intense~ like their other records can be. It's not unpleasant. It's just there.

I know that a lot of you have been listening to Rush for a much longer time than I have; I'm just beginning to discover the music and giving newbie first and second-impressions. I feel like a kid that grew up in the woods that was just given a twitter account and a subscription to netflix. Lots of "whoaaa". Hopefully somebody finds this amusing. From what I understand this is not an uncommon opinion. :)

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 2

Is it weird that after listening to Presto a few times since I posted in this thread, I actually kind of like it? but in a weird way like maybe, maybe not, i don't know

The problem with Presto, I think, is that the songs just don't fit with each other. Superconductor could be excused from a cheesy late-80's band, and actually be quite successful, but coming from Rush it's weak. I like the title track's lyrics a lot but that, too, does not feel like Rush. Chain Lightning has a good chorus but otherwise... I don't know. And I already forgot what the rest of the songs sound like. It's just not ~intense~ like their other records can be. It's not unpleasant. It's just there.

I know that a lot of you have been listening to Rush for a much longer time than I have; I'm just beginning to discover the music and giving newbie first and second-impressions. I feel like a kid that grew up in the woods that was just given a twitter account and a subscription to netflix. Lots of "whoaaa". Hopefully somebody finds this amusing. From what I understand this is not an uncommon opinion. :)

I think you pretty much describe many people's feeling about Presto...just a big pile of meh. Their other material meets such a high standard, that anything less is hard to accept.
  • Like 1

Also, Presto has three of my top ten Rush songs:

Chain Lightning

Presto

Available Light

Moving Pictures has two:

Red Barchetta

Limelight

Ya I suppose three twos beat a pair of aces.. I guess :/

Its easy to beat up on Rupert but technically whoever engineered the sessions and did final mix on the masters is responsible for the sonics of the final product.

Also, some blame has to go to Geddy and Alex for using processed Signature guitars and a dinky-sounding Wal bass

Just sayin'.....

• Like 2

Haters gonna hate! Kidding. But honestly, I adore Presto. And not just because my member title comes from the title song. It's my go-to pick-me-up especially if I've had a bad day. Available Light is gorgeous; love love the piano there. Besides, I wouldn't even use the CD case as a coaster. It has bunnies on it! Bunnies!

Available Light is sooo underrated. I would make the argument it's one of their best post-MP songs. Lyrics are great too.

"Promise offered in the east/Broken in the west"

• Like 4

Its easy to beat up on Rupert but technically whoever engineered the sessions and did final mix on the masters is responsible for the sonics of the final product.

Also, some blame has to go to Geddy and Alex for using processed Signature guitars and a dinky-sounding Wal bass

Just sayin'.....

Agreed on the final mix. It lacked punch, for sure But it was a return to a more guitar-centered sound, which I remember all my RUSH friends celebrating at the time.

Just sayin'.....

Agreed on the final mix. It lacked punch, for sure But it was a return to a more guitar-centered sound, which I remember all my RUSH friends celebrating at the time.

I love the irony that the instruments that Geddy and Alex are miming with in the Show Don't Tell video (Gibson and Fender Jazz) are the ones they shouldve recorded that album with instead of the Signature/Wal combo from the previous few records.

• Like 1

There are some enjoyable songs on the album -- chain lightning, hand over fist, and available light in particular -- but its nowhere close to the band's best output. And song for song, the much maligned Roll the Bones is better.

Plus, the drums are too "snappy", and the guitars, and bass, in particular, have absolutely no character to them.

I actually like the snare sound on Presto

I do too! I always liked the piccolo snare.

If Neil had continued to use it for longer than two albums, I don't know that it would stand out as much- but the fact that it is only featured on Presto and Roll the Bones...it just fits those albums, I think. It fits with the overall sound of that era, very well.

• Like 1

Available Light is one of the bands greatest songs.

I think it's easily the best album closer of the last 31 years.

The Garden >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Available Light

Available Light is one of the bands greatest songs.

I think it's easily the best album closer of the last 31 years.

The Garden<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Available Light

Agreed

Don't attribute any positive comments about Presto to me, that's libelous.

Presto's tinpan production makes the album hard to listen to. I really only like the title track and The Pass, both of which sound much better live.
  • Like 1