Presto!

JohnRogers

Tomorrow a face off battleface, in one corner Available Light in another box The Garden. I will decide the victor and all debate will cease. So say we all.

Just make a poll with just those two songs. I don't see the big deal.

The only issue I have with polls is what is the point?

They lead some to pat each other in the back whilst the rest proudly don't care one iota if the least popular is their favourite.

Whose mind is going to be changed by a poll?

I mean, hopefully it'll lead to a bit of topic-centric discussion with people explaining why they picked their song instead of just announcing they picked it.

That's the idea, at least.

Yup.

And yeah, it's true that many won't offer any discussion and do exactly what Segue said (pat themselves on the back, etc). I don't think anyone's mind has to necessarily be changed in order for a worthwhile discussion to be had.

I'm listening right now and can only conclude that Presto haters have no heart. Probably Ted Cruz supporters...

I'm listening to Rush's fourth album right now and can only conclude that 2112 haters have no brain. Probably Bernie Sanders supporters.

• Like 1

I'm listening right now and can only conclude that Presto haters have no heart. Probably Ted Cruz supporters...

I'm listening to Rush's fourth album right now and can only conclude that 2112 haters have no brain. Probably Bernie Sanders supporters.

2112 is pure magic. And it's a pure Bernie album, thematically. Fight the Machine...and when you're done feeling the Bern, flip to side two and burn one.

2112 is pure magic. And it's a pure Bernie album, thematically. Fight the Machine...and when you're done feeling the Bern, flip to side two and burn one.

Well, that's certainly a unique take (and there's probably a reason for that). Fight the machine to grow the machine? Doesn't make a lot of sense, and the world exposed by the Oracle is the antithesis of Bernie World. I'm not sure what Bernie's take on legalization is, but the concept in the song concluding the album is anathema to Bernie's ethos.

• Like 1

Well, that's certainly a unique take (and there's probably a reason for that). Fight the machine to grow the machine? Doesn't make a lot of sense, and the world exposed by the Oracle is the antithesis of Bernie World. I'm not sure what Bernie's take on legalization is, but the concept in the song concluding the album is anathema to Bernie's ethos.

Not if you take the lyrics to mean that higher taxes is what it takes.

"You can't get, something for nothing...You won't get, free stuff for free!" :LOL:

Not if you take the lyrics to mean that higher taxes is what it takes.

"You can't get, something for nothing...You won't get, free stuff for free!" :LOL:

Bernie loses it at "what you own is your own kingdom". Or actually four words from the end of that phrase.

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha... :P

• Like 1

Presto sounds like HYF with all the extras taken out.

Yes - I think when they decided to get "back to basics" in a way, they stripped back the keys but forgot that during the mid- to late 80s they were playing instrumentation that lent itself to a wiry, thin sound. (As were a lot of folks at the time.) So it has a lot of openness to it, free of the synths. But it exposed how over-produced and thin the sound was without it. I think that was when Al said, "Um guys, we left our balls in 1982 when Ged traded 'em in for those synths". After that, they swung back towards a harder rock sound, starting with CP.

But having said all that, with the exception of a few clunkers (too much free space on them darned CDs) I like a lot of Presto. I even like "Superconductor". I know its not a popular opinion around these parts, but that's just me.

• Like 3

To me, Presto is a good "winter album". I don't know how many besides me associate albums with seasons (maybe it's the release date, I don't know), but it's rather gloomy.

I agree with that, Presto is a winter album for me as well. Power Windows and Signals ring of summer.

I also think of albums in terms of night and day albums. FbN, CoS, 2112, AFTK and Hemi are all good night time albums for me. HYF is a good mid morning Sunday album.

• Like 1

I've been running the Available Light vs The Garden experiment but I'm not ready to hand down a final ruling yet.

I originally said The Garden but now I'm reconsidering because feelings are weird.

Tomorrow a face off battleface, in one corner Available Light in another box The Garden. I will decide the victor and all debate will cease. So say we all.

I can't seem to find a live version of Available Light, is that bootleg only???

It hasn't been played live.

• Like 2

Never??? :wtf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG3Q47fRkZo

Cool cover! I guess I should be more specific in my wording next time to avoid such loopholes. :P

• Like 1

Cool cover! I guess I should be more specific in my wording next time to avoid such loopholes. :P

:dweez:

Nope, not by the Rush guys.

If they ever did, I would have besmirched myself with joy! Wonderful song.

• Like 2

Nope, not by the Rush guys.

If they ever did, I would have besmirched myself with joy! Wonderful song.

True that.
  • Like 1

:dweez:

Isn't that dude a TRFer? Saw something else he covered (or someone else posted one of his covers) and thought it was quite good too.

• Like 1