Jump to content

Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now


Recommended Posts

Black Midi

The Cardiacs

Mr Bungle

 

Oh my God! Got drawn into Black Midi via a  Mojo mag review of their latest album Hellfire. 

I read that their possible antecedents were The Cardiacs and Primus or bands of their ilk.

So I checked them and The Cardiacs out on the 'tube.

Wow - completely manic - both of them. Very indie/punk-type genre with huge prog/jazz/rock/madness influences thrown in.

Highly accomplished and crazy music, for the most part.

 

I remembered Mike Patton referencing The Cardiacs too at some point so that lead me to see the latest incarnation of Mr Bungle. Seems to have morphed into a thrash-version now with Lombardo and Scott Ian on board. 

Their cover of Van Halen's Loss of Control was very entertaining and spot on.

 

Phew - I need to calm down musically and now break out The Mars Volta and Zappa records....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

 

Bit more straight ahead Heavy Metal especially to early Priest.  Love Saxon.

Probably sacrilege to many but I've never really got into Priest in a big way. I like the odd song here or there but there never found their output completely satisfying. Sorry :blush2:

Priest are amazing but I'm loving the straight ahead style of Saxon. They don't have the highest highs but I love their first 7 albums. Slowly working my way through them all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2022 at 5:12 AM, Malignant Narcissist said:

Black Midi

The Cardiacs

Mr Bungle

 

Oh my God! Got drawn into Black Midi via a  Mojo mag review of their latest album Hellfire. 

I read that their possible antecedents were The Cardiacs and Primus or bands of their ilk.

So I checked them and The Cardiacs out on the 'tube.

Wow - completely manic - both of them. Very indie/punk-type genre with huge prog/jazz/rock/madness influences thrown in.

Highly accomplished and crazy music, for the most part.

 

I remembered Mike Patton referencing The Cardiacs too at some point so that lead me to see the latest incarnation of Mr Bungle. Seems to have morphed into a thrash-version now with Lombardo and Scott Ian on board. 

Their cover of Van Halen's Loss of Control was very entertaining and spot on.

 

Phew - I need to calm down musically and now break out The Mars Volta and Zappa records....

 

 

I was obsessed with Cardiacs for all of last year. I highly recommend picking up their Mare's Nest performance (or watch it on youtube) as well as Tales From The Rotten Shed. i still have yet to listen to "Guns" - putting it off since it's their worst received album, but otherwise I've been going through their catalogue like a mad man. All their radio sessions are great listens too, Tim's an insane personality

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, condemned2bfree said:

Artillery. Some of the best metal riffage/music I've ever heard. 

YESYESYESYES

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Styx 

Rhapsody Of Fire

AFI

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ZZ Top.  They're a lot like Skynyrd for me, and not just because of their southern flavor.   If you asked me to name my favorite bands, I don't immediately think of them.  But when I listen to them, I'm reminded of how much I love their music.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rick N. Backer said:

ZZ Top.  They're a lot like Skynyrd for me, and not just because of their southern flavor.   If you asked me to name my favorite bands, I don't immediately think of them.  But when I listen to them, I'm reminded of how much I love their music.

I love ZZ Top. I'm the same, I always forget until I replay them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

none ATM but i've been listening to King Crimson's 80's album trilogy once every month or so ever since last year and i'm glad each time i do, so maybe 80's King Crimson counts as a prolonged answer. love their entire catalogue, and i'd say Thrak/Red are my favorite albums by them with Discipline landing in third maybe(?), but in spite of all this their 80's era in particular has something very special about it. 

 

They also have a huge archive of live performances from this era which are all great to watch as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Testament

 

I'm not a huge fan of thrash metal, but I am a HUGE fan of Testament. Pretty flawless discography, I adore everything they have done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plan 9. Great Garage type band. Sounds like the Doors, Ghost Blue Oyster Cult. How these guys are not known more beggars belief. Dealing With the Dead, New Rose, Frustration great albums for the 1st offing. Many more albums to check out. Happy to experience them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, condemned2bfree said:

Plan 9. Great Garage type band. Sounds like the Doors, Ghost Blue Oyster Cult. How these guys are not known more beggars belief. Dealing With the Dead, New Rose, Frustration great albums for the 1st offing. Many more albums to check out. Happy to experience them.

Def give them a shot, thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still Testament and Rhapsody Of Fire. 

 

I try to get into thrash metal more, but I find it rather one dimensional. However, I have always adored Testament, and I've been getting into them again hard lately

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Still Testament and Rhapsody Of Fire. 

 

I try to get into thrash metal more, but I find it rather one dimensional. However, I have always adored Testament, and I've been getting into them again hard lately

 

 

 

I thought you liked Megadeth. Have you given Anthrax a listen? I always thought they were more than a one dimensional thrash band. They focused a lot on melodic hooks and usually have longer song intros and instrumental parts than other bands in the genre.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

 

I thought you liked Megadeth. Have you given Anthrax a listen? I always thought they were more than a one dimensional thrash band. They focused a lot on melodic hooks and usually have longer song intros and instrumental parts than other bands in the genre.

I can't stand Anthrax. I do really like Megadeth, but there discography is very inconsistent to me. And unlike Testament, there are times I just don't want to listen to the vocals.

 

But Megadeth on top form is insane. 

 

I think Metallica are good but I don't even rate their classic albums that high compared to many metal fans.

 

I do really like Kreator and Mekong Delta.

Edited by Segue Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I can't stand Anthrax. I do really like Megadeth, but there discography is very inconsistent to me. And unlike Testament, there are times I just don't want to listen to the vocals.

 

But Megadeth on top form is insane. 

 

I think Metallica are good but I don't even rate their classic albums that high compared to many metal fans.

 

I do really like Kreator and Mekong Delta.

 

Why can't you stand Anthrax?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

️Journey ☀️  ALL eras :pirate: 

pre-Perry ( esp. side 2 of ‘ Next ‘ ) 

peak ‘78-86

even Trial by Fire’s more Rockin’ tracks 🙃

Eclipse :ROCK: ( No ballads LOL … good ! ) 

new album Freedom ( ballads are back , but I like them on this album LOL  … as there’s a better balance 👍🙂

 

️ Enchant

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

 

Why can't you stand Anthrax?

I've tried them many times. I find them really, really lacking in something that I can't put my finger on. It's similar to how empty I find Aerosmith, Guns N Roses and Creed. I can hear the appeal but it does nothing for me.

 

But as always if you think I'm missing out, I'm game for an album suggestion. I'm always happy to retry bands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

️Journey ☀️  ALL eras :pirate: 

pre-Perry ( esp. side 2 of ‘ Next ‘ ) 

peak ‘78-86

even Trial by Fire’s more Rockin’ tracks 🙃

Eclipse :ROCK: ( No ballads LOL … good ! ) 

new album Freedom ( ballads are back , but I like them on this album LOL  … as there’s a better balance 👍🙂

 

️ Enchant

 

dude Trial By Fire's WAY underrated.

 

Message of Love

One More

'When You Love A Woman

If he Should Break Your Heart

Forever In Blue

Still She Cries

It's Just the Rain

Trial by Far

 

Sure it's ballad heavy.......but all those tracks listed are CLASSIC Journey.  AND......i adore Steve's more mature voice on this album.

 

too bad the lineup imploded after this.  i really do think this configuration had more great albums in them.

 

Mick

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jimmy Eat World.

 

Had i not been obsessed with Steely Dan in the Early 2000's i might found these guys sooner.  i knew of them and had probably heard songs here and there.  However they never clicked in my brain i guess.

 

now probably a top ten band all time for me.

 

Mick

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've tried them many times. I find them really, really lacking in something that I can't put my finger on. It's similar to how empty I find Aerosmith, Guns N Roses and Creed. I can hear the appeal but it does nothing for me.

 

But as always if you think I'm missing out, I'm game for an album suggestion. I'm always happy to retry bands.

 

I would say go with Persistence Of Time. Easily the bands best album. Darker tone, serious lyrics, musically it's kind of progressive. Have you ever heard anything with John Bush on vocals? He's a much different vocalist than Joey Belladonna. More aggressive and emotional but also very melodic. Try the album Sound Of White Noise. That was the first album with Bush. They went the more traditional metal sounding route and tried to write something a little more appealing but it's still Anthrax. If you want something more aggressive with Bush on vocals try We've Come For You All.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...