Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

On 4/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Is Hatebreed good?

Geesh, I haven't heard them in ages.  They're good, better than most in that heavier (Nu Metal) genre.  I think there's a new singer so not sure about that part of the equation.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, bluefox4000 said:

UM......Black Sabbath.

Never saw this coming, lol they are so much more than just the metal label slapped on them.

there's rock in there......blues prog, folk, pop, ballads.

and my new favorite rhythm section.

Mick

Took me until about a decade ago to dive deep enough to realize much of this myself.  I only knew the few 'radio' hits, but there's quite a bit of diversity between songs within albums and definitely between albums.  The Wizard set it all in motion for me, not a song I heard a lot until it was brought to my attention, and it's pretty kick ass.  Opened the door to "Sabbath is more than sludgy doom".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Took me until about a decade ago to dive deep enough to realize much of this myself.  I only knew the few 'radio' hits, but there's quite a bit of diversity between songs within albums and definitely between albums.  The Wizard set it all in motion for me, not a song I heard a lot until it was brought to my attention, and it's pretty kick ass.  Opened the door to "Sabbath is more than sludgy doom".

yea all anyone talks is metal metal metal......and don't mix it up.....they should.......but i hear blues in there folk hard rock pop....little gospel  in there especially mid Ozzy era.

Actually from Sabbath bloddy Sabbath on they really try new things.

it's eye opening.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 1:49 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Is Hatebreed good?

They are but don't go in with high musical expectations. I think they're labeled as hardcore punk but a lot of the time are more melodic than what that label might make you think. Hatebreed is pretty much what Pantera would sound like if they were a hardcore punk band.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea all anyone talks is metal metal metal......and don't mix it up.....they should.......but i hear blues in there folk hard rock pop....little gospel  in there especially mid Ozzy era.

it's eye opening.

Mick

I thought it had become common knowledge over the years how versatile and experimental Sabbath was. War Pigs is one of their best known songs and that in no way is a normal composition. Kind of like ZZ Top, Sabbath took the blues and made it heavy. They were originally a blues band anyways. Iommi got in an accident at the factory he was working at and lost the tips on a couple of his fingers. So, he had to tune down the guitar so the vibrations didn't hurt his fingers and that's how we got the Sabbath sound.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's eye opening.

Mick

Have you gotten to the Dio stuff yet?

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Have you gotten to the Dio stuff yet?

i have and it's realy like a different band.  Heaven and hell sounds like the stuff Dio wound make with uh......Dio .  in that it's more straightforward fist pumping rock/metal anthems.  Ozzy era had an air of like experimentation which i like a lot.  Dio gets in with Heaven and hell.  turns it up to 11 and is like.  LET'S ROCK YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

lol

I like it a lot more cause i'm a Dio mark so,......had dio been the guy all along i think i'd dug Sabbath sooner.  believe it or not i thik Ozzy era requires a lot more time and effort.  Dio is Dio.  and is just a no nonsense balls to the wall true metal vocalist.  

but they really are different bands you can't compare i think

Mick

• Like 2

Queensryche, Pearl Jam, Savatage, Judas Priest, 

But especially Queensryche

• Like 4

On 4/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, J2112YYZ said:

It looks like the setup for your venue is similar to the one in Rochester with the general admission floor and balconies on the either side. Hopefully it's not in a crap part of town like the one in Rochester is. But it's Rochester so it's hard to avoid the crappy part of town anyway. The other band on the bill, Hatebreed, is well known for having a non stop pit during their shows. A good portion of these fans will probably be a little older so moshing might not really be too bad. It's not something people in their 40s and 50s will do. We can die in a pit at that age 😆

I love the Main Street Armory. I've only been there a couple times, but I've caught some great shows there. I go to a decent amount of shows in Rochester.

Alice Cooper.

this man both with band and solo os fantastic.

now i think he was strongest in the 70's.  

Killer

Love it to death

Bilion Dollar Babies

Muscle of Love

Nightmare

Ges To hell

From The Inside

The 80's weren't as kind to him at all aside from Dada which i just played and it is really really good for how messed up he was

weird hair pop/metal phase was underwheming to0 (just like  all hair metal.......oooooh come at me, lol) 

90's comeback era has The Last Temptation which was a nice surprise.......the only thing left to digest is the 2000's to now.

either way i love Alice he's so freakin' varied and interesting.

Mick

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Alice Cooper.

this man both with band and solo os fantastic.

now i think he was strongest in the 70's.  

Killer

Love it to death

Bilion Dollar Babies

Muscle of Love

Nightmare

Ges To hell

From The Inside

The 80's weren't as kind to him at all aside from Dada which i just played and it is really really good for how messed up he was

weird hair pop/metal phase was underwheming to0 (just like  all hair metal.......oooooh come at me, lol) 

90's comeback era has The Last Temptation which was a nice surprise.......the only thing left to digest is the 2000's to now.

either way i love Alice he's so freakin' varied and interesting.

Mick

Here's the thing with Cooper's hair metal era, he actually did that style better than most other bands who did it. He did play it safe a bit doing that style but a lot of those songs aren't your generic cock rock that hair metal became so known for. Alice was still twisted with a dark sense of humor during that time. He did get a little too Bon Jovi a handful of times on Trash though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Here's the thing with Cooper's hair metal era, he actually did that style better than most other bands who did it. He did play it safe a bit doing that style but a lot of those songs aren't your generic cock rock that hair metal became so known for. Alice was still twisted with a dark sense of humor during that time. He did get a little too Bon Jovi a handful of times on Trash though.

there's a reason he got very bon jovi.  he hired Desmond Child.  Pop/rock schlock king and bon jovi and 80's aerosmith collaborator.

and having said that i like some of his stuff.  but not on Alice.

Mick

• Like 2

Queensryche still, but today I'm spinning a lot of Sabaton and Epica.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

there's a reason he got very bon jovi.  he hired Desmond Child.  Pop/rock schlock king and bon jovi and 80's aerosmith collaborator.

and having said that i like some of his stuff.  but not on Alice.

Mick

You're right. Cooper and Desmond Child didn't really mix too well on some of those songs. Jon and Richie co-wrote Hell Is Living Without You with Cooper. He even sings the verses in a very Bon Jovi style. The other three albums from the hair metal era are good though. Hey Stoopid is the best one.

• Like 2

Mastodon

Avenged Sevenfold 

In Flames 

Trivium 

Four of my all time favourite bands, since my teens. Now the weather is warming up, these bands seem perfect listening!

• Like 1

Alice Cooper.

Truth is i never really left him.  i've been playing his 2000's/2010's stuff more.  it has it's moments (notably Brutal Planet and Dragontown.)  but it's a mixed bag.  I'm in the minority as i actually quite liked Nightmare 2.  it's just the modern production Choices let it down.

Also Dada's emerged as one of my favs.

still 70's era Alice is far and away best.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Alice Cooper.

Truth is i never really left him.  i've been playing his 2000's/2010's stuff more.  it has it's moments (notably Brutal Planet and Dragontown.)  but it's a mixed bag.  I'm in the minority as i actually quite liked Nightmare 2.  it's just the modern production Choices let it down.

Also Dada's emerged as one of my favs.

still 70's era Alice is far and away best.

Mick

Yeah, I think he's been a bit up and down since Dragontown too. I always feel like he puts in the best possible effort he can with each release since then. It's up and down but it never feels like he's slacking off or going through the motions. If that makes sense.

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Yeah, I think he's been a bit up and down since Dragontown too. I always feel like he puts in the best possible effort he can with each release since then. It's up and down but it never feels like he's slacking off or going through the motions. If that makes sense.

Absolutely. Aside from that blackout period.  it sounds like he really cares about every release.  and it comes through.  and i respect that he trired multiple times to re-invent himself.  he's never boring that's for sure.

also i watched a few concerts on youtube.  he puts on a fabulous show.  Meat loaf level showman i think.  it made me love him more.

• Like 2