Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

Grunge. That's it.

i always underrste this era of music. maybe it's cause i lived through it. but this era had some banger music.

i never really liked the term grunge and see it as just marketing cause all these bands all highly different and distinct.

Nirvana-I hear like a 1960's pop beatle like edge to them just with distortion added

Soundgarden-Dirtier almost garage rock with a tinge of Psychedelia

Pearl Jam- Has a rootsy folk-ier thing going even on Ten you can hear it. Sometimes to me it's Petty-esque.

Alice In chains- heavy sabbath King's X vibe here. with i think the best heaviest solos.

so yea there's other bands but to me they're all distinct and the grunge label does a bit of a dis-service to them.

have to say my least fav is Nirvana. i respect the influence and impact but they don't do much for me. Fav far and away is Alice In Chains. they just have a little something extra the other bands don't have. Dirt is my fav album of the era easily no contest.

pearl Jam is good too but for me they REALLY flame out after the first three.

Mick

Grunge was always a dumb label. AIC and Soundgarden were always metal to my ears. The Sabbath influence is massive on both. A lot of Soundgarden's riffs are straight out of Tony Iommi's book. Layne's vocal style is kind of reminiscent of how creepy and strange Ozzy sounded on the first couple of Sabbath albums. Pearl Jam is just a very good hard rock band. Nirvana was shitty garage rock who's real untapped potential turned out to be the guy who played drums for them. They get far more credit than they deserve for starting the whole musical movement while AIC never got enough. They released Facelift a year before Nevermind and had a massive hit with Man In The Box before anyone knew who the f**k Nirvana was. If AIC didn't hit it big first the door for the other three Seattle bands to make it huge very well could not have been opened.

Oh yeah, f**k Nirvana if I didn't make it clear before.

I never got the big deal with Nirvana. ESPECIALLY Kurt. Not an engaging lyricist or singer IMO. Dave's drums to me make Nevermind. i LOVE his feel so much.

The first 3 tracks on nevermind i enjoy. than i'm sorry to fans but the album bottoms out till Something in the Way.

Dirt is infinity rimes the better record AND Facelift 2.

Mick

Cobain's lyrics are some of these most nonsensical and random ones I have ever heard. His lyrics sound like they were written by a drunk middle schooler who was discovering new words but didn't know how to form sentences properly yet with them.

didn't he start obsessively smoking weed as a young teenager and then never stop? that would explain why, he stunted his brain.

there's this really funny solo album that's a collection of his reciting stories of his youth and other things, in one of them he explains how he was desperate to get laid so he tries having sex with this dimwitted special girl at her house, he ends up not going through with it but rumor catches the schoolyard anyway and he begins to be bullied with the nickname "retard f***er"

i read the lyrics to nevermind.

i was like da hell you on about?.......i don't get the kurt worship......saiis right by me.

Mick

Okay but...Steely Dan lyrics...

they actually have characters and are about things though. wacky i''ll give you that but they tell stories.

Kurt is like mad-libs, lol

Mick

I don’t know about this lyrics criticism. Pennyroyal Tea, Rape Me, Polly, and Heart Shaped Box all come to mind as pretty powerful imagery even if you don’t pick up on the messages.

Yes, especially Rape Me.

"Rape Me

Rape me my friend

Rape Me

Rape me again

I'm not the only one"

And repeat for two and a half minutes.

SO GENIUS AND DEEP!

HOW DID HE DO IT?!

I dunno man, if you don't get the meaning to that one oh well. It seems pretty obvious to me, and it's a powerful message at that.

No, it's not a powerful message. He tried to write about a serious matter and pretty much did it in the dumbest way possible.

Grunge. That's it.

i always underrste this era of music. maybe it's cause i lived through it. but this era had some banger music.

i never really liked the term grunge and see it as just marketing cause all these bands all highly different and distinct.

Nirvana-I hear like a 1960's pop beatle like edge to them just with distortion added

Soundgarden-Dirtier almost garage rock with a tinge of Psychedelia

Pearl Jam- Has a rootsy folk-ier thing going even on Ten you can hear it. Sometimes to me it's Petty-esque.

Alice In chains- heavy sabbath King's X vibe here. with i think the best heaviest solos.

so yea there's other bands but to me they're all distinct and the grunge label does a bit of a dis-service to them.

have to say my least fav is Nirvana. i respect the influence and impact but they don't do much for me. Fav far and away is Alice In Chains. they just have a little something extra the other bands don't have. Dirt is my fav album of the era easily no contest.

pearl Jam is good too but for me they REALLY flame out after the first three.

Mick

Grunge was always a dumb label. AIC and Soundgarden were always metal to my ears. The Sabbath influence is massive on both. A lot of Soundgarden's riffs are straight out of Tony Iommi's book. Layne's vocal style is kind of reminiscent of how creepy and strange Ozzy sounded on the first couple of Sabbath albums. Pearl Jam is just a very good hard rock band. Nirvana was shitty garage rock who's real untapped potential turned out to be the guy who played drums for them. They get far more credit than they deserve for starting the whole musical movement while AIC never got enough. They released Facelift a year before Nevermind and had a massive hit with Man In The Box before anyone knew who the f**k Nirvana was. If AIC didn't hit it big first the door for the other three Seattle bands to make it huge very well could not have been opened.

Oh yeah, f**k Nirvana if I didn't make it clear before.

I never got the big deal with Nirvana. ESPECIALLY Kurt. Not an engaging lyricist or singer IMO. Dave's drums to me make Nevermind. i LOVE his feel so much.

The first 3 tracks on nevermind i enjoy. than i'm sorry to fans but the album bottoms out till Something in the Way.

Dirt is infinity rimes the better record AND Facelift 2.

Mick

Cobain's lyrics are some of these most nonsensical and random ones I have ever heard. His lyrics sound like they were written by a drunk middle schooler who was discovering new words but didn't know how to form sentences properly yet with them.

didn't he start obsessively smoking weed as a young teenager and then never stop? that would explain why, he stunted his brain.

there's this really funny solo album that's a collection of his reciting stories of his youth and other things, in one of them he explains how he was desperate to get laid so he tries having sex with this dimwitted special girl at her house, he ends up not going through with it but rumor catches the schoolyard anyway and he begins to be bullied with the nickname "retard f***er"

i read the lyrics to nevermind.

i was like da hell you on about?.......i don't get the kurt worship......saiis right by me.

Mick

Okay but...Steely Dan lyrics...

they actually have characters and are about things though. wacky i''ll give you that but they tell stories.

Kurt is like mad-libs, lol

Mick

I don’t know about this lyrics criticism. Pennyroyal Tea, Rape Me, Polly, and Heart Shaped Box all come to mind as pretty powerful imagery even if you don’t pick up on the messages.

Yes, especially Rape Me.

"Rape Me

Rape me my friend

Rape Me

Rape me again

I'm not the only one"

And repeat for two and a half minutes.

SO GENIUS AND DEEP!

HOW DID HE DO IT?!

I dunno man, if you don't get the meaning to that one oh well. It seems pretty obvious to me, and it's a powerful message at that.

No, it's not a powerful message. He tried to write about a serious matter and pretty much did it in the dumbest way possible.

I don’t think so. He took the perspective of the victim and showed how absurd the perpetrator’s idea of “she wants it” really is. It’s satire, except it’s not funny.

As a victim of abuse, the blunt simplicity of R*** Me was a light for me as a teen, I really felt connected to someone using such emotional language and emotional frankness in a way that was both disconnected from my experience and yet very personable.

I can't explain what it is about Nirvana that I love so much, but the surreal lyrics and strange word paintings conjure strong emotional responses from me that I come back too again and again. Meanwhile, the honesty and detail of the words to the songs of Dirt have the opposite effect, though it only adds to that albums true brilliance.

Nirvana were a formative band for me, and I discovered them seemingly out of the blue at a time just before metal and hard rock took over my life. And I still listen to songs like Something In The Way, Dumb, Heart Shaped Box and R*** Me and feel strong, resonant emotions that remind me that the entire time I've battled my demons, something in music, or books, or movies has held my hand through it.

Even now, I quite like highly emotional music with vague lyrics. Lacuna Coil for example, especially their early albums. Tell me how you feel without really letting me know what makes you feel.

I feel Peart is a master at these kind of relatable lyrics too.

I'm not taking away from people who hate Nirvana. No band is for everybody, and of course it's absolutely fine to think the lyrics suck.

It's just my two cents.

In 2022, I'm not the fan of Nirvana I once was, but like Biffy Clyro, Lacuna Coil or Jimmy Eat World, I have intense listening periods where they are all I need. It's been a while though.

• Like 1

hey listen i'm sorry if i might have i kicked off something uncomfortable......i really am.

i was just expressing my opinion i'm all about people loving their own thing. if Nirvana means something to people then you should let that be known.

just cause i don't feel it oesn't mean there's not somethig there.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

hey listen i'm sorry if i might have i kicked off something uncomfortable......i really am.

i was just expressing my opinion i'm all about people loving their own thing. if Nirvana means something to people then you should let that be known.

just cause i don't feel it oesn't mean there's not somethig there.

Mick

Oh I don't think you have! I've actually really enjoyed hearing totally different thoughts to my own.

Nirvana are a band I can only really defend emotionally these days. I get the criticisms completely!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, Segue Myles said:

As a victim of abuse, the blunt simplicity of R*** Me was a light for me as a teen, I really felt connected to someone using such emotional language and emotional frankness in a way that was both disconnected from my experience and yet very personable.

I can't explain what it is about Nirvana that I love so much, but the surreal lyrics and strange word paintings conjure strong emotional responses from me that I come back too again and again. Meanwhile, the honesty and detail of the words to the songs of Dirt have the opposite effect, though it only adds to that albums true brilliance.

Nirvana were a formative band for me, and I discovered them seemingly out of the blue at a time just before metal and hard rock took over my life. And I still listen to songs like Something In The Way, Dumb, Heart Shaped Box and R*** Me and feel strong, resonant emotions that remind me that the entire time I've battled my demons, something in music, or books, or movies has held my hand through it.

Even now, I quite like highly emotional music with vague lyrics. Lacuna Coil for example, especially their early albums. Tell me how you feel without really letting me know what makes you feel.

I'm not taking away from people who hate Nirvana. No band is for everybody, and of course it's absolutely fine to think the lyrics suck.

It's just my two cents.

In 2022, I'm not the fan of Nirvana I once was, but like Biffy Clyro, Lacuna Coil or Jimmy Eat World, I have intense listening periods where they are all I need. It's been a while though.

I agree about vague but intensely relatable lyrics. It's the same thing that draws me more to Soundgarden than AIC. I also think Queen were often masters of this idea as well, writing near universally relatable lyrics without trying to wash away the emotional vulnerability that went into them.  I hope I didn't cause you any discomfort when I brought up that Nirvana song.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I agree about vague but intensely relatable lyrics. It's the same thing that draws me more to Soundgarden than AIC. I also think Queen were often masters of this idea as well, writing near universally relatable lyrics without trying to wash away the emotional vulnerability that went into them.  I hope I didn't cause you any discomfort when I brought up that Nirvana song.

Did you hear that Anthrax will be touring the US with Black Label Society? It looks like I will be seeing it on August 19th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Did you hear that Anthrax will be touring the US with Black Label Society? It looks like I will be seeing it on August 19th.

I saw an ad for that somewhere, exciting! I still need to give BLS a proper listen, but I did check them out lightly last time you recommended them to me and I liked them. Seeing Anthrax would be wicked regardless! I wonder if they'll play much from PoT. Lately that's my favorite of theirs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I saw an ad for that somewhere, exciting! I still need to give BLS a proper listen, but I did check them out lightly last time you recommended them to me and I liked them. Seeing Anthrax would be wicked regardless! I wonder if they'll play much from PoT. Lately that's my favorite of theirs.

POT has always been my favorite from them. They don't always do a lot off it though. They always play the cover of Got The Time for some reason. Belly Of The Beast and Keep It In The Family are the other ones they play somewhat regularly. The venue I will be seeing them at is an old armory. It's all general admission and fits like 5000 people. I'm guessing the mosh pit will get quite big at this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

POT has always been my favorite from them. They don't always do a lot off it though. They always play the cover of Got The Time for some reason. Belly Of The Beast and Keep It In The Family are the other ones they play somewhat regularly. The venue I will be seeing them at is an old armory. It's all general admission and fits like 5000 people. I'm guessing the mosh pit will get quite big at this.

I'm not brave enough for the mosh pit, lol. I'll have to save up some money for a ticket, see if I can get a seat.  I hope they pull out a couple more from PoT, but I do understand it's a lot of long, heavy, dark songs. You could fit more than one Madhouse in Time or Blood!  I'd prefer In My World to Keep It In The Family, but that's nitpicking, they're very close for me.

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I'm not brave enough for the mosh pit, lol. I'll have to save up some money for a ticket, see if I can get a seat.  I hope they pull out a couple more from PoT, but I do understand it's a lot of long, heavy, dark songs. You could fit more than one Madhouse in Time or Blood!  I'd prefer In My World to Keep It In The Family, but that's nitpicking, they're very close for me.

I don't do mosh pits either. They are a great visual at a metal show though. There's usually a designated mosh area or two at each show. If you don't want to go in then just stay away from it.  Nobody forces you into the pit unless they're a complete dick and don't know metal concert etiquette. I have seen Anthrax turn an entire floor into a mosh pit before. So up against the back wall might be best for you.

• Like 2

I don't do mosh pits either. They are a great visual at a metal show though. There's usually a designated mosh area or two at each show. If you don't want to go in then just stay away from it.  Nobody forces you into the pit unless they're a complete dick and don't know metal concert etiquette. I have seen Anthrax turn an entire floor into a mosh pit before. So up against the back wall might be best for you.

If there's any band that can do that, it would have to be Anthrax! Back wall might be best, lol. Unless there are balconies that will get me a better view. Will have to check where they're playing near me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

If there's any band that can do that, it would have to be Anthrax! Back wall might be best, lol. Unless there are balconies that will get me a better view. Will have to check where they're playing near me.

Just duck, cover and run when they do something off Among The Living. Seriously, nobody stands still during those songs 

• Like 1

Just duck, cover and run when they do something off Among The Living. Seriously, nobody stands still during those songs 

Lol. Well I just checked and I think I could make the Silver Springs MD show, that's very close to me. I could pay 160 for a single seat off to either side... or I could get right up against the back wall and try to stay out of the pit that way for only 50. I think I'll do the latter.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:08 AM, Segue Myles said:

It's just my two cents.

At least you actually feel a connection and know their songs.  That's more than I can say for people who believe that those band tee shirts at Hot Topic are fashion brands and don't know a single song from them.  I knew someone like that who had a Smiths shirt.

Pearl Jam, who I loved, had similar songs about oppressed especially for female protagonists like Why Go, Animal, Daughter and Leash.

Edited by invisible airwave

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol. Well I just checked and I think I could make the Silver Springs MD show, that's very close to me. I could pay 160 for a single seat off to either side... or I could get right up against the back wall and try to stay out of the pit that way for only 50. I think I'll do the latter.

Nowhere will be safe during the "Wardance" part in Indians though. I think that show is the day before mine. I remember thinking they're really going to travel from Maryland to New York state in one day? It's not like Rochester is right over the state border either. They have to travel to the northern part of the state.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Nowhere will be safe during the "Wardance" part in Indians though. I think that show is the day before mine. I remember thinking they're really going to travel from Maryland to New York state in one day? It's not like Rochester is right over the state border either. They have to travel to the northern part of the state.

Well if I get squished to a pulp during the best part of my favorite Anthrax song (which does happen to be exactly what you just described, lol), maybe they'll assume I'm part of the set/decorations, load me on the truck, and drive me up to meet you in Rochester! lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well if I get squished to a pulp during the best part of my favorite Anthrax song (which does happen to be exactly what you just described, lol), maybe they'll assume I'm part of the set/decorations, load me on the truck, and drive me up to meet you in Rochester! lol

It looks like the setup for your venue is similar to the one in Rochester with the general admission floor and balconies on the either side. Hopefully it's not in a crap part of town like the one in Rochester is. But it's Rochester so it's hard to avoid the crappy part of town anyway. The other band on the bill, Hatebreed, is well known for having a non stop pit during their shows. A good portion of these fans will probably be a little older so moshing might not really be too bad. It's not something people in their 40s and 50s will do. We can die in a pit at that age 😆

• Like 2

In Flames

Iron Maiden

Blind Guardian

Same as usual 

• Like 2

UM......Black Sabbath.

Never saw this coming, lol they are so much more than just the metal label slapped on them.

there's rock in there......blues prog, folk, pop, ballads.

and my new favorite rhythm section.

Mick

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

UM......Black Sabbath.

Never saw this coming, lol they are so much more than just the metal label slapped on them.

there's rock in there......blues prog, folk, pop, ballads.

and my new favorite rhythm section.

Mick

I don’t disagree with that metal label, but it was the 70s and they were the progenitors of the genre. Playing with other styles and experimenting trying to fuse it all together was never not going to happen, lol. Awesome!

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

It looks like the setup for your venue is similar to the one in Rochester with the general admission floor and balconies on the either side. Hopefully it's not in a crap part of town like the one in Rochester is. But it's Rochester so it's hard to avoid the crappy part of town anyway. The other band on the bill, Hatebreed, is well known for having a non stop pit during their shows. A good portion of these fans will probably be a little older so moshing might not really be too bad. It's not something people in their 40s and 50s will do. We can die in a pit at that age 😆

Is Hatebreed good?