The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

Okay, here we go........................Always love when a song is counted out at the beginning - who is that anyway? I don't recognize the voice.

Right from the beginning, those same notes (would it be rhythm?) Alex plays over and over (during the chorus) throughout the song - don't know what it is about them but whatever it is, it does something to me.

And when Geddy sings the last lyrics, I love the way he does it.

I'm pretty sure it's Neil doing the counting at the beginning. Usually that's something the drummer does in most bands.

Alex is great throughout the whole album. Counterparts was their new album when I got into them, so I have a lot of fond memories attached to it.

• Like 1

Not gonna read all this thread, but I want to gush about an album I happen to think is awesome:

Test For Echo!

It is their most silly and irreverent album since Fly By Night. It's straightforward, heavy and goofy!

• Like 5

Okay, here we go........................Always love when a song is counted out at the beginning - who is that anyway? I don't recognize the voice.

Right from the beginning, those same notes (would it be rhythm?) Alex plays over and over (during the chorus) throughout the song - don't know what it is about them but whatever it is, it does something to me.

And when Geddy sings the last lyrics, I love the way he does it.

I'm pretty sure it's Neil doing the counting at the beginning. Usually that's something the drummer does in most bands.

Alex is great throughout the whole album. Counterparts was their new album when I got into them, so I have a lot of fond memories attached to it.

Yes it's definitely Neil doing the counting.

• Like 1

Not gonna read all this thread, but I want to gush about an album I happen to think is awesome:

Test For Echo!

It is their most silly and irreverent album since Fly By Night. It's straightforward, heavy and goofy!

You should take the time and read this thread. It's one of the most upbeat ones that we've had in a long time.

I like TFE too. It's the last decently produced album they put out too.

• Like 1

I just listened to the Newark & New York City shows from 27 & 29th June 2015.

I was struck when I recalled just how great those two shows were.

I remember thinking during the show, "well, if this is it, it is an amazing send off".

Just amazing!

• Like 6

I remember thinking during the show, "well, if this is it, it is an amazing send off".

Just amazing!

I just finished listening to the Barstow, Virginia show that was one year ago today. Doesn't seem that long ago already, does it? :(

Dr. ReGor, that's a good word to describe the show - amazing!!!

The audience there was alive. They sang along with Geddy on many songs. But when they sang along with him on Xanadu, I wanted to cry. It really was so very touching. Then, they kept clapping. Not sure if they were giving themselves a hand after they all belted out a verse or were just happy clapping away! :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Just amazing!

Yeah! I was at the Newark show, and I couldn't believe how well they played that night. Geddy's voice was the best I've ever heard it live in person, and I actually knew all the words to all the songs in the set! The crowd was nuts, too. Everyone was standing and singing to every song (myself included). My dad wasn't feeling too well that night, but I sure was! And to top it off, THEY PLAYED F***ING XANADU!

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Understanding what would eventually happen going in I enjoyed this kind of tour (retrospective) a lot more than I would have normally. (And witnessing Losing It was just the icing on the cake.)

The cracks were beginning to show, but I celebrated the moment a lot more than usual. Sweet Memories.

• Like 2

Latest gush?

La Villa.

Yes, no vocals, but it's an instrumental tour de force, chock full of Rushy-ness.

Love, love, love it.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-play-la-villa-strangiato-1.png

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 6

This is my kind of thread!

I was going to come in here and Gush Over Rush, but I watched that La Villa video and now I'm too busy grinning :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://youtu.be/wLShcmu-ZIY

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: That's the one. Did you like it? :)

I just rewatched that on a crappy Mondayish morning, and wow. That has to be the all-time Rushiest video ever! :D :rfl:

• Like 2

In a 90's era Rush mood rn. Made myself a playlist of stuff from 89-96 and now listening to it. Good memories of last summer with a lot of this stuff (even though it's my least fav Rush era).

RTB title track is on now. Why do people hate this?

• Like 3

Nobody's Hero

What a song. The first verses are clunky, sure, but everything else is perfect and beautiful and nearly tear jerking. Wow. Better than The Pass for sure.

Loving this thread!

I was listening to Counterparts this morning and singing to Animate, which I can not resist doing, ever. I have loved this album from the first listen. I love hearing Alex again way up front. :D

I love that song. I like Alien Shore too, and The Speed of Love ( :ph34r: ).

To me though, there's something sad about the melody of that song (Animate). I don't think "sad" is the right word - melancholic? Wistful might be a better word.

To me, the song speaks of yearning, both for connection with another person and for knowledge of the big picture of being human, and of a bittersweet acknowledgement that those things will always be sought but will be attained only in occasional fleeting bursts.

• Like 4

Just amazing!

I just finished listening to the Barstow, Virginia show that was one year ago today. Doesn't seem that long ago already, does it? :(

Dr. ReGor, that's a good word to describe the show - amazing!!!

The audience there was alive. They sang along with Geddy on many songs. But when they sang along with him on Xanadu, I wanted to cry. It really was so very touching. Then, they kept clapping. Not sure if they were giving themselves a hand after they all belted out a verse or were just happy clapping away! :)

I enjoy reliving shows I was at by your comments since you got the HD Vine! I recall you mentioning the crowd singing at msg in April 2011 at the time machine tour, but that show I was too close to hear the crowd, or had too much to drink!

For R 40 Bristow, I luckily bought tix in a last minute TM ticket drop (seats were long sold out) and literally had to Rush to drive the five hours to get there! Can't believe it was a year and a day ago!

And I do recall the crowd singing loudly during Xanadu, thinking at the time THIS is how it's done in Virginia!!

• Like 1

Anyone gushed on Ghost Of A Chance yet?

So well put together. And did Geddy's voice ever sound this good any time thereafter?

I don't think anyone has brought the song up yet, and I agree with you. It is a very beautiful and a real gem of a song. Alex's whaling guitar just kind of gets me and pierces my own heart.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Ghost Of A Chance is a beautiful song. It got some good radio play when it was released as a single. One of their "forgotten" hits. I didn't see them on the second leg of the S&A tour but thought it was great that they brought the song back for a bit. The song certainly deserved one more opportunity to shine in the live set.
  • Like 4

Ghost Of A Chance is a beautiful song. It got some good radio play when it was released as a single. One of their "forgotten" hits. I didn't see them on the second leg of the S&A tour but thought it was great that they brought the song back for a bit. The song certainly deserved one more opportunity to shine in the live set.

One of the best songs from RTBs. That section where Geddy sings "in a state of grace" never fails to give me the chills.

• Like 1

Speaking of chances, I won't have much of a chance to gush about Rush today. Comcast is coming and threatens to be here between 10:00 and 12:00 this A.M. They are further threatening to take between two to four hours to hook up.

We shall see if they succeed. :)

• Like 1

Speaking of chances, I won't have much of a chance to gush about Rush today. Comcast is coming and threatens to be here between 10:00 and 12:00 this A.M. They are further threatening to take between two to four hours to hook up.

Wow that's a long time to get you connected. Shouldn't take any more than an hour even with them running lines.

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about Comcast. Most of my experience has been with Time Warner Cable who get in and out quickly and do a great job. Hopefully you get some decent installers.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Wow that's a long time to get you connected. Shouldn't take any more than an hour even with them running lines.

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about Comcast. Most of my experience has been with Time Warner Cable who get in and out quickly and do a great job. Hopefully you get some decent installers.

I've been hoping for someone who really knows what he's doing and not a novice. Believe me when I say this place will be a challenge.

But I really am at a loss at to what takes so many hours.

I've been hoping for someone who really knows what he's doing and not a novice. Believe me when I say this place will be a challenge.

Do your neighbors all have cable? It should be just a matter of running a line for the Internet into the house. Only thing that takes any time is figuring out where they come in the house with the wire.

• Like 1

Do your neighbors all have cable? It should be just a matter of running a line for the Internet into the house. Only thing that takes any time is figuring out where they come in the house with the wire.

Yes, they all do. Except us.

They had to call in for more help, so now I've got two Comcast trucks here, and the dogs in the neighborhood are in an uproar. :LOL:

• Like 3

I couldn't get Treeduck's video to work (said it was restricted and had to watch it on youtube) so I did the next best thing and I will post it here for posterity.

The very first video Lorraine watched with her high speed was Geddy Lee and his Celebrity Winter Advice. :wub:

• Like 5