The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

It's funny what a day-brightener it can be to encounter another Rush fan. Today I'm wearing a Rush shirt, and I got a big smile and a "Like your shirt!" from the guy who came to read the gas meter. I said "Oh, thank you!" and gave him a thumbs-up and a big smile of my own. A small thing, yes, but nice! :rush:

I've had days like that...love those types of encounters.

If I wear a Rush shirt to a concert, I usually get at least one person to comment on it. One time someone offered to buy me a beer just because I had a Rush shirt on.

I've gotten a number of random comments from people when out at the store or whatever through the years when I was wearing a Rush shirt. They've always been pretty popular in the Buffalo, NY area. Being so close to Toronto probably has something to do with it.

I wear my many Rush shirts all the time in the summer, so I get comments on occasion. One recently from a younger hipster type guy in his 20's who was questioning if I was a Limbaugh fan. :facepalm:

It's funny what a day-brightener it can be to encounter another Rush fan. Today I'm wearing a Rush shirt, and I got a big smile and a "Like your shirt!" from the guy who came to read the gas meter. I said "Oh, thank you!" and gave him a thumbs-up and a big smile of my own. A small thing, yes, but nice! :rush:

If I wear a Rush shirt to a concert, I usually get at least one person to comment on it. One time someone offered to buy me a beer just because I had a Rush shirt on.

I've gotten a number of random comments from people when out at the store or whatever through the years when I was wearing a Rush shirt. They've always been pretty popular in the Buffalo, NY area. Being so close to Toronto probably has something to do with it.

I wear my many Rush shirts all the time in the summer, so I get comments on occasion. One recently from a younger hipster type guy in his 20's who was questioning if I was a Limbaugh fan. :facepalm:

Sounds like my area. That's why I don't like to wear a t-shirt that says simply Rush.

When I saw them on the Clockwork Angels tour I needed to request the night off of work. When my boss heard what I was doing that night, he thought that I was going to see Rush Limbaugh speak somewhere at first. A couple co-workers who weren't even going to the show and myself had to correct him.

"No, not Limbaugh. Rush the rock band. You've never heard of f***in Rush, man?!" :LOL:

I said something along the lines of that.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I was looking for an old post, and I came across a thread I made in an excess of enthusiasm during my first months as a Rush fan that was much in the spirit of this thread. It certainly has a hyperbolic title! :LOL: :D

http://www.therushfo...ove-about-rush/

• Like 2

I was looking for an old post, and I came across a thread I made in an excess of enthusiasm during my first months as a Rush fan that was much in the spirit of this thread. It certainly has a hyperbolic title! :LOL: :D

http://www.therushfo...ove-about-rush/

That's a good thread, Why don't you resurrect it so we can finish it up? :)

Your #1 reason is why I took another look at Rush four years ago. And I remember, after I got Rush In Rio and after watching the documentary, coming back here and asking everyone "Is that what they're REALLY like???" I was so impressed with them and how natural they were, and I loved their sense of humor.

• Like 1

This audio bootleg is so endearing, I had to include it in my gush thread too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvY-IzDmcCY&feature=player_detailpage

Towards the last two minutes of the song, Alex's guitar string breaks and then Geddy forgets the lyrics and drops the TRF censored word. :LOL: :cool:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Sounds like my area. That's why I don't like to wear a t-shirt that says simply Rush.

That's the odd thing. It was a Moving Pictures retro tee with the album artwork. :LOL: Such an iconic album cover.

• Like 1

This audio bootleg is so endearing, I had to include it in my gush thread too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvY-IzDmcCY&feature=player_detailpage

Towards the last two minutes of the song, Alex's guitar string breaks and then Geddy forgets the lyrics and drops the TRF censored word. :LOL: :cool:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Great stuff! Sounds amazing. :ebert:

• Like 1

Isn't it great? You ought to listen to the whole concert bootleg. I think it's one of their best from that tour. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

If you like The Weapon, you'll love the on on this. :)

• Like 1

Isn't it great? You ought to listen to the whole concert bootleg. I think it's one of their best from that tour. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gHYALx-oBd4

If you like The Weapon, you'll love the on on this. :)

Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a full listen this weekend. This is probably my favorite "era" for Rush boots. :D

• Like 1

Lorraine, take my 10,000th post in your great thread

There's so much to gush about with Rush, and there isn't a better avenue than here

It's been really fun, and I've met some downright fantastic people here :)

:cheers:

• Like 4

Rush are one of those bands where I find myself thinking I am bored with them, but after weeks of not playing anything I pick one album and then somehow end up playing ALL OF THEM.
  • Like 3

Rush are one of those bands where I find myself thinking I am bored with them, but after weeks of not playing anything I pick one album and then somehow end up playing ALL OF THEM.

I have never once been bored with Rush. If they were the only band I was allowed to listen to for the rest of my life, I would be perfectly fine with that.

• Like 1

I have never once been bored with Rush. If they were the only band I was allowed to listen to for the rest of my life, I would be perfectly fine with that.

This is why I don't believe I ever really get bored...I think I am until I start playing them again!

I feel a Rush album marathon coming on ...

Lorraine, take my 10,000th post in your great thread

There's so much to gush about with Rush, and there isn't a better avenue than here

It's been really fun, and I've met some downright fantastic people here :)

:cheers:

i consider it an honor that you chose a thread I began in which to post your 10,000th post! :hug2:

More than anything, it is the members that keep us here. Who would have ever thought Rush would have such stellar human beings as fans? :) :angel:

• Like 3

In honor of CA's birthday:

I loved the the graphics they did in concert much more than the actual song. Gorgeous.

• Like 2

My wife cannot listen to this song, and this is her favorite Rush album. It holds strong memories for us both, but I have managed to overcome them in order to appreciate this track. For her, it is a song she cannot bear to hear. Around the time that the album came out, my step dad passed away. And so for some time we associated this song with his passing and neither of us would listen to it.

As the next couple of years went by, I was able to listen again, although I only did so sporadically, and never around her, as she would start crying every time it came on. Of course, we heard the song when we saw the band on the CA Tour, and she was able to keep it together at the shows.

Then in December her father had a heart attack and died. Four months later, her mother passed away from the effects of dementia. Now more than ever this song - even if she will not listen to it - stands as a permanent reminder of their passing. She said that she doesn't know if she will ever be able to listen to it. And she considers it one of their best songs. When we listen to CA, we stop after Headlong Flight. She won't go beyond that, although from time to time she will spin Wish Them Well.

Now, even though the song doesn't affect me in the same way it does her, I rarely listen anymore, because now I associate it with her grief.

• Like 1

My wife cannot listen to this song, and this is her favorite Rush album. It holds strong memories for us both, but I have managed to overcome them in order to appreciate this track. For her, it is a song she cannot bear to hear. Around the time that the album came out, my step dad passed away. And so for some time we associated this song with his passing and neither of us would listen to it.

As the next couple of years went by, I was able to listen again, although I only did so sporadically, and never around her, as she would start crying every time it came on. Of course, we heard the song when we saw the band on the CA Tour, and she was able to keep it together at the shows.

Then in December her father had a heart attack and died. Four months later, her mother passed away from the effects of dementia. Now more than ever this song - even if she will not listen to it - stands as a permanent reminder of their passing. She said that she doesn't know if she will ever be able to listen to it. And she considers it one of their best songs. When we listen to CA, we stop after Headlong Flight. She won't go beyond that, although from time to time she will spin Wish Them Well.

Now, even though the song doesn't affect me in the same way it does her, I rarely listen anymore, because now I associate it with her grief.

In time, she will be able to listen to it. If she never does, she will never heal correctly.

The same thing happened to me in 1971/72. It took me eight years to be able to listen to Seventh Sojourn and Harvest - both albums reminded me of the sudden death of both my father and grandfather within three months of each other. I thought I had healed, but it wasn't a total healing. The wound had to be ripped opened again for it to be healed properly.

I feel for your wife very deeply. Emotional pain and wounds are the worst. A huge hug for her. :hug2:

As for The Garden, there's something about that song that not even I can get through it without choking up, especially towards the end, when Geddy sings out for the last time "a garden to nurture and protect." The way he sings that line for the last time chokes me up bad, and then the music that follows does me in.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

In time, she will be able to listen to it. If she never does, she will never heal correctly.

The same thing happened to me in 1971/72. It took me eight years to be able to listen to Seventh Sojourn and Harvest - both albums reminded me of the sudden death of both my father and grandfather within three months of each other. I thought I had healed, but it wasn't a total healing. The wound had to be ripped opened again for it to be healed properly.

I feel for your wife very deeply. Emotional pain and wounds are the worst. A huge hug for her. :hug2:

As for The Garden, there's something about that song that not even I can get through it without choking up, especially towards the end, when Geddy sings out for the last time "a garden to nurture and protect." The way he sings that line for the last time chokes me up bad, and then the music that follows does me in.

Thanks Lorraine and you are right, she will in time be able to enjoy it. And I will pass along that hug. :)

• Like 1