The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I never pay attention to the pinned threads. So, I would prefer this to stay a regular thread otherwise I will miss it when scrolling through.

Yeah, me neither. They're billboards that are always there that I always ignore.

That sounds like your problem not the forums. ;)

Geddy Lee is truly a genius among bass players.

You know, when I was watching that man play his bass in Hemispheres and Digital Man, I thought how easy Geddy makes it look compared to this man who isn't as - what's a good word - fluent(?). Plus, Geddy's singing too. My husband claims that it isn't easy to do both - play and sing. I, of course, wouldn't know. :)

• Like 2

I never pay attention to the pinned threads. So, I would prefer this to stay a regular thread otherwise I will miss it when scrolling through.

Yeah, me neither. They're billboards that are always there that I always ignore.

Signs, signs, everywhere signs! :LOL:

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 5

I'm gonna gush over Vapor Trails. I love this album's raw emotion. The emotion is what makes it so good to me. You can tell they were going through a difficult time while making it. I also love how HEAVY it is. Probably Rush's most metal album. I know that a lot of people dislike it but I grew up listening to Vapor Trails in the car and have always loved it. Top 10 Rush album for me, maybe even top 5.

I love it as well. I loved it even before I knew the history behind it. I agree with all that you have said about it. Great, Great Album!!! :finbar:

• Like 1

I'm gonna gush over Vapor Trails. I love this album's raw emotion. The emotion is what makes it so good to me. You can tell they were going through a difficult time while making it. I also love how HEAVY it is. Probably Rush's most metal album. I know that a lot of people dislike it but I grew up listening to Vapor Trails in the car and have always loved it. Top 10 Rush album for me, maybe even top 5.

Anyone who gushes over VT automatically becomes my wife's new friend, it is one of her faves as well. :haz: I like it a lot as well, for all the reasons you mentioned (except growing up on it, I am much older than that!) But she adores that album.

LOL!! I just commented on that post!!!

• Like 1

Geddy Lee is truly a genius among bass players.

You know, when I was watching that man play his bass in Hemispheres and Digital Man, I thought how easy Geddy makes it look compared to this man who isn't as - what's a good word - fluent(?). Plus, Geddy's singing too. My husband claims that it isn't easy to do both - play and sing. I, of course, wouldn't know. :)

As a bass player / sometimes singer who doesn't even have the smallest fraction of Lee's abilities, I can concur. There are some songs I can't sing through for fear of losing my place. However, over time when I've played a song enough time and it becomes locked in, I may start stepping up to the mic to sing background parts I've never tried before.

I think Circumstances is a good example of a song in which Lee is playing some tricky stuff while singing.

• Like 1

Anyone who gushes over VT automatically becomes my wife's new friend, it is one of her faves as well. :haz: I like it a lot as well, for all the reasons you mentioned (except growing up on it, I am much older than that!) But she adores that album.

LOL!! I just commented on that post!!!

Figured you would! :LOL:

• Like 1

Some people can only concentrate on doing one thing at a time. Some are multi-taskers and can do several things at once really well. That's Geddy, a great multi-tasker and a very detail oriented person.

He's like that with his baseball as well. Sometimes you can see him on camera if he's at a Toronto Blue Jays game. It just looks like he's studying everything while he's watching. Also, after every play you'll see him look down and he appears to be writing something. He keeps track of every play with a scorecard.

Even when he's out having fun, Geddy is very meticulous with whatever he's doing :cool:

• Like 2

Some people can only concentrate on doing one thing at a time. Some are multi-taskers and can do several things at once really well. That's Geddy, a great multi-tasker and a very detail oriented person.

He's like that with his baseball as well. Sometimes you can see him on camera if he's at a Toronto Blue Jays game. It just looks like he's studying everything while he's watching. Also, after every play you'll see him look down and he appears to be writing something. He keeps track of every play with a scorecard.

Even when he's out having fun, Geddy is very meticulous with whatever he's doing :cool:

I think I remember reading once that he said that he has to practice a new song a zillion times until he gets to the point he can play it in his sleep, and only then does he attempt to try and sing over it. It makes sense though. Then the playing part becomes second nature.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Here's a bass question. Why does Geddy favor the top two strings?

Bass strings are tuned with the top string being the thickest and the lowest tone up to the highest thinnest string being on the bottom. Same with guitar. A lot of what a bassist does it lay down the bottom end (low notes) in a song. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Low frequencies are cool. They get right into your bones. Plus, playing a riff an octave lower than the same riff on a guitar just makes the thing sound huge. I think I read something recently about Lee talking about What You're Doing - he said something along the same lines.

On albums like Hold your Fire and later albums, though, you hear Lee playing a lot of bass riffs higher up in the register - bass chord stuff like the beginning of Turn the Page.

That sounds like your problem not the forums. ;)

It's not a problem. But my first comment that isn't quoted fits no matter how anyone feels about pinned threads

Ooooh, Geddy's voice on the December, 1976 bootleg from the theater in Passaic, New Jersey. I think the bootleg is called Out Of Hiding. It's just an excellent performance. I was running errands and saw a friend who told me an elderly family member of his is not long for this world; then I got in the car and the poignancy of Lakeside Park and the way Geddy sang the whole song back then really hit me, just brought me to tears. :heart: :heart: that voice that day. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Totally agree. He sounds AMAZING there, quite possibly his best concert EVER!

Here's another great one! Only 5 songs, but he sounds awesome on all of them!

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 4

I say his absolute best vocals were from 1976-1978. Before then, he had lots of power, but his voice was EXTREMELY uncontrolled, and sounded more like he was screaming rather than singing. 76-78, he had all of his power, but was much more controlled, and used lower/mid range more. Edited by Eel Yddeg

2112. The number is quite interesting and the songs says it all.

The song is incredibly well played. The idea of rebelling against oppression is still worth nowadays.

How can an album made in 1976 be so present and necessary on this ideas, right now in 2016?

It seems things didn't change much since then. :huh:

Discovery is a beautiful part. I love when the guy finds the guitar and try to be happy again when the system took all his dreams away. I just thought it could keep going because suicide isn't the reply.

Although, the guy in the history has a lot to deal with.

Very emotional Geddy vocals. Impressive guitar solos from Alex. Excellent drumming from Neil.

Even if there was only this song on the disc, it would be enough.

Congratulations :rush: :clap:

• Like 4

Totally agree. He sounds AMAZING there, quite possibly his best concert EVER!

Here's another great one! Only 5 songs, but he sounds awesome on all of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHqpmqMDZx0

Thank you for putting this up! I do love to gush about Geddy's voice during this time. Another short concert that is excellent is a bootleg called Vancouver Circumstances, from 11-4-78. Rush didn't play a long set that night but Geddy's voice is very awesome that night.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1