The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I love this song! I find it to be really quite motivating to listen to. This version is my personal favourite -

http://youtu.be/9em3ff7hxw8

OH YES! I never really had given Marathon a good listen until I heard it on Time Machine and then I absolutely fell in love with it :heart: :D :wub:

The Time Machine version of Marathon is storming and wonderful. It's incredible with that 21st Century big heavy Rush-juggernaut live sound. I discovered Marathon at the Pittsburgh show on that tour, when I was in the 2nd row watching Geddy have an absolute blast playing it. He was really into it that night! I remember his joyful face as he played and sang the last chorus coming out of the solo. it sounds to me like he was having the same kind of a vibe with it on the night they made the Time Machine recording.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 4

I have to gush about all the comfort I've been finding lately in Rush's music. I've been doing a lot of deep and not always cheerful thinking about my life. Listening to Rush is my way of taking breaks from that. It works for dissipating anxiety as a soundtrack to walks, and just as well for consciously relaxing by lying back, closing my eyes and letting the sounds wash over me. I love the way each time I listen to a Rush song I can listen a different way. I can focus on separate elements of the music, or on the interplay among the instruments, or the energy of the song as a whole. There's so much to listen to in each song that I don't think I'll ever stop being fascinated.

:rush:

• Like 6

I love this song! I find it to be really quite motivating to listen to. This version is my personal favourite -

OH YES! I never really had given Marathon a good listen until I heard it on Time Machine and then I absolutely fell in love with it :heart: :D :wub:

The Time Machine version of Marathon is storming and wonderful. It's incredible with that 21st Century big heavy Rush-juggernaut live sound. I discovered Marathon at the Pittsburgh show on that tour, when I was in the 2nd row watching Geddy have an absolute blast playing it. He was really into it that night! I remember his joyful face as he played and sang the last chorus coming out of the solo. it sounds to me like he was having the same kind of a vibe with it on the night they made the Time Machine recording.

Wow that's cool. I was at that same concert in the third row in front of Neil.

That was such a great gig!

One of my favourite parts was during Leave That Thing Alone when my section started chanting "GED-DY! GED-DY! GED-DY! GED-DY!" Do you remember that at all? If you were in the 3rd row in front of Neil, you must have been fairly near to where I was, because I was in the first seat on the inside edge of Geddy's section. :D Ahh, good times. The Camera Eye was transcendent that night as well.

I love :rush:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I have to gush about all the comfort I've been finding lately in Rush's music. I've been doing a lot of deep and not always cheerful thinking about my life. Listening to Rush is my way of taking breaks from that. It works for dissipating anxiety as a soundtrack to walks, and just as well for consciously relaxing by lying back, closing my eyes and letting the sounds wash over me. I love the way each time I listen to a Rush song I can listen a different way. I can focus on separate elements of the music, or on the interplay among the instruments, or the energy of the song as a whole. There's so much to listen to in each song that I don't think I'll ever stop being fascinated.

:rush:

I do too - listen to the songs in a different way and hear different things that always surprise me that I never heard before. That's why I love the bootlegs so much. I've caught things in songs I never would have caught if I only heard the album versions.

• Like 2

That was such a great gig!

One of my favourite parts was during Leave That Thing Alone when my section started chanting "GED-DY! GED-DY! GED-DY! GED-DY!" Do you remember that at all? If you were in the 3rd row in front of Neil, you must have been fairly near to where I was, because I was in the first seat on the inside edge of Geddy's section. :D Ahh, good times. The Camera Eye was transcendent that night as well.

I love :rush:

Oh right! I'd forgotten about that. I went to quite a few shows that tour so hard to remember what happened at particular ones.

Today is a good day to gush over Rush for me! Today is nine years since the gig that changed my life. I'll never forget standing way up there on the lawn clapping along with my hands over my head feeling like I knew what it meant to truly be glad to be alive. It was a million years ago in camera technology years, so the audience videos weren't as good in those days, but here's someone's video of right around the moment during the gig that I realised I had fallen madly in love:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bqGJkDQ9dU

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 2

I can remember the moment when it occurred to me that I really, really like this band as well. I did like some of their stuff before this song at the gig but this was definitely my "moment" -

I thought I could remember Alex nailing the solo and looking really goofy about it straight afterwards as well, and this confirms it!

• Like 2

Today is a good day to gush over Rush for me! Today is nine years since the gig that changed my life. I'll never forget standing way up there on the lawn clapping along with my hands over my head feeling like I knew what it meant to truly be glad to be alive. It was a million years ago in camera technology years, so the audience videos weren't as good in those days, but here's someone's video of right around the moment during the gig that I realised I had fallen madly in love:

GM, that made my eyes tear up.

• Like 1

It's amazing what music can do, isn't it? It had been an incredibly hard year, and I was very depressed at the time. I went to the gig just for something to do, and had no idea that it would be anything but a minor distraction. I never could have dreamed that a Rush gig would make me rediscover my will to live.

I know that sounds really over-the-top, but it's 100% true.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 5

I know it's true because you said it before on here a few years ago and I never forgot you saying that. It is wonderful that they did that for you. I really mean that.

There's no greater feeling that feeling alive again after being so down or depressed for so long.

• Like 1

I know it's true because you said it before on here a few years ago and I never forgot you saying that. It is wonderful that they did that for you. I really mean that.

There's no greater feeling that feeling alive again after being so down or depressed for so long.

They've made me feel that way many times since!

I'm going to stop myself from excessive gushing, and instead post an awesome YouTuber's video of The Garden from my front-row show:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

It's amazing what music can do, isn't it? It had been an incredibly hard year, and I was very depressed at the time. I went to the gig just for something to do, and had no idea that it would be anything but a minor distraction. I never could have dreamed that a Rush gig would make me rediscover my will to live.

I know that sounds really over-the-top, but it's 100% true.

:hug2:

This evening I'm gushing over this version of Mission from the Presto tour -

Two things, oh my god you can actually hear Alex singing and it actually sounds quite good, and, I predict Geddy will tie his hair back like that if they were to tour again. You heard it here first.

Watching the Snakes And Arrows Live video. It's just wonderful. Brings me right back to those glorious early days of new love. I'm blown away by how passionate and fierce these performances are.

No wonder I was swept away at that gig! Rush is like a force of nature.

• Like 2

I love this song:

I have this idea that the "Oh, salvation!" part reflects how Geddy was feeling about being in Rush again when he recorded it.