The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I think I'll gush over Rush fans .. I mean, look at the diversity and the personalities here on this forum - and the dedication to not only Rush, but to the art of music overall ..

Yes, it is a testament to Rush and their great music, as that is what draws the fans, but I'm not sure you're going to find a more interesting, open minded and intelligent ( for the most part ) group of fans anywhere ..

Hahaha, interesting and intelligent, yes; open minded I'm not so sure about. ;)

However, I've often said on here, and I do mean it, the quality of the fans Rush has says more about the band than their music. :)

Yay for Rush fans!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

• Like 5

I think I'll gush over Rush fans .. I mean, look at the diversity and the personalities here on this forum - and the dedication to not only Rush, but to the art of music overall ..

Yes, it is a testament to Rush and their great music, as that is what draws the fans, but I'm not sure you're going to find a more interesting, open minded and intelligent ( for the most part ) group of fans anywhere ..

However, I've often said on here, and I do mean it, the quality of the fans Rush has says more about the band than their music. :)

Yay for Rush fans!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

We tend to see a LOT of negativity on this forum from fans compared to other sites. Not sure why that is, but for the most part I agree when the subject stays off of Neil, there are some cool people here.

• Like 1

Loving this thread!

I was listening to Counterparts this morning and singing to Animate, which I can not resist doing, ever. I have loved this album from the first listen. I love hearing Alex again way up front. :D

• Like 4

Loving this thread!

I was listening to Counterparts this morning and singing to Animate, which I can not resist doing, ever. I have loved this album from the first listen. I love hearing Alex again way up front. :D

I love that song. I like Alien Shore too, and The Speed of Love ( :ph34r: ).

To me though, there's something sad about the melody of that song (Animate). I don't think "sad" is the right word - melancholic? Wistful might be a better word.

• Like 2

Loving this thread!

To me though, there's something sad about the melody of that song (Animate). I don't think "sad" is the right word - melancholic? Wistful might be a better word.

Hm, I never got that from it myself. To me it's a rocker. I really like Between the Sun and the Moon too.

Loving this thread!

It's funny but I never really paid much attention to the lyrics of the song and what they were about for a long time. It's pretty clever. :)

Loving this thread!

It's funny but I never really paid much attention to the lyrics of the song and what they were about for a long time. It's pretty clever. :)

I have to pay attention to them sometime instead of mindlessly singing along. :LOL:

• Like 1

Loving this thread!

Lorraine, "restrained" (as compared to ebullient) is how I would describe the melody, and "challenging" is the word I would use for Animate's lyrics. Perhaps "daunting." So many different spirits moving us. How do I balance them all to be the best dad/husband/son/employee/neighbor that I can be? One of my top 10 Rush songs. I go bonkers when the drums start up. Every time.

I gushed yesterday when I went to X-Men: Apocalypse. Not only did the character Quicksilver sport a Moving Pictures tee

SPOILER ALERT

he also wore a cast for his broken leg with "I love Rush" penned thereon. :D

Edited by MusicHead
  • Like 2

We're all beautiful and wise Rush fans!! :haz: :rush: :cheers:

:LOL:

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 3

I'm gushing right now at YYZ, The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, The Analog Kid, The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It and Countdown. I love these songs no matter what!!!

I love songs that belong to Moving Pictures and Signals that aren't listed here too. :yes

I was a kid when our beloved :rush: released these records, but fine. I love them since 1996. :drool:

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 4

I'm gushing right now at YYZ, The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, The Analog Kid, The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It and Countdown. I love these songs no matter what!!!

I love songs that belong to Moving Pictures and Signals that aren't listed here too. :yes:

I was a kid when our beloved :rush: released these records, but fine. I love them since 1996. :drool:

That's some quality gushing :cheers:

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

I anticipate my own Rush gushing later ♫♫

• Like 1

I feel compelled to gush over Presto's title track. Very rarely is a love song both happy and non-standard in that; I mean, Rush wouldn't write a conventional love song in general, ever, but it seems very light, optimistic and very unique. I love the chorus. Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 6

I feel compelled to gush over Presto's title track. Very rarely is a love song both happy and non-standard in that; I mean, Rush wouldn't write a conventional love song in general, ever, but it seems very light, optimistic and very unique. I love the chorus.

I think it's a great song as well. But I never thought it was a love song. I honestly don't have any clue what it's about.

Loved that they finally decided to play it on the Time Machine tour. Not sure why it didn't make the cut when they toured for the album.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I feel compelled to gush over Presto's title track. Very rarely is a love song both happy and non-standard in that; I mean, Rush wouldn't write a conventional love song in general, ever, but it seems very light, optimistic and very unique. I love the chorus.

I think it's a great song as well. But I never thought it was a love song. I honestly don't have any clue what it's about.

Loved that they finally decided to play it on the Time Machine tour. Not sure why it didn't make the cut when they toured for the album.

So

They could play the 3 worst songs on the album instead.

I think it's a love song. I don't think it's a love song directed specifically towards a lover (there are some hints towards it being so, though), but definitely somebody who the speaker loves.

This hints towards the song being inclusive of somebody who the speaker cares about:

The evening plane rises up from the runway

Over constellations of light

I look down into a million houses

And wonder what you're doing tonight

Imo it's Neil talking about being on tour and missing his family

and then there's a more focused statement of love here:

I had a dream of a winter garden

A midnight rendezvous

Silver, blue and frozen silence

What a fool I was for you

I don't know. Most of it is kinda vague but I think it's a love song in which the speaker thinks about their own emotional state with plenty of cute metaphors and etc

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 4

I think it's a love song. I don't think it's a love song directed specifically towards a lover (there are some hints towards it being so, though), but definitely somebody who the speaker loves.

This hints towards the song being inclusive of somebody who the speaker cares about:

The evening plane rises up from the runway

Over constellations of light

I look down into a million houses

And wonder what you're doing tonight

Imo it's Neil talking about being on tour and missing his family

and then there's a more focused statement of love here:

I had a dream of a winter garden

A midnight rendezvous

Silver, blue and frozen silence

What a fool I was for you

I don't know. Most of it is kinda vague but I think it's a love song in which the speaker thinks about their own emotional state with plenty of cute metaphors and etc

Those two lyrical parts do hint at it possible being about love. So it may very well be. But i've always thought the song was vague on the actual meaning. Which is one of the reasons I like it so much. The lyrics really have no set meaning but creates great imagery that allows the listen to interpret it whatever way they see fit.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Loving this thread!

Lorraine, "restrained" (as compared to ebullient) is how I would describe the melody, and "challenging" is the word I would use for Animate's lyrics. Perhaps "daunting." So many different spirits moving us. How do I balance them all to be the best dad/husband/son/employee/neighbor that I can be? One of my top 10 Rush songs. I go bonkers when the drums start up. Every time.

But, you are not hearing it as I hear it and, how could you or anyone else simply because you are not me? :) There are parts of it when Alex and his guitar have almost (that's important - "almost") the same affect on me as his guitar does in the Hemispheres prelude.

Certain notes strung together do that to me. I don't know why. Nor do I know the notes so I can tell you.

I will listen to it and point out the parts so if anyone wants to they can hear for themselves the parts of the song I am referring to.

It should be a given that I don't expect anyone else to agree with me. I was simply relating my own personal Rush song experience.

Okay, here we go........................Always love when a song is counted out at the beginning - who is that anyway? I don't recognize the voice.

Right from the beginning, those same notes (would it be rhythm?) Alex plays over and over (during the chorus) throughout the song - don't know what it is about them but whatever it is, it does something to me.

And when Geddy sings the last lyrics, I love the way he does it.

• Like 1