The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I don't think Rush has ever recorded a bad album. They've recorded bad songs but never a full album. Even on the albums that are not as strong, like Roll The Bones, there's still a handful of really good songs worth listening to.

Agreed, although to me Snakes is close. I like about 5 songs on that album, which is still almost half. Same with RtB.

But we are here to gush so... How about that awesome 2X4 over a chair-playing Neil does on "YYZ"? Always struck me as a cool feature of the track. Sounds almost like a crack from a bullwhip.

I probably know what you're talking about since i've heard the song enough. But you'll need to explain the whole "2X4 over a chair" thing for me to know for sure.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I don't think Rush has ever recorded a bad album. They've recorded bad songs but never a full album. Even on the albums that are not as strong, like Roll The Bones, there's still a handful of really good songs worth listening to.

Agreed, although to me Snakes is close. I like about 5 songs on that album, which is still almost half. Same with RtB.

But we are here to gush so... How about that awesome 2X4 over a chair-playing Neil does on "YYZ"? Always struck me as a cool feature of the track. Sounds almost like a crack from a bullwhip.

I probably know what you're talking about since i've heard the song enough. But you'll need to explain the whole "2X4 over a chair" thing for me to know for sure.

I once read that the loud snapping whip sound you hear accenting Al's solo was Neil smashing a 2X4 over a chair. In concerts he just plays his little cymbal to accentuate that spot. Listen from about 2:25 in the song.

• Like 1

I once read that the loud snapping whip sound you hear accenting Al's solo was Neil smashing a 2X4 over a chair. In concerts he just plays his little cymbal to accentuate that spot. Listen from about 2:25 in the song.

Oh, i've never heard that story before.

• Like 1

Live. The way that Lerxst would 'mess up' on purpose, Bending strings the wrong way, etc. Playing a minor chord when it should be a major... Like a controlled trainwreck. You know it's on purpose because he'll play a few chords or bars like that, perfectly in time and consistently.

I love the timing of those hits! I try to match it every time I listen to YYZ. The first one is like a 16th or a 32nd note behind the beat, the second one even closer to the beat but still just barely behind, and the final one is right on it.

• Like 1

I love the timing of those hits! I try to match it every time I listen to YYZ. The first one is like a 16th or a 32nd note behind the beat, the second one even closer to the beat but still just barely behind, and the final one is right on it.

Definitely an interesting addition to an already awesome song. For some reason that part of the song during Al's solo makes me think of Don't Fear the Reaper.

• Like 1

No, they never have. It's all a matter of individual preference and musical taste.

Just because someone or many do not like a particular Rush album doesn't mean that it's bad. For as many who do not like the album, just as many, or more, do.

There isn't a Rush album without at least a few saving graces on it, and usually those songs make up for what I don't care for about the rest of the songs.

• Like 1

I was listening to Natural Science and I always liked Al's first solo in that song, but when they brought it back in 90s, they always omitted that solo. Love the song live but it was never the same to me without it. Just something about it I really dig.
  • Like 2

La Villa Strangiato to me is a Magnum Opus of rock.

The way it builds up to an orgasmic crescendo is totally amazing. If you have access to a really good car stereo with at least a thousand watts going to some great subs, I highly recommend playing it as loud as you can stand it.

• Like 3

The way it builds up to an orgasmic crescendo is totally amazing. If you have access to a really good car stereo with at least a thousand watts going to some great subs, I highly recommend playing it as loud as you can stand it.

I can't gush enough when it comes to La Villa. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

And for all those here who think it's just "nostalgia" may I remind you that I never heard Hemispheres until about three and a half years ago.

The album is timeless, and great is great.

• Like 3

I can't gush enough when it comes to La Villa. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

And for all those here who think it's just "nostalgia" may I remind you that I never heard Hemispheres until about three and a half years ago.

That song has always been universally praised. Why would anyone think nostalgia would factor into it?

That song has always been universally praised. Why would anyone think nostalgia would factor into it?

If you spent more time out here, you'd know why I said that. It's not like it hasn't been said many times.

:o :hug2:

My Hemispheres first listen (circa 2009) is something I still remember. I absolutely sat on the carpet, in front of the surround sound system, until it ran out. Not the slightest distraction.

I didn't hear Losing It, The Weapon, and Chemistry until last year... :|

:rush:

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

:o :hug2:

My Hemispheres first listen (circa 2009) is something I still remember. I absolutely sat on the carpet, in front of the surround sound system, until it ran out. Not the slightest distraction.

I didn't hear Losing It, The Weapon, and Chemistry until last year... :|

:rush:

Honest! Never heard it in the seventies. Nothing from Hemispheres was played on the radio. I would have remembered hearing it back then if it was.

• Like 1

If you spent more time out here, you'd know why I said that. It's not like it hasn't been said many times.

Out where? I was just asking a question. I didn't know a straight answer would be so hard to get.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Totally agree. It would be really hard in my mind to imagine a Rush fan that doesn't like La Villa. I am sure they are out there ... hiding in the corners somewhere ... :ph34r:

But really such a freaking good piece of music. Top 10 for me.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I'm going to gush over Working Man from The Gorge, 07/02/11.

Thanks to Tom Healey for alerting me to this one! :wub: :wub: :wub:

The video from that posted by sektor on YouTube is awesome.

• Like 2

Next Wednesday, I'll be able to watch it. I hope.

All I had on my hard drive was an awful audio for that date..

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Next Wednesday, I'll be able to watch it. I hope.

All I had on my hard drive was an awful audio for that date..

This one looks like it was recorded from front row.

I think I'll gush over Rush fans .. I mean, look at the diversity and the personalities here on this forum - and the dedication to not only Rush, but to the art of music overall ..

Yes, it is a testament to Rush and their great music, as that is what draws the fans, but I'm not sure you're going to find a more interesting, open minded and intelligent ( for the most part ) group of fans anywhere ..

• Like 7

I think I'll gush over Rush fans .. I mean, look at the diversity and the personalities here on this forum - and the dedication to not only Rush, but to the art of music overall ..

Yes, it is a testament to Rush and their great music, as that is what draws the fans, but I'm not sure you're going to find a more interesting, open minded and intelligent ( for the most part ) group of fans anywhere ..

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

• Like 1