Is Rush your most listened to band ?

djflex

I find all my proggy rock needs that Rush used to fulfill tend to be better spent with King's X now.

I love Rush, but they were my gateway to a tonne of diverse bands that I have come to enjoy just as much, if not more!

And besides, right now, I would say my most listened to bands are Nightwish, Dream Theater and King's X.

• Like 2

Overall, probably...but the other bands I like a lot (Metallica, Queen, Green Day, Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Kittie...even "lighter" stuff like Blues Traveler and BNL) get played a lot...and actually, lately I've been listening to quite a bit of Stryper (I might be the first atheist to say that!). Looking forward to seeing Stryper in June (hopefully the M&G won't be too expensive, because I really would like to meet them...I saw Megadeth's M&G package for their tour was going to be like $225 plus ticket...nooooo thank you Dave, Dave and the fill-ins!).

I find all my proggy rock needs that Rush used to fulfill tend to be better spent with King's X now.

I love Rush, but they were my gateway to a tonne of diverse bands that I have come to enjoy just as much, if not more!

And besides, right now, I would say my most listened to bands are Nightwish, Dream Theater and King's X.

King's X I love as well! I am listening to them now as a matter of fact ...

• Like 1

not these days, no. disappointingly for me i haven't heard anything from new bands over the last decade or so i really wanna get into either. it's as if kids these days just havent got what they had back in the 70s 80s or even 90s. i mean i'm still listening to a lot of genesis & yes these days, especially Tormato and Going For The One, the most recent bands i really immersed myself into were the chilli peppers and radiohead, but even they old hat now. i'm starting to feel like one of those sad old rockers but it really is because i just havent heard anything from the kids today that compares :)

i've had to psychologically accept rush as being retired now, been too long since new material and no signs of anything on horizon i can't keep waiting mentally anymore like i used to.

if ged and alex were up for it i'd be really excited excited at them forming a new band with another drummer and even singer. cant see why not, life goes on and you never too old for change, if neil's physically buggered that's tough but just the way it is. Al and Ged should relish the prospect of a whole new career come on guys you arent finished doing new material get on with it :)

anyway, release release i'm back to Tormato. what a great album.

I'd say overall, probably...A lot of stuff over the years, including bootlegs. Not to mention my at least once per year run of all the albums on my iPod. (start with Rush, and let it go until the end of CA...then another time, start with ABC 74 and let it go until the last live disc...well now R40 Live!) If I had the time and patience, I'd PROBABLY add at least one boot per tour from beginning to end to fill in the blanks.

But that said.. I also seem to listen to a lot of Zappa, Pink Floyd, Spocks Beard and related (Transatlantic/Neal Morse), Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, and Yes-related....

• Like 1

I go through phases. There is just too much different music that I absolutely love.

Rush is one of the two most important bands to come along in my lifetime, and I love them, always. But there are times that I go for awhile, even a couple of months sometimes, without listening to them.

But then when I come back to them again, it's always :D :guitar: :D

• Like 2

Upon discovering Rush back in '77, I pretty much listened to a Rush album or two each day (back then there only 5 distinct studio albums and one live album). That pattern continued for the next few years, ending with the introduction of Signals, at which point the honeymoon was definitely over and Rush found itself holding only a slightly elevated position in my album rotation, but nothing else has had nearly as much intense play as Rush did during those early years. Edited by JARG

not these days, no. disappointingly for me i haven't heard anything from new bands over the last decade or so i really wanna get into either. it's as if kids these days just havent got what they had back in the 70s 80s or even 90s. i mean i'm still listening to a lot of genesis & yes these days, especially Tormato and Going For The One, the most recent bands i really immersed myself into were the chilli peppers and radiohead, but even they old hat now. i'm starting to feel like one of those sad old rockers but it really is because i just havent heard anything from the kids today that compares :)

i've had to psychologically accept rush as being retired now, been too long since new material and no signs of anything on horizon i can't keep waiting mentally anymore like i used to.

if ged and alex were up for it i'd be really excited excited at them forming a new band with another drummer and even singer. cant see why not, life goes on and you never too old for change, if neil's physically buggered that's tough but just the way it is. Al and Ged should relish the prospect of a whole new career come on guys you arent finished doing new material get on with it :)

Newer band wise...besides Porcupine Tree-Spock's Beard and related bands to each... I've been listening to Umphrey's McGee which is the best of both world's of Jam Bands and Prog...Caught them opening for Dave Matthews a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed their set, so I started looking for their live recordings (they allow taping) and found some great stuff.

But there's not a whole lot of newer stuff coming out that really gets me excited. Thankfully there are ways to at least listen to a few things of someone's before actually purchasing it...I have a lot of stuff I bought over the years "word of mouth" unheard before I listened, that I wouldn't have bought if I heard more than maybe a clip or single tune.

(and when I'm at a loss, I pull out the Yes,Genesis, Tull, Kansas, etc.)

Newer band wise...besides Porcupine Tree-Spock's Beard and related bands to each... I've been listening to Umphrey's McGee which is the best of both world's of Jam Bands and Prog...Caught them opening for Dave Matthews a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed their set, so I started looking for their live recordings (they allow taping) and found some great stuff.

But there's not a whole lot of newer stuff coming out that really gets me excited. Thankfully there are ways to at least listen to a few things of someone's before actually purchasing it...I have a lot of stuff I bought over the years "word of mouth" unheard before I listened, that I wouldn't have bought if I heard more than maybe a clip or single tune.

(and when I'm at a loss, I pull out the Yes,Genesis, Tull, Kansas, etc.)

:yes:

• Like 1

I go through phases. There is just too much different music that I absolutely love.

Rush is one of the two most important bands to come along in my lifetime, and I love them, always. But there are times that I go for awhile, even a couple of months sometimes, without listening to them.

Just curious what the other band is?

• Like 1

You may think this is odd...or maybe not...the Black Crowes.

I've garnered a handful of new fans of them around, because of my shameless promotion, haha...and found a few here who've been into them for awhile, like I have. They're a band that a lot of people think disappeared a long time ago, but...not so.

I traveled around the U.S. multiple times to see them, from 1992-2009- a total of 49 shows.

• Like 3

You may think this is odd...or maybe not...the Black Crowes.

I've garnered a handful of new fans of them around, because of my shameless promotion, haha...and found a few here who've been into them for awhile, like I have. They're a band that a lot of people think disappeared a long time ago, but...not so.

I traveled around the U.S. multiple times to see them, from 1992-2009- a total of 49 shows.

Nice! I have seen them 3-4 times since 1990 and don't find that odd at all :)

In fact of my live recordings they rank 4th in numbers... Rush(1341) Grateful Dead(185) Gov't Mule(173) Black Crowes(164)

• Like 3