High pitched singer

Strange lyrics

Sometimes samey sounding songs

Dem vocals

This is exactly why people dislike AC/DC and numerous other bands

To each his own

Just because we love an artist, plenty dislike them

• Like 2

From my experiences...there were a lot of reasons. I remember one time playing "Grand Designs" and they told me it was the most boring music ever (that was in High School). Some people find their lyrics very puzzling if you don't read a lot like the way Neil Peart does. Some find their music too complex or too long. Some say they aren't a "beat" band. Me though...I never get tired of them.
  • Like 2

Think of a very popular band that you don't care for. That's how it's done. I don't like Dylan or Springsteen and I'm sure their fans think I'm nuts. I just don't get them on any level at all.
  • Like 2

I remember in the early 80's trying to figure out why I was the only person I knew in my school who liked Rush. It seemed so very strange to me lol
  • Like 1

How is it possible not to like Rush?

The same question could be asked by huge Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Queen, Black Sabbath, Eagles, The Beatles or Radiohead fans etc.- How is it possible not to like these bands? But some rock fans simply don't like their music.

For example some people like a band Devo, their debut album is rated 3.83 on the site RateYourMusic.com, but I listened some songs from that album and it sounds like rubbish to my ears, I absolutely can't stand their music, but some people will find that music great. So it's a matter of personal taste.

There are 5 possible people reactions towards Rush and their music:

1.Rush fanatics/junkies - their most fave band is Rush and some of them tend to emphasize to other people how Rush is the best band of all time and there is no band/musical artist which can hold a candle to Rush - although I am a big Rush fan I find this views pretentious and annoying, because there is no such an objective thing what is the BEST BAND OF ALL TIME, it's a totally SUBJECTIVE

2.(big) Rush fans - they absolutely love Rush and Rush is one of their fave bands, but they don't overpraise Rush to some other rock fans (I am in this category!)

3.people who listened Rush, like some of their music and fully appreciate and respect them as a very talented band but they will never be a huge fans of them

4.people who couldn't get into their music/people who are not a fans of them or don't care for them

5.people who absolutely dislike/hate their music.

Edited by Texas King

Back to the original topic/question.... Taste in music is very personal. In fact, many things are. Favorite food, favorite color, favorite author.. The list goes on. Just because my favorite color is blue doesn't mean anyone else's should be. And just because my friends favorite food is sushi, doesn't mean mine is. I think that many people feel personally attacked or judged if someone doesn't like the same band as them. I see it differently. I have never judged anyone who's favorite band is one that I don't care for, and by extension, I don't think anyone judges me if I like bands they dislike. For those who dislike Rush, I respect their choice. Most importantly, my love of the bands work has never been impacted by anyone else's opinion. Edited by Phantom

I think that many people feel personally attacked or judged if someone doesn't like the same band as them. I see it differently. I have never judged anyone who's favorite band is one that I don't care for, and by extension, I don't think anyone judges me if I like bands they dislike.

You're right with that first sentence so the inevitability is is that you WILL be judged by some for disliking bands that they like.

I think that many people feel personally attacked or judged if someone doesn't like the same band as them. I see it differently. I have never judged anyone who's favorite band is one that I don't care for, and by extension, I don't think anyone judges me if I like bands they dislike.

You're right with that first sentence so the inevitability is is that you WILL be judged by some for disliking bands that they like.

That's a really good point. Though I can't prevent someone from judging me based on me not appreciating something that they do. I can live with that, as it's a choice they're entitled to make.

• Like 2

Because its easier to dislike the few songs you know, and stating you dislike the whole band, rather than look into it and see all the works they´ve done throughout the years.

However, I don´t blame them. Truth be told, bands ofently stick to one style, and bands such as Rush where there are many styles which have abysses in between, are extremely rare.

• Like 1

I used to think this about the Beatles. How can anyone not like them? But some people don't. :)

I don´t like them

Peart's not too fond of them either mainly because they overshadowed many other great bands from the 60's

I used to think this about the Beatles. How can anyone not like them? But some people don't. :)

I don´t like them

Peart's not too fond of them either mainly because they overshadowed many other great bands from the 60's

What the hell does Peart know? He walked away from the greatest band that ever existed! :P

• Like 1

I don´t like them

What the hell does Peart know? He walked away from the greatest band that ever existed! :P

Good answer! :LOL:

• Like 1

Aside from the Roll the Bones album, I don't understand.

And most people listen to that Rap or Hip-Hop crap, which doesn't take a genius to create and sounds like absolute garbage.

Prog rock = best genre, and Rush created it!

I can easily understand why someone wouldn't love Rush or even like them. I would disagree with them but I understand.

Back in the college days when i would host parties and make some compilation tapes as background music, I avoided three bands/artists that I personally loved. Zappa, Jethro Tull and Rush. Something about their music, that if you weren't on board or you were unfamiliar with their music, it bugged people.