Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Rush is having a second peak in the current era. Equal to early 80's, and better than late 80's early 90's.

YES! The albums from Counterparts on are among their best in my opinion.

Neurotica and Virtuality are both excellent songs...two of their best from the 90's Era.

Snakes & Arrows is a fantastic album...with 'Side 1' being arguably one of their strongest "sides" since the 80's.

With the exception of Neurotica I agree.

My opinion of Neurotica is coloured by this one, which I like too much more (and which I know Rush are aware of):

http://youtu.be/LLRd3CfZ_sI

• Like 1

Neurotica and Virtuality are both excellent songs...two of their best from the 90's Era.

Snakes & Arrows is a fantastic album...with 'Side 1' being arguably one of their strongest "sides" since the 80's.

With the exception of Neurotica I agree.

My opinion of Neurotica is coloured by this one, which I like too much more (and which I know Rush are aware of):

http://youtu.be/LLRd3CfZ_sI

I agree. That one is definitely better.

• Like 1

This

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/rush-cover-s.jpg

is

better

than

this

http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images/albumcovers/rush-moving-pictures.jpg

I don't agree with this but I can see why you might say that. I think the debut is much better than a lot of people give it credit for.

Sorry, but take the name Rush off the cover, and it could be the above average debut of many an unknown band.

Perhaps I should have said "I like this better" - because I do . .

And I will respectfully - and completely - disagree with the notion that the debut could be many an unknown band - there is only one voice like that !!

To my ear, before there are the epics, before there are the musical chops, there is Geddy and his voice

• Like 4

This

is better than this

I don't agree with this but I can see why you might say that. I think the debut is much better than a lot of people give it credit for.

Sorry, but take the name Rush off the cover, and it could be the above average debut of many an unknown band.

And I will respectfully - and completely - disagree with the notion that the debut could be many an unknown band - there is only one voice like that !!

To my ear, before there are the epics, before there are the musical chops, there is Geddy and his voice

I won't weigh in on the notion of the two albums pitted against one another, but I definitely agree about Geddy.

I also think that Mr. Lifeson had considerable chops, even at age 20.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Well that pretty much sums up that era. Happy to have missed it to be honest. P U...
  • Like 2

When i first listened to Rush's debut I never really liked it. But recently, i listened to it again, and it is a pretty solid album.

Maybe not some of their best, but there are some great songs on it. I would recommend anyone who doesn't like it to give it another listen

• Like 2

When i first listened to Rush's debut I never really liked it. But recently, i listened to it again, and it is a pretty solid album.

Maybe not some of their best, but there are some great songs on it. I would recommend anyone who doesn't like it to give it another listen

it's a fine hard rock album. Just not what i want to hear when i reach for Rush.

Mick

• Like 2

I've given that generic album more than it's fair share of it's listens. There's nothing that album offers that Led Zeppelin can't and then some.

• Like 1

Oh i got one.

i think Animate is pretty awful live. it's a pure studio track. it's where it's magic is.

Mick

I thought they played the song good on R40. They played it at the proper pace and they didn't slow it down like they used to. The song actually had some life in it live.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

This

is

better

than

this

But much like Yes debut, or even The Beatles, you rarely see the debut making a Splash with anyone but the diehard fans.

An important album for Rush, but not a milestone release for rock music. And I don't find his voice unique on this debut.

• Like 1

This

is

better

than

this

But much like Yes debut, or even The Beatles, you rarely see the debut making a Splash with anyone but the diehard fans.

An important album for Rush, but not a milestone release for rock music. And I don't find his voice unique on this debut.

a higher robert Plant........i was never big on Plant.

Mick

• Like 1

This

is

better

than

this

a higher robert Plant........i was never big on Plant.

Mick

My thoughts exactly.

The only people who will ever big up the Rush debut are Rush fans. No one else.

• Like 1

The debut album was just practice for Geddy and Alex. The addition of Neil took the band to a level of musical and lyrical brilliance they never would have come close to achieving without him. Their debut is decent hard rock, nothing more. There is nothing special about that album. It's standard 70s hard rock. If they continued like that they would have been done by 1980 if not sooner and we never would have had anything close to what they did on FBN through Hemispheres. When Neil joined, he completely changed the direction of the band. He challenged Geddy and Alex's songwriting abilities and made them a hundred times better at it. They had no equal once Neil was in the fold and the band truly became one of a kind.

Overall, the debut is very weak in comparison to most of the stuff they did after it. That's why no one really talks about it.

Overall, the debut is very weak in comparison to most of the stuff they did after it. That's why no one really talks about it.

I agree with this, but it isnt a BAD album, i like it a lot even if it is really basic

Edited by MagicSpree101

Not do I talk about it, I listen to it all the time

For me, music isn't something to compare, but simply to enjoy and be inspired by ....

And frankly, I could give 2 ***** what other people talk about or find interest in

The debut album was just practice for Geddy and Alex. The addition of Neil took the band to a level of musical and lyrical brilliance they never would have come close to achieving without him. Their debut is decent hard rock, nothing more. There is nothing special about that album. It's standard 70s hard rock. If they continued like that they would have been done by 1980 if not sooner and we never would have had anything close to what they did on FBN through Hemispheres.

Well, that's not exactly accurate for FBN. There's a good deal of the pre-Neil sound on FBN:

"Anthem" - the riff predated Neil. Alex has said that John Rutsey just didn't like playing it, so the song never went further until Neil arrived. They even jammed on the riff with Neil at Neil's audition. It probably would've become a different song (certainly different lyrics), but the finished version bridges the Rutsey era and Peart era.

"Best I Can" - this song was pretty much done during the Rutsey days, as heard during the Laura Secord Secondary School concert.

"In The End" - the Fly By Night lyrics sheet says the song was written in Toronto and without Neil Peart. It is finished as early as the August 1975 Agora Ballroom concert (a month after Neil joined the band), this song would seem to date from the days before Neil replaced John Rutsey.

"7/4 War Furor" - This jam began life in 1975 as part of live versions of "Working Man" (before later being incorporated into "By-tor") and is pretty much Alex and Geddy at work, so it's not unreasonable to guess that if John had been around for album no. 2, this piece of music would've been given a home somewhere on it.

So, yes, while much of FBN was written on the road during that '75 tour after Neil joined, a significant portion of it still represents Rutsey-era Rush. Caress Of Steel was really the first full Peart-era Rush album.

• Like 2

The video for Time Stand Still is the greatest music video of all time. The special effects used could beat Avatar!

(Note: not sure if we're supposed to be serious or just joking around)

Edited by Tom_Sawyer99

rush fans are not generally any more intelligent than other rock fans

I once heard someone voice such a conviction in just about those words ("Rush fans are generally more intelligent"). I was bonding with a fellow Rush fan far away from home. Of course we were sharing our feeling that our appreciation was not appreciated. He uttered the statement in a tone that suggested he had been privy to the raw data that proved the assertion.