Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

R40 was great in concept.........but i just got around to watching that first half.........god how utterly boring. Should have just done a whole show of pre 90's stuff

Mick

I agree that set one is/was boring. This ties in to the other thread about why we don't love modern era Rush.

If you were there, it was fantastic. The show's design had perfect build up to the epic second set. You want a boring set? Clockwork Angels tour. Both sets. The Garden was a tour highlight. 'Nuff said. :zzz:
  • Like 1

Believe it or not, I really do try not to offend anyone else's musical sensibilities around here. Admittedly, I don't always succeed, but I do try.

Also, I am always aware that there are a few here who see Rush through eyes that I will never look at them through.

Having said that, here's an undoubtedly unpopular opinion.

It is time Rush retires for good. Geddy's voice is gone.

his voice has been done since 2011 sadly...........but we don't acknowledge that.

hee hee

Mick

I won't breathe a word of it to anyone. :no: Mums the word for me. :ph34r: ;)

• Like 2

R40 was great in concept.........but i just got around to watching that first half.........god how utterly boring. Should have just done a whole show of pre 90's stuff

Mick

I agree that set one is/was boring. This ties in to the other thread about why we don't love modern era Rush.

If you were there, it was fantastic. The show's design had perfect build up to the epic second set. You want a boring set? Clockwork Angels tour. Both sets. The Garden was a tour highlight. 'Nuff said. :zzz:

oh i would have no trouble being bored being there trust me.

Far cry, How it is, Animate, Roll the Bones. Between the Wheels.

I'll pass.

Mick

Mick

oh i would have no trouble being bored being there trust me.

Far cry, How it is, Animate, Roll the Bones. Between the Wheels.

I'll pass.

Mick

Roll the Bones was strangely a show highlight. The video made it lots of fun. This from someone who can't stand the song.

Believe it or not, I really do try not to offend anyone else's musical sensibilities around here. Admittedly, I don't always succeed, but I do try.

Also, I am always aware that there are a few here who see Rush through eyes that I will never look at them through.

Agreed! His voice has been gone for a while now IMO

I agree the R40 cd is hard to take. REAL hard. It wasn't like that for my 3 shows though...that's what has me scratching my head.

Keep making studio albums boy...screw the naysayers

• Like 3

Agreed! His voice has been gone for a while now IMO

I agree the R40 cd is hard to take. REAL hard. It wasn't like that for my 3 shows though...that's what has me scratching my head.

Keep making studio albums boy...screw the naysayers

Live experiances can tend to blind one to faults.

not me of course cause i'm awesome :P :D

Mick

• Like 3

Here's an unpopular opinion:

Clockwork Angels is one of their best albums.

Here is where I am starting to agree:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Wreckers

Seven Cities Of Gold

Headlong Flight

BU2B2

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Already feeling I am at a point where I can safely say I like it more than these albums:

Rush

Signals

Power Windows

Roll The Bones

Test For Echo

And possibly also Snakes And Arrows

I have some issues: I hate the production, sorry but to my ears its worse than Vapor Trails, and The Anarchist, Carnies and Halo Effect are currently still not tops, but this week I found myself not disliking them as much as in the past! And you know what? In the studio at least, Geddy still sounds cool!

• Like 2

In the studio at least, Geddy still sounds cool phenomenal!

Fixed. Clockwork Angels has great vocals I agree

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

He gets slated for this song, but his voice on Wish Them Well takes me right back to the second side of 2112!I always thought this was an excellent, back to basics style Rush rocker! Love it!

Seven Cities is excellent, and the choruses to both the Wreckers and Headlong Flight are AMAZING!

And he depth of feeling on The Garden. I am warming to Clockwork Angels again. It is so far from being my favourite album, it is ridiculous but I am at a point where I know for sure it is full of greatness!

Still, the production bombs. But I also really love the lyrics, something that I didn't much care for regarding most of SA.

• Like 2

He gets slated for this song, but his voice on Wish Them Well takes me right back to the second side of 2112!I always thought this was an excellent, back to basics style Rush rocker! Love it!

Seven Cities is excellent, and the choruses to both the Wreckers and Headlong Flight are AMAZING!

And he depth of feeling on The Garden. I am warming to Clockwork Angels again. It is so far from being my favourite album, it is ridiculous but I am at a point where I know for sure it is full of greatness!

Still, the production bombs. But I also really love the lyrics, something that I didn't much care for regarding most of SA.

As noted ad nauseum I love SCOG. Geddy is just laying it out there at an advanced age. The banshee wail transports the listener. There is no other song in the catalog like it.
  • Like 1

As noted ad nauseum I love SCOG. Geddy is just laying it out there at an advanced age. The banshee wail transports the listener. There is no other song in the catalog like it.

I have always stated that Seven Cities is up there with my favourites. Not top ten, but higher than many! The closest they have gotten to Xanadu levels of grandeur and beauty, and sometimes I would even go as far as to say I like it more! The Wreckers through to Headlong Flight is excellent!

• Like 1

I have always stated that Seven Cities is up there with my favourites. Not top ten, but higher than many! The closest they have gotten to Xanadu levels of grandeur and beauty, and sometimes I would even go as far as to say I like it more! The Wreckers through to Headlong Flight is excellent!

I'm so proud of you...I'm gonna cry
  • Like 1

I'm so proud of you...I'm gonna cry

Its currently a 7/10 album for me. It doesn't quite rank up their with anything from Fly By Night to Moving Pictures, but I like it more than Signals and Power Windows. Post 1989, it is rivalled only by CP and VT. Not sure where I stand with CP, as to whether it is better or not (as I said, a few clunkers and the sound affects my enjoyment), but CA is worming its way back into my affections (again, I want it too as when it came out it was enormously important to me).

I believe that Clockwork Angels is one of Rush's best, if not the best, albums.

(Grammar nerd inquiry: Is it correct for "albums" to be plural here if it is in reference to one plural phrase and one singular phrase? This is the sort of thing I wonder about.)

• Like 1

Mick

Disagreeing! :hi:

Hahaha...

I just watched it for the first time, a couple of days ago. Thought it was really good, all the way through.

Is it anything like the old days? No, of course not. But capturing their former glory is not something they've ever wanted to do. I feel that they put on a great show, regardless.

Nothing wrong with the show but the song choices were just a yawn. At least TMMB was in there which perked it up a bit.

Mick

Considering the first three songs were CA songs that's a big percentage of boring and yes I was there. I would say the second set was fantastic.

Mick

Hahaha...

I just watched it for the first time, a couple of days ago. Thought it was really good, all the way through.

Is it anything like the old days? No, of course not. But capturing their former glory is not something they've ever wanted to do. I feel that they put on a great show, regardless.

Nothing wrong with the show but the song choices were just a yawn. At least TMMB was in there which perked it up a bit.

I dont have a problem necessarily with the song choices though by nafure the flow is very choppy. OLV and Far Cry for example do not belong mid set.

• Like 1

(Grammar nerd inquiry: Is it correct for "albums" to be plural here if it is in reference to one plural phrase and one singular phrase? This is the sort of thing I wonder about.)

Yes. Think of "if not the best" as being parenthetical.

You could recast the sentence like this: "...one of Rush's best albums, if not the best." Sounds a bit more natural, I think.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because your premise is false to begin with. :P :coy:

Yes. Think of "if not the best" as being parenthetical.

You could recast the sentence like this: "...one of Rush's best albums, if not the best." Sounds a bit more natural, I think.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because your premise is false to begin with. :P :coy:

I was going to "like" your post until I got to the last line! :moon:

• Like 1

Mick

Hahaha...

I dont have a problem necessarily with the song choices though by nafure the flow is very choppy. OLV and Far Cry for example do not belong mid set.

They could have dropped them both as far as I'm concerned.

It's my personal favorite, very good indeed.

• Like 2