Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

^ Second that. For better or for worse (better for me), it stands alone. It makes sense that it tends to be a love it or hate album with many.
  • Like 1

They should have stopped touring after Time Machine. Ged's voice has been cooked since 2011.

Mick

One thinks maybe they toured too much for that one. Not even to promote an album but just to tour? That decision may have bitten them in the butt big time.

i think it sealed their fate. Neil may have wanted to retire......but i DO think ged's voice was probably a deciding factor too. and that tour was the beginning of the end. killed it.

Mick

I don't think they should have stopped. From what i've heard of Clockwork Angels, it sounds great, the R40 Tour was nice, and Geddy's voice is, IMO, better now than the Vapor Trails and R30 tours.

The high notes he hits in Headlong Flight are nothing short of spine-chilling.

I wish that I could LIVE IT ALL AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIN!

Edited by Eel Yddeg

Here's an unpopular opinion. Freewill is both lyrically and musically clunky. It's like Neil standing on a soapbox, set to music (not very good music). I'll grant that the guitar solo rocks, and the part right after is cool, where Geddy screams "Each of us, a cell of awareness..." but as far as the rest of it, I will choose to remain unimpressed.

I tend to agree

And Entre Nous is a complete dud

Just between us i gotta disagree on both counts.

• Like 1

Rush plays great live, but is not particularly a great live band.

wow, now that is an interesting one

I want to hear why you say that

I think that over time, this has happened, as I can imagine back in the 70s they were a great live band

I saw them on the Permanent Waves tour ( which by Toymakers account would still be considered the 70s era ) and the vibe and atmosphere was incredible - they were a great live band back then ..

But I can see your point in that all that atmosphere and dry ice and otherworldly oddness that made up their shows went out the window when the roasting chickens and washing machines and "humorous" videos entered the picture

Here's an unpopular opinion. Freewill is both lyrically and musically clunky. It's like Neil standing on a soapbox, set to music (not very good music). I'll grant that the guitar solo rocks, and the part right after is cool, where Geddy screams "Each of us, a cell of awareness..." but as far as the rest of it, I will choose to remain unimpressed.

I tend to agree

That's OK Tangy, it's the spaces in between that count !

( oh god, what am I quoting ? )

• Like 1

I tend to agree

That's OK Tangy, it's the spaces in between that count !

( oh god, what am I quoting ? )

You are "alone and yet together"...

• Like 1

Rush plays great live, but is not particularly a great live band.

wow, now that is an interesting one

I want to hear why you say that

I think that over time, this has happened, as I can imagine back in the 70s they were a great live band

I saw them on the Permanent Waves tour ( which by Toymakers account would still be considered the 70s era ) and the vibe and atmosphere was incredible - they were a great live band back then ..

But I can see your point in that all that atmosphere and dry ice and otherworldly oddness that made up their shows went out the window when the roasting chickens and washing machines and "humorous" videos entered the picture

I don't know...I see what you're saying, but even take away all of the visuals- the stripped-down stage set-up of the end of the R40 set, for example- and you have a trio of guys who are MORE technically proficient at their instruments, and a much better playing unit, than they ever were in the '70s.

• Like 1

Yes, they are very proficient at recreating their songs live, and obviously are technical masters,but I think they are very predictable in how they do it. There's very little improv or surprises, and aside from a few setlist changes, if you've seen one show on the tour, you've seen them all. They are incredibly consistent, and I truly don't think they've ever done a bad show, but there's a lack of danger,or risk involved, and it seems like with all the props, videos, samples, etc.,that it's almost like a Broadway show with a script. Sure, there's danger in a sample not working or whatever, but I'm talking about more of a playing thing. My dream is to see them live at the Orbit Room. No bullshit, just the three of them, and whatever they can fit on that tiny floor, playing whatever they want, going nuts.
  • Like 1

Yes, they are very proficient at recreating their songs live, and obviously are technical masters,but I think they are very predictable in how they do it. There's very little improv or surprises, and aside from a few setlist changes, if you've seen one show on the tour, you've seen them all. They are incredibly consistent, and I truly don't think they've ever done a bad show, but there's a lack of danger,or risk involved, and it seems like with all the props, videos, samples, etc.,that it's almost like a Broadway show with a script. Sure, there's danger in a sample not working or whatever, but I'm talking about more of a playing thing. My dream is to see them live at the Orbit Room. No bullshit, just the three of them, and whatever they can fit on that tiny floor, playing whatever they want, going nuts.

Ah, well there is definitely a difference in what we like, and that's probably why we have a difference in thinking of Rush as one of the best live bands. I do not like improv or jams at all. I want to hear songs. No noodling, please!

• Like 1

Ah, well there is definitely a difference in what we like, and that's probably why we have a difference in thinking of Rush as one of the best live bands. I do not like improv or jams at all. I want to hear songs. No noodling, please!

Hmmm, I like noodles.

But I also like meat and potatoes.

And I always eat all of my legumes and leafy greens.

:huh:

• Like 3

Honestly i can agree slightly. Rush always plays top notch. but with little to no variation. so i sort of agree.

can see how they'd bore some.......in fact i've heard them called boring live, lol

Mick

What I detest about shows nowadays, and I'm not even sure exactly when it began, but...

Everything is rushed. The old days, bands could jam and do whatever they wanted to on stage not heeding the fact that they only had a limited amount of time on stage. Led Zeppelin was famous for turning a two hour show into three plus hours with Jimmy doing whatever he felt like doing whenever he felt like doing it.

Now, they get a certain amount of time for a show. No time to waste. Not even enough time to clap and appreciate the song you just saw performed without the opening notes to the next song starting. Rush. Rush. Rush.

No more spontaneity.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Honestly i can agree slightly. Rush always plays top notch. but with little to no variation. so i sort of agree.

can see how they'd bore some.......in fact i've heard them called boring live, lol

Mick

What I detest about shows nowadays, and I'm not even sure exactly when it began, but...

Everything is rushed. The old days, bands could jam and do whatever they wanted to on stage not heeding the fact that they only had a limited amount of time on stage. Led Zeppelin was famous for turning a two hour show into three plus hours with Jimmy doing whatever he felt like doing whenever he felt like doing it.

Now, they get a certain amount of time for a show. No time to waste. Not even enough time to clap and appreciate the song you just saw performed without the opening notes to the next song starting. Rush. Rush. Rush.

No more spontaneity.

Did Rush ever jam though? i'm not being a smart ass.....i'm just curious.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

No more spontaneity.

Did Rush ever jam though? i'm not being a smart ass.....i'm just curious.

Mick

You are asking me? :LOL: I don't know.

I just mentioned that. It doesn't have to be jamming. In the old days, encores weren't planned. And, an encore could go on an hour. There was no rush to get off stage and out of the building.

Like I said, there was a lot more spontaneity from bands back then. There was a lot of bantering and stuff between songs. And you got time to clap.

Today it appears like every single thing is on a strict time-table. Not a minute more is allowed.

Too uniform. Too planned. Too orchestrated. I guess a lot of that has to do with the light shows and all of the doo-dads that Geddy and Alex are pushing with their feet to get special effects or added enhancement for their instruments? I don't know.

The old days, you never knew what would happen next. Today, you know every little thing, and it rarely, if ever, deviates from that.

• Like 1