Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

I have some big ones.

Ignoring the bad lyrics, Dog Years is a good song.

I hate Vital Signs and New World Man.

I'm glad Rush is done now, instead of endlessly parading their greatest hits for all eternity.

A Farewell To Kings> Moving Pictures. Moving Pictures is bogged down by Vital Signs, while EVERY song on AFTK ranges from good (Cinderella Man, Madrigal) to amazing (Xanadu, Cygnus X-1).

And possibly the biggest one of all...

Geddy's voice is not only still great, if anything, it's gotten BETTER since the Vapor Trails/R30 Era.

The Test For Echo-R30 period is my least favorite era for his voice. His middle register was still good, but his higher notes sounded very thin and strained.

Since then, his high notes have gotten much less thin sounding, and better.

Examples of songs that sound better now than then are Xanadu, Natural Science, and Working Man.

Some songs do sound weaker now than then (Subdivisions, 2112), but overall, I say he's improved.

I have some big ones.

Ignoring the bad lyrics, Dog Years is a good song.

I rather like Dog Years. Sure, it's not a prog masterpiece, but I like it for being a fun little song.

I'm glad Rush is done now, instead of endlessly parading their greatest hits for all eternity.

I would rather Rush retire before becoming caricatures of themselves like most other bands who have persisted into perpetuity. If they truly are done then they have certainly gone out on top! (But if it were possible for them to continue at that level then that would be even better.)

• Like 3

rush fans are not generally any more intelligent than other rock fans

yeah that's an embarrassing assertion It's like the stereotype that us Canadians are nicer than Americans

I can vouch for this....

Wait , wut?

• Like 1

3 people a rock band does not make

Really?

Do explain, please!

Blue J, either you're joking, or you didn't see the R40 tour or DVD.

Ah!

I just got it.

I did get to a show on the tour...don't own the DVD yet. But at any rate, umm...thanks for the clue. Seriously.

For as sarcastic as I can be sometimes, it takes me a long time to get the joke. :P (I was taking you seriously. My fault. ;) ).

Seeing this thread has been resurrected, I haven't listened to 2112 for decades. To me it's a simplistic shriek fest that scarily has become the bible for right wing American Rush fans. Now wait for the reaction, thankfully I'm in Tasmania.
  • Like 1

Geddy's voice is not only still great, if anything, it's gotten BETTER since the Vapor Trails/R30 Era.

Really? Would you mind expanding on this?

Sure. The Vapor Trails/R30 tours featured him using a very thin sound, which is especially noticeable on higher notes. To me, it really sounds bad, like he's forcing to sing like his old self, but failing. From Snakes and Arrows onwards, he's started singing with a lower voice, with a thicker, more solid sound for higher notes. This sounds much better, as his tone sounds more natural and less forced, and his higher singing sounds less strained and more consistent. He has also stopped going for notes he struggled with, such as the "FOR I will dine on honeydew" notes in Xanadu. He has seen some problems with "yodeling", and songs like Subdivisions have seen a downgrade in quality, but overall, it sounds much better. A demonstration of this evolution can be found by listening to 2002/04 versions of songs such as Working Man, Xanadu, The Spirit of Radio, or Natural Science, and then 2015 versions.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

The debut album was just practice for Geddy and Alex. The addition of Neil took the band to a level of musical and lyrical brilliance they never would have come close to achieving without him. Their debut is decent hard rock, nothing more. There is nothing special about that album. It's standard 70s hard rock. If they continued like that they would have been done by 1980 if not sooner and we never would have had anything close to what they did on FBN through Hemispheres.

Well, that's not exactly accurate for FBN. There's a good deal of the pre-Neil sound on FBN:

"Anthem" - the riff predated Neil. Alex has said that John Rutsey just didn't like playing it, so the song never went further until Neil arrived. They even jammed on the riff with Neil at Neil's audition. It probably would've become a different song (certainly different lyrics), but the finished version bridges the Rutsey era and Peart era.

"Best I Can" - this song was pretty much done during the Rutsey days, as heard during the Laura Secord Secondary School concert.

"In The End" - the Fly By Night lyrics sheet says the song was written in Toronto and without Neil Peart. It is finished as early as the August 1975 Agora Ballroom concert (a month after Neil joined the band), this song would seem to date from the days before Neil replaced John Rutsey.

"7/4 War Furor" - This jam began life in 1975 as part of live versions of "Working Man" (before later being incorporated into "By-tor") and is pretty much Alex and Geddy at work, so it's not unreasonable to guess that if John had been around for album no. 2, this piece of music would've been given a home somewhere on it.

So, yes, while much of FBN was written on the road during that '75 tour after Neil joined, a significant portion of it still represents Rutsey-era Rush. Caress Of Steel was really the first full Peart-era Rush album.

:goodone:

Much of Caress of Steel gets worse with repeated listenings

And to think I bought this guy dinner...

:LOL:

The fool. Also thinks Permanent Waves is an 80's album.

You got gyped.

...You liked that post not very long ago! :LOL:

Here's an unpopular opinion. Freewill is both lyrically and musically clunky. It's like Neil standing on a soapbox, set to music (not very good music). I'll grant that the guitar solo rocks, and the part right after is cool, where Geddy screams "Each of us, a cell of awareness..." but as far as the rest of it, I will choose to remain unimpressed.
  • Like 1

Here's an unpopular opinion. Freewill is both lyrically and musically clunky. It's like Neil standing on a soapbox, set to music (not very good music). I'll grant that the guitar solo rocks, and the part right after is cool, where Geddy screams "Each of us, a cell of awareness..." but as far as the rest of it, I will choose to remain unimpressed.

I tend to agree

And Entre Nous is a complete dud