Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Back to the OP: Is it unpopular to say that AFtK is vastly under-appreciated by this thread? f**k Ayn Rand; Cinderella Man is the Professor's Rush's best lyric inspired by another work.

[edit of my long-held misconception thanks to laughedatbytime: see response in following comment]

Edited by Ged Lent's sis
  • Like 2

Back to the OP: Is it unpopular to say that AFtK is vastly under-appreciated by this thread? f**k Ayn Rand; Cinderella Man is the Professor's best lyric inspired by another work.

I thought Geddy wrote those lyrics???

• Like 1

Here's my Monday morning unpopular opinion.

I have come to the decision that Presto is trash. It has two good songs, one of which is used to indoctrinate which I resent any band using their music to do.

Anyone here that was wholly into the Rush of the seventies must have been crushed when they heard Presto. In my opinion (emphasis on those last three words :)), Presto is an album beneath the talent of Rush.

Cue Segue for the defense.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Post of the millennium.

Back to the OP: Is it unpopular to say that AFtK is vastly under-appreciated by this thread? f**k Ayn Rand; Cinderella Man is the Professor's best lyric inspired by another work.
I thought Geddy wrote those lyrics???

It would appear that you thought correctly and that I was mistaken. Thanks for pointing that out. Therefore, to revise my previous post: Is it unpopular to say that AFtK is vastly under-appreciated by this thread? F**k Ayn Rand; Cinderella Man is the best Rush lyric inspired by another work.

• Like 1

Back to the OP: Is it unpopular to say that AFtK is vastly under-appreciated by this thread? f**k Ayn Rand; Cinderella Man is the Professor's Rush's best lyric inspired by another work.

[edit of my long-held misconception thanks to laughedatbytime: see response in following comment]

I always thought Cinderella Man suffered greatly because of it's lyrics. It's basically "A good guy went to the city, there were bad guys there who didn't approve of the good guy being good. But the good guy was good anyway and the bad guys were defeated!".

It's actually kind of amazed me how people rip Dog Years and Virtuality apart for their lyrics yet leave Cinderella Man untouched.

It's actually kind of amazed me how people rip Dog Years and Virtuality apart for their lyrics yet leave Cinderella Man untouched.

That doesn't amaze me; sorry. Cinderella Man may be a little bit overly-precious in a couple of spots, lyrically, but at its core, it's just about triumph of the individual.

Dog Years and Virtuality are, ummm...not.

That doesn't amaze me; sorry. Cinderella Man may be a little bit overly-precious in a couple of spots, lyrically, but at its core, it's just about triumph of the individual.

Regardless of the message, the lyrics are painful. Dog Years and Virtuality have messages too, and I can agree that they have corny lyrics. But Cinderella Man is just on another level...

Edited by AnEggplant

Regardless of the message, the lyrics are painful.

Agreed but so is the music. These songs stink in all ways...

Narps, I thought you were a big fan of Cinderella Man. :huh:

I spoke up because I couldn't stand to have it lumped in with those other two turkeys!

I spoke up because I couldn't stand to have it lumped in with those other two turkeys!

Look up ^^^^ in bold. I would never say anything bad about Cinderella Man. EVER...
  • Like 2

Look up ^^^^ in bold. I would never say anything bad about Cinderella Man. EVER...

I did see that...too many quote boxes, I guess. I couldn't figure out who was singling out which songs.

Anyway, right on.

That instrumental break about two thirds of the way through Cinderella Man never ceases to kick my butt...and make me smile...

I always thought Cinderella Man suffered greatly because of it's lyrics. It's basically "A good guy went to the city, there were bad guys there who didn't approve of the good guy being good. But the good guy was good anyway and the bad guys were defeated!"

You can blame as much of that on Clarence Budington Kelland. The irony is that the embodiment of that inspiration played Howard Roarke in one of Neil's faves, as well. Frankly (no pun intended), I prefer the pie-in-the-sky individualism of this to the hypocritical narcissism of the latter.

Edited by Ged Lent's sis

You also have to consider that CM was written by a 20+ year old and Virtuality and Dog Years were written by a 40+ year old. The subject matter is obviously going to be different.
  • Like 1

You also have to consider that CM was written by a 20+ year old and Virtuality and Dog Years were written by a 40+ year old. The subject matter is obviously going to be different.

I think T4E is a better album than Rush or Fly By Night.

• Like 2

Blasphemy I say...
  • Like 3

Blasphemy I say...

http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/11162012214760.jpg

Blasphemy I say...

So are you saying you are trying to be something that you aren't? :P

• Like 1

Blasphemy I say...

No. I really am a pinecone!

Blasphemy I say...

No. I really am a pinecone!

http://www.nichecartoons.com/images/PineConeMan_Logo1.jpg

• Like 1

Rush yes. FBN?? Maybe.

What's wrong with FBN? The only song I ever hear people rag on is Rivendell. The rest of them are good. IMO of course.

• Like 1

Rush yes. FBN?? Maybe.

What's wrong with FBN? The only song I ever hear people rag on is Rivendell. The rest of them are good. IMO of course.

There nothing wrong with it. I have always thought of it as the first proper Rush album.

• Like 1

But barely six-years-old in dog years.

• Like 3