losingit2k

What next for RUSH  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is it over? if not whats next for RUSH

• Its Over! Pack it up and go home!
    • RUSH will only record not tour!
    • RUSH will record and tour in 4 years!
    • RUSH will tour with a new drummer!
    • Alex & Geddy will tour as a solo artist!
    • No more records but they will announce a 45th Anniversary Tour!

I'm not sure how "Alex & Geddy will tour as a solo artist" works. Will they use that teleportation machine from The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum? That is, will Geddy & Alex sit in separate telepods then be teleported to a third telepod fused into ONE being (thereby making them a solo artist)?

"Help me! Heeeeeeeelp meeeee..."

• Like 3

I can certainly see the three of them in the studio together again. I think it's likely we'll see another new album.

As of this moment, Geddy would be the one who would want to put together another tour, definitely more than the other two. After listening back to their finished work, I can imagine the following exchange:

Geddy: Oh, come on, guys- we've gotta tour behind this!

Alex: I don't know, Ged...I was happy to be able to get this down, but man, my hands are screaming...I dont know if I can do it.

Neil: (says nothing, but peers just above the book his nose is in, to raise a surly eyebrow at Geddy).

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4

The future isn't set. There's no fate but what they make.

;)

They're going to kill Miles Bennett Dyson?!? :o :scared:
  • Like 3

They'll do a record and a string of 5-6 selected shows (NY, LA, maybe London)

I think it could be 1.5 or 2 years before we hear anything though.

Edited by driven_to_xanadu

I live in Tasmania,Australia,a long way away.I can't afford to fly or sail over to North America.However i do have dinghy.I'll start rowing and by the time i get over there they will have a new album and mini tour and i will be 57 and 365 days old.They should be well rested and refreshed by then.
  • Like 2

They'll take a couple years off and then release a new album and do a short run of tour dates. 12-15 shows will have Neil back home in a month. I think he can handle that.

I think there's a good chance we get a solo album from Geddy during the break.

• Like 1

I stated my opinion elsewhere - but I can't see Rush creating new songs without wanting to play them live (insert a myriad of quotes from Ged, Al, Neil about live performance being the true measure of a band, a validation of that studio creation, where the creation comes to life, etc. etc.), and I think there is zero chance of a major tour, and very, very little chance of a limited tour. Their road crew/family is not going to wait around for Rush to maybe play a dozen shows in a few years and I doubt the band would be into dealing with a bunch of newbies & limited run of shows is not financially viable to recoup upfront expenses for light/sound/transportation or for the crew - reference Alex's counter-suit documents in Naples PD affair - a tour needs lots of dates to make money. Also, Rush, being the perfectionists that they are, are not going to rehearse to rehearse to play less than a dozen shows. The preparation for a show (production, rehearsals, etc) takes months. Would they really make that effort for less than a dozen shows? I also question whether they could really sell out a place like MSG for more than a couple nights in a row. I mean, I'm a diehard and I'm fortunate to not be broke (though my kids are trying), but I could not justify more than a couple nights, flying up to NYC, hotel, etc. especially if tickets are $400+ face to recoup tour expenses. How many other diehards could make that pilgrimage and afford a week in NYC? A bunch, I am sure. But enough to fill MSG 4-5 nights? It would interesting to see the business case (after all, it is a business.) How many tickets would they have to sell to make it worth it, pay the crew, lighting/sound rentals, trucking (if multiple venues)? Live Nation / the promoters are the other half of the equation. There's got to be money for them to get involved.

Thus, I think it is retirement.

However, I could see them getting together as friends to record a couple new instrumentals and release them as a part of a compilation disc of all their instrumentals. This would tempt them to play them live again; However, starting up the touring machine that has effectively been shut down is easier said than done. There may be demand, but if any one of the three is just not that keen on it, it won't happen. I have to say the ideas of performing as "Rush" without Neil are not realistic. Will never happen. The Geddy Lee band, I could see, but not billed as Rush and not playing a majority of Rush material.

My guess is that when and if there are more shows, the "evening with" format is over. I'd expect them to play normal length headlining sets, 1.5 - 2 hours, possibly with an opening band again.

New material yes...4 years from now though? No....the band used their time machine tour as a way to keep chops up and...plllaaayyyy....they won't take 4 years off and record at 65-66 years old...

I do think the Alex arthritis thing has been overstated...because the man himself said so...wishes he never brought it up....

Touring like we have seen? Nope...they all have said this too...

Is Rush over? No...they have said this many times as well...

I would not be surprised by more than one new release either...scale back on live...but continue to create..

NP is never gonna stop playing....Buddy never did....most don't....especially the drummers drummer types...I don't care how achey he says he is....the Gruber thing...the Erskine lessons...his continued interest in learning and improving will win out....

• Like 1