losingit2k

What next for RUSH  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is it over? if not whats next for RUSH

• Its Over! Pack it up and go home!
    • RUSH will only record not tour!
    • RUSH will record and tour in 4 years!
    • RUSH will tour with a new drummer!
    • Alex & Geddy will tour as a solo artist!
    • No more records but they will announce a 45th Anniversary Tour!

I think its a tour when you...tour...5 shows at MSG and 5 in Toronto to me isnt...its a special event....but I guess its all opinion really.... :huh: :huh:
  • Like 1

I do hate to say it, but unless there is a lot of money thrown at them it's not going to happen. Additionally there would have to be a reasonable amount of time off - say to start in the spring and hit some untapped markets. I can't see a residency anywhere but Toronto or NYC or LA. But that's a tough sell business wise.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how "Alex & Geddy will tour as a solo artist" works. Will they use that teleportation machine from The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum? That is, will Geddy & Alex sit in separate telepods then be teleported to a third telepod fused into ONE being (thereby making them a solo artist)?

"Help me! Heeeeeeeelp meeeee..."

I took that to mean that they'll tour as *solo artists*. Frankly, I'm not even sure about Alex. I'm almost certain Geddy will tour.

• Like 1

If they do anymore live shows i guess the big poduction shows will be pulled back.I guess it could be along the lines when they did the SARS show where it was all stripped back.We could even see Neil sporting a Charlie Watts drumkit.
  • Like 1

That was one of my favourite moments on that video when Neil was humbled to meet Charlie.

NP is never gonna stop playing....Buddy never did....most don't....especially the drummers drummer types...I don't care how achey he says he is....the Gruber thing...the Erskine lessons...his continued interest in learning and improving will win out....

Bill Bruford, somebody Neil admires and is friends with, retired in 2009 at age 60. Can't get more drummer's drummer than that! :)

• Like 2

They deserve a break. but if they ever tour again, it'll be in more than 4 years.
  • Like 1

NP is never gonna stop playing....Buddy never did....most don't....especially the drummers drummer types...I don't care how achey he says he is....the Gruber thing...the Erskine lessons...his continued interest in learning and improving will win out....

Quite possible he keeps up with drumming, but he may have decided he's finished drumming *within the context of Rush*.

I know Alex said this isn't the end of the band, but the reality is that Neil WILL be calling the shots. And I've heard zero from him about having a burning desire to create another Rush album. Not that I believe he couldn't be talked into it, but there's no confirmation yet that it's on his agenda (which people seem to keep assuming). I think it's all going to depend on how much he enjoys the freedom he has now and whether he gets bored by it.

• Like 2

I'm holding out hope that they will still record. As much fun as it is to see them live, I've always hoped for more albums in exchange for fewer tours. Concerts come and go, but the newly created music lasts forever. They've only released 3 original albums since Test For Echo. Obviously, there was a very understandable reason for the gap in time before VT, but still, nearly 20 years, and only three albums. If they do record again, my guess is it would be a full album. Pretty sure they still view the album as the only way to go, not releasing just a song, or a handful of songs as an EP, or released digitally...but who knows? The LA concert may have closed a door on a certain form of Rush. They may do things differently in a lot of aspects from here on out, including the way they release any potential new music.

One potential thing that may get in the way of them staying active as a band...they way things stand at this moment, they really have had the perfect exit...

- Their tour spanned 40-plus years together, perfectly conceived with music presented newest to oldest

- Most recent album, a concept album (big undertaking), was largely well received by fans and critics

- 40 years (as a recording band with Neil), 20 albums

- Hall of Fame, and the elusive Rolling Stone cover story (not that they cared about either)

- Arguably more famous now than ever (adding in more critical acclaim and recognition that wasn't always there before)

All of that would make it easy for them to just say, let's go out on top.

Now, my gut tells me they will still record. I think they creative fire hasn't gone out completely If Neil could be convinced there wouldn't be a tour, and all he'd have to do would be go to an LA studio, not too far from home, and lay down drum tracks a few hours a day so he could still be home for dinner with his family, I could see him agreeing to that.

Who knows, if they are pretty certain they wouldn't tour new music, maybe the music gets even more expansive, without having to worry about trying to pull it off live, as just a threesome. More instrumentals...additional musicians during the recordings...anything would be possible.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with no more touring...but I want more new music

• Like 1

Bill Bruford, somebody Neil admires and is friends with, retired in 2009 at age 60. Can't get more drummer's drummer than that! :)

True I hear ya but he's an outlier....even Phil Collins I believe has come back in some capacity post retirement. I have a feeling NP actually does still love playing...its the touring part he dislikes.:)

• Like 1

I'm holding out hope that they will still record. As much fun as it is to see them live, I've always hoped for more albums in exchange for fewer tours. Concerts come and go, but the newly created music lasts forever. They've only released 3 original albums since Test For Echo. Obviously, there was a very understandable reason for the gap in time before VT, but still, nearly 20 years, and only three albums. If they do record again, my guess is it would be a full album. Pretty sure they still view the album as the only way to go, not releasing just a song, or a handful of songs as an EP, or released digitally...but who knows? The LA concert may have closed a door on a certain form of Rush. They may do things differently in a lot of aspects from here on out, including the way they release any potential new music.

One potential thing that may get in the way of them staying active as a band...they way things stand at this moment, they really have had the perfect exit...

- Their tour spanned 40-plus years together, perfectly conceived with music presented newest to oldest

- Most recent album, a concept album (big undertaking), was largely well received by fans and critics

- 40 years (as a recording band with Neil), 20 albums

- Hall of Fame, and the elusive Rolling Stone cover story (not that they cared about either)

- Arguably more famous now than ever (adding in more critical acclaim and recognition that wasn't always there before)

All of that would make it easy for them to just say, let's go out on top.

Now, my gut tells me they will still record. I think they creative fire hasn't gone out completely If Neil could be convinced there wouldn't be a tour, and all he'd have to do would be go to an LA studio, not too far from home, and lay down drum tracks a few hours a day so he could still be home for dinner with his family, I could see him agreeing to that.

Who knows, if they are pretty certain they wouldn't tour new music, maybe the music gets even more expansive, without having to worry about trying to pull it off live, as just a threesome. More instrumentals...additional musicians during the recordings...anything would be possible.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with no more touring...but I want more new music

I'd say it's much less likely they'll record an album. For 2 reasons: 1.) there's no money in albums (and tons of work) 2.) Clockwork Angels was a thematic masterpiece - how could they top it?

• Like 1

I'd say it's much less likely they'll record an album. For 2 reasons: 1.) there's no money in albums (and tons of work) 2.) Clockwork Angels was a thematic masterpiece - how could they top it?

I also can not see them creating a couple kick-ass songs with no intention of ever playing them live (as it seems clear that they won't tour; and I think limited runs are unlikely for a host of other reasons). I think Neil said in "Taking Center Stage" DVD - our music is created to be played live. With no intention to play it live, I wonder what their motivation to record would be (as you stated, it's not money and they'd be unlikely to created to top previous work.) Knowing that they wouldn't be touring it might make recording an empty experience for them

• Like 1

Yeah but Rush hasn't stood still or stuck to any single mantra ever....

Would anyone be shocked if they did record again and say..." well...we used to feel our music was all about the live execution of the material...but we've found we love the creative aspect as much if not more""...

I know I would nt fall over reading a quote like that.

Also while yes...Rush has hit some milestones...but......if you are to believe them that has never been the central driver of the band...ever...I'm sure the external recognition is great after all these years...but some of that felt begruding in a sense..." yeah we'll finally let em in RRHOF..yeah well put em on Rolling Stone".....

Its much like its been for a damn long time...Lee and Lifeson wanting to do more....Peart disliking touring...all three working well once everyone is convinced its time to work...

I really think if they are to record more.(..can't see em waiting 4 years to do it either...uhhh uh..nope...they are in their 60s...not their 30s 40s or even 50 anymore).it will be within the next year Id guess....chops slide when you take off that long at that age. I see no indication from GL or AL that they want to quit...NP is silent....that's 2/3s of the equation right there with Lee very much wanting to continue and Lifeson saying basically "we'll be back".....

Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 1

True I hear ya but he's an outlier....even Phil Collins I believe has come back in some capacity post retirement. I have a feeling NP actually does still love playing...its the touring part he dislikes.:)

Yeah, I think he'd still like to keep playing. But I think it's something he'd like to do on his own terms. And touring, as we pretty well know, are not his terms.

Edited by Blue J

No more touring. Maybe record an album, and possibly a tiny handful of shows to play it live. Thats it.

Isn't even a "handful of shows" still "touring"? If not, then what number of shows constitutes "touring"?

I think the handful would be more of an engagement. Id characterize touring what we just got with R40.

It doesn't take a lot of work to get in shape for shows if you keep practicing during the breaks, but after not playing much it is very hard. I think the big light shows and videos are over, but they could put a basic large theatre or amphitheatre show on with a 3 camera video of them and do small runs of shows. Other bands do short runs of shows. If they can keep their chops up this is very doable but if they take a break and let the chops slide I doubt they will come back live. In the early 80s Geddy commented that some bands were taking 4 or 5 tractor trailers of gear on tour and that they had given the no to that. This tour had much more. They could scale back to 2 or 3 trucks and do runs of 2 or 3 weeks but only if they stay in shape, otherwise it isn't worth the prep time.