Has "Subdivisions" reached "Tom Sawyer" status?

Xanadu

I like Subdivisions a lot, but it doesn't have the bite that Tom Sawyer or The Spirit of Radio both do.

It's good live, but not great.

I mean, I've never sneezed at it (nor yawned, for that matter)...but I don't think it's a must, no.

The garden is a good song. It is an excellent and appropriate song to end an album and a career.

It is a good song but Rush should go out rocking not all sappy.

SD was skipped on the second leg of the T4E tour and on the VT tour. But since then the song has become something greater live than it did before. I can't explain it really but it has reached the same level as TS and TSOR in my eyes.

The garden is a good song. It is an excellent and appropriate song to end an album and a career.

If all you want to do is fade away. That doesn't strike me as something they'd want to do.

TS and TSOR are the only songs they're totally required to play. Working Man and some portion of 2112 come pretty close as well. Subdivisions is more in YYZ territory, where they love to play it, it get's plenty of play and great crowd reaction, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they left it off the set list.
  • Like 1

If I ruled the world EVERY Rush show would include Working Man, The Spirit of Radio, Huckleberry Finn, Subdivisions and The Big Money.

Both songs are absolutely fantastic in the studio...Subdivisions is much more interesting live, and has much more energy. TS just doesn't have quite as much energy live...

I don't think it has reached TS status yet...

I think their hits go (in order of popularity)

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Limelight

Subdivisions

Working Man

Freewill

etc...

Or at least, that's what I tend to hear on the radio. Typically those, although I have heard Show Don't Tell, Between The Wheels, and Force Ten at least once each on the radio.

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

It's a "hit" amongst Rush fans but it was the first song that all the grumpy old folks bailed on cause they heard synthesizer. Every show I've been to the crowd's pretty loud when Subdivisions is played, but obviously they'll blow the roof off when Tom Sawyer is played.

Filthy casuals!

• Like 1