Open Secrets?

Lock And Key

This may have been discussed before not sure? But I find no evidence of this brilliant song off the superb but vastly underrated 'Hold Your Fire' album ever being performed live, I was at the 'Show Of Hands' concert in Birmingham in 88 and was surprised it wasn't played then?
  • Like 4

I love the album as much as anything they've ever done...and that song is a particularly strong one, I love it. It's a mystery to me why they've never played it live.
  • Like 5

I love the album as much as anything they've ever done...and that song is a particularly strong one, I love it. It's a mystery to me why they've never played it live.

Just like it's a mystery why they've never played Emotion detector, the guitar solo on that is awesome!!!
  • Like 2

I would love to see Open Secrets live as well. Everything about it is over the top to me. Guitar, bass, drums, vocals and lyrics are all awesome on this song and it would probably transfer really well in a live setting. The way the outro / ending propels is one of my favorite Rush moments, and the guitar solo section is goose-bump inducing every time!
  • Like 1

This may have been discussed before not sure? But I find no evidence of this brilliant song off the superb but vastly underrated 'Hold Your Fire' album ever being performed live, I was at the 'Show Of Hands' concert in Birmingham in 88 and was surprised it wasn't played then?

I'm in the minority, but I regard HYF as one of the most perfect albums ever released.

People criticise it because they try and pigeonhole a band like Rush as strictly "prog" or "hard rock".

• Like 5

Most here know my story regarding this era of the band I suppose. HYF was released in 1987 and I just heard it in its entirety around a year ago. I would always say it sucked before that because it wasn't "my" Rush from my era. Truth is it is actually very good and pleasant to listen to save for the last two songs. The first 8 are good to great in my view. Second Nature and Mission being the best in my opinion... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 3

Its really cool that the synth era, completely distant and opposite in style from their awesomeness in the 70s, has such a devoted following.

Full disclosure, HYF only tour I missed since MP. On purpose. Hearing Mission back in 87 actually made me gag :(

Ive always thought TTP and FT were timeless awesome Rush tunes. The album has grown on me a bit since 87...even Mission ;)

• Like 1

Its really cool that the synth era, completely distant and opposite in style from their awesomeness in the 70s, has such a devoted following.

Full disclosure, HYF only tour I missed since MP. On purpose. Hearing Mission back in 87 actually made me gag :(

Ive always thought TTP and FT were timeless awesome Rush tunes. The album has grown on me a bit since 87...even Mission ;)

Believe me it is/was hard to swallow my pride after so many years and admit that I like it. Would have never thunk it be possible a couple years ago...
  • Like 1

Interesting it appears Open Secrets didn't make my essential Synth Era songs. Yet I truly enjoy it. I just gave it another listen. :geddy:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93956-the-synth-era-essential-greatness/#entry3588613

Listened to Emtion Detector last nite. I know thats a special one for many synth fans. I would say its the earliest I can recall hearing a significant tin sound, similar to what unfortunately took Presto down a couple pegs.

But what I think of as the strength of the synth era, Alex' solos (ironic!) the solo is a monster on ED. Bass and guitar. But halfway thru, Ged switches from bass to Keys with the main song melody (a huge strength of synth era) the walls of the famous Alex space begins to close in on him, and I hear the anger in the end of his solo. FWIW!

----

(why is this guy talkin ED on an open secrets thread!!)

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Open Secrets has my favourite lyrics of any Rush song
  • Like 4

The guys seem to be reluctant to revisit HYF deeply.

I read in an interview recently that Geddy views thet album as "a bit hit or miss".

I do think they could have represented it better by playing a song like Open Secrets or Lock and Key rather than Mission and Time Stand Still.

Great song. I don't know why it was never played live. Maybe something about it didn't sound right in a live setting. When a band has as big of a discography as Rush does, sometimes I think certain songs just get forgotten about it they don't make the cut for that tour. I think that might be the case with Open Secrets. A shame it was never played live.

The guys seem to be reluctant to revisit HYF deeply.

I read in an interview recently that Geddy views thet album as "a bit hit or miss".

I do think they could have represented it better by playing a song like Open Secrets or Lock and Key rather than Mission and Time Stand Still.

They did Lock and Key. A highlight on HYF and the ASOH laserdisc.

Hold Your Fire is almost a perfect album the only thing Tai Shan on the album is Tai Shan.

No sorry, Tai Shan isn't Tai Shan, the only thing Tai Shan on the album is High Water.

Note : I'm using your definition of Tai Shan

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 1