How much have you stolen from Rush?

YYZumbi

I have purchased all of the Rush music, video, and other stuff I have. Stealing from a musician is no different than shoplifting from a small business owner.

I dont mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/slap.gif

When music is downloaded illegally, not only are you stealing from the musicians - you are stealing from the people who go in and vacuum the studio after a session, you are stealing from the engineer who also probably orders the pizza in addition to setting up the gear, you are stealing from the creative people ( yes, there are still some ) who back the band and whose names you will probably never know - you are stealing from Terry Brown, Eddie Kramer, Martin Birch, etc , you are stealing from the photographers and artists who design and create the album covers - YES, ALBUM COVERS, REMEMBER THOSE ?!?!?!

A band like the Rolling Stones emerged from a club scene as a cover band - their first album had one original song ...they were nurtured and given time and backing and support and grew into what we now know because of label support, creative support, financial support, etc

Downloading music killed this - it is naïve - actually, clueless - to think that the success of great bands of the past were based solely on the 3 or 4 or 5 members of that band

If a person thinks "Why do I deserve to take this song for free ?" , there is no legitimate answer .. and in doing so, you killed the music industry

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Always bought all the Rush music I own in every format and I own different versions of every album. Speaking of bootlegs, I'm downloading any R40 recording that becomes available day by day and then I'm gonna keep the best 12 or something.

IMO having even 30 bootlegs from a single tour does not affect the band income if you then buy the official live CD and DVD / Bluray

• Like 1

I've bought several albums including Vapor Trails, Spirit of Radio compilation, Clockwork Angels, Counterparts, RTB, Presto, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, AFTK, Power Windows. Admittedly I did not purchase my S&A, TFE, 2112, (what I have of) Signals, or P/G.

Still, about fifty to a hundred bucks of CD's, before we even start talking about all the DVD's. And the best way of supporting them financially - the concert tix.

I wouldn't think of stealing from Rush or any other artist. I'm in my 40's and we grew up in an era where downloading didn't exist so our only option was to buy the LP or cassette.

Think of it this way: If at the end of your work week your company only paid you for 35 of the 40 hours of work you put in, how would you feel?

Edited by ctbadger
  • Like 3

Nothing I can think of. I may have copied a cd or two over the years from friends but I would always go out and buy it. I collect Rush stuff to the extreme and when something is released I usually buy 2, 1 to watch or use and 1 to keep sealed. I have sucker written on my head.

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/huey0831/library/?sort=3&page=0

• Like 1

I've stolen every single album from RUSH.

Now before you get offended, I'll remind you that you asked a question and all I did was answer it honestly so deal with it.

Or maybe I'm just trolling :LOL:

Seriously, I download music albums all the time and if I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, I'm never gonna listen to it again which is why I don't want to buy something before i've heard it. If I bought music I didn't like, I would end up selling it to someone else anyway so in my mind, there's nothing wrong with downloading before choosing whether or not I want to buy an album. In both cases, the band wouldn't get my money for an album I don't like.

• Like 3

Yeah i got hosed enough back in the day buying albums on the strength of one or two songs only to be seriously disapointed in the end result. If I like something I will buy it. Is it the same if I download something or if I watch it on youtube? Dont even tell me the band receives revenue from hearing the music that way. So you have thr reason an artist opens a YouTube channel to recoup the lost revenue. Its a means to an end. When I was working retail I routnely saw people drop $22 on a single cd and I thought to myself the music industry sure will suffer from this. The thing that killed me was that you could go to any small local retailer and get the same cd practically used for like $10.
  • Like 1

Retrospective (I, II and III) (compilation albums)

I have now ordered Retrospective III from amazon, the version that also got a DVD. It feels good! :)

I also ordered the 2112 / Moving Pictures Documentary on blu ray!

• Like 1

You've admitted to theft! The police are on their way! It looks like the Prince may lose his crown!

Working Men. I have maybe listen to it once!

I forgot to say that I do have the Working Men DVD.

And besides, it´s only songs from already released DVDs/live albums. So I have already bought all the songs on it!

Sometimes "stealing" music is simply someone "sharing" music.

I remember reading that cassette tapes were going to ruin the music business. I made thousands of cassette tapes for my friends. And vice versa.

I check a lot of CDs out from the library. I buy tons of used CDs.

Maybe the music business's arrogance got in the way.

Anyway, I acquired music in every way possible, but overtime I bought most of it with my own money.

It's an addicting hobby. Especially if you have to have "everything".

• Like 3

I wouldn't think of stealing from Rush or any other artist. I'm in my 40's and we grew up in an era where downloading didn't exist so our only option was to buy the LP or cassette.

Think of it this way: If at the end of your work week your company only paid you for 35 of the 40 hours of work you put in, how would you feel?

And how many of those hours did you actually spend working vs surfing the net, having non work related discussions with co workers, daydreaming, etc.?

Edited by laughedatbytime

I bought 5 or 6 cd's before I said f**k it and downloaded everything else. artists make more money from touring and merchandise anyway, I feel no guilt unless you're touring in a van.
  • Like 1

I bought 5 or 6 cd's before I said f**k it and downloaded everything else. artists make more money from touring and merchandise anyway, I feel no guilt unless you're touring in a van.

You missed the point. :/

• Like 1

All the albums I own now I've bought on CD. I don't really get downloading (legal or otherwise), less so streaming. I sometimes go Youtube or Soundcloud surfing looking for new music but my own rule is that if I listen to something online 3 times, I buy it.
  • Like 1

And how many of those hours did you actually spend working vs surfing the net, having non work related discussions with co workers, daydreaming, etc.?

Seeing as I almost always give them more than 40 hours every week, and being an exempt employee I don't get paid for my "extra" time, we're probably about even. And let's not talk about time I put in on the weekend when the job demands it.

Never stolen anything I like the original official. I do have a couple vynil boots of shows I went to. I don't particularly like them because I love great sound quality and most of them don't.
  • Like 1

You missed the point. :/

I didn't miss anything, kid.

Nothing from Rush I can think of. They're the only one I want the actual physical item. The rest....meh.
  • Like 1