How much have you stolen from Rush?

YYZumbi

I bought 5 or 6 cd's before I said f**k it and downloaded everything else. artists make more money from touring and merchandise anyway, I feel no guilt unless you're touring in a van.

You missed the point. :/

I didn't miss anything, kid.

Yep, you sure did, punkin. :)

I downloaded the entire Sector box set on a torrent once.

BUT -- I have bought and owned ALL of Rush's albums seperately. (The entire 1997 Rush Remasters series).

I only downloaded Sectors because i was curious about the mixing. I wasn't impressed, so I didn't bother. Happier with my '97s.

Once I buy a hi-res player and a capable pair of headphones, I will probably be buying at least a handful of the 2015 hi-res remasters.

Edited by maxdistortion

Just scored two T-shirts from outside the venue in Philly last night. So that's $15 total they didn't get. Of course they'll be getting much more than that when I order from the Backstage Club in a few weeks..

I bought 5 or 6 cd's before I said f**k it and downloaded everything else. artists make more money from touring and merchandise anyway, I feel no guilt unless you're touring in a van.

Every great young band that is in a van right now - or, will never even get to the point of touring in a van - will never get nearly the same backing or opportunity because of what downloading has done to the industry ..

In essence, your attitude has destroyed the future of that band in a van

Edited by Lucas

nah.

Every great young band that is in a van right now - or, will never even get to the point of touring in a van - will never get nearly the same backing or opportunity because of what downloading has done to the industry ..

In essence, your attitude has destroyed the future of that band in a van

no...it hasn't. bands still get famous the same ways they always got famous - knowing the right people, word of mouth, etc. if you can't name any famous new rock bands, do some research. new CDs cost almost as much today as they did when they first came out, and I think that's shitty so I download. I steal. I share. but I buy tons of merch, I go to all the concerts I can, I'll sometimes buy an LP or a CD at a show. I buy used LPs all the time too. I'd rather support an artist directly than pretend I'm a good person for keeping atlantic in business. if I had the money to do so, I would buy every album I liked but I can't do that, but I like to think that an up-and-coming rock band would rather me buy a t-shirt directly from their merch booth than buy a CD that they'll see ten cents of.

what's great about today is none of the new bands that are worth jack shit really care about album sales - they tour, they sell shirts, they're in it for the music. downloading has taken away the temptation of only being in it for the money. the artists who are getting out there today have no delusions about becoming led zeppelin - they really don't mind not playing hockey arenas! imagine that. we don't get too many "sellout" records anymore because there's no motivation to do one. most modern bands will stream their new album for everyone to hear anyway. if fans like a band, they'll give them money somehow.

and another thing - I've never downloaded a TV show or a movie (although I'll happily watch it if you burn me a disc), I've never stolen from a business, I've never downloaded an ebook or anything. I just can't justify spending 15-20 dollars for a 45-minute album that I might not even enjoy.

Edited by bathory

nah.

So what was the point then? :)

nah.

there isn't one. I was responding to zumbi's post. I can assure you his post was also pointless. wasn't really thinking about you or what "point" you had in mind, seeing as how you're a colossal prick and all.

• Like 1

nah.

there isn't one. I was responding to zumbi's post. I can assure you his post was also pointless. wasn't really thinking about you or what "point" you had in mind, seeing as how you're a colossal prick and all.

well, pricks can be very pointy

• Like 1

The only I think that I would of stolen is lyrics and lines that I've used for safety meetings and other things such as music, I've used Neil's ideas, I think it's stealing because it's not an original idea, even tho the time it's used or the product I created from the idea is original.

nah.

Well, in reality there is one, and since you claim there isn't one, you did indeed miss it.

Sorry, no prizes for you. :)

20 cents.

I happened upon Neil at a gas station in rural Georgia, on his bike between shows apparently, looking to get 4 quarters for a buck and gave him three quarters and a nickel in exchange.

[i kid.]

• Like 3

I have several duplicate albums in my collection. Vinyls, the 2003 Rush remasters, compilations and the Sector Box sets. So I have stolen 0 and actually should be considered in the negative. :LOL:
  • Like 4

I still have my Maxwell c90 tape of 2112 on the A side with the Groundhogs Split on the B.Must be at least 35 years old.Haven't played it in a while due to an upgrade in technology some time ago.Can't bear to throw it out in case everything else fails.

Old school here, never stolen anything; had all the records on vinyl, then cassette, & eventually CD's. Over the past 40 years I've spent countless $$$$ on their albums, swag, and tours. I like to think I've helped pay for Neil to enjoy his latest Aston Martin and helped Ged & Alex add to their wine cellars.

I would do it all again :rush:

Edited by Stan Getz
  • Like 5

Good topic. Here's my personal take:

I hope Slacker, Pandora, and Amazon Prime aren't stealing, because I'm guilty as hell. When I find something I like via those sources, then I buy the CD. WHY?

Uncompressed music. I can't stand MP3 lack of quality.

I hope I'm not stealing, because I'd feel very bad about it. But, honestly, it's just an audio quality issue for me.

• Like 2

When I first got into the band I downloaded 20 or so of their hits illegally onto my phone that I played the crap out of. At the time, I had no computer and no steady means of income. Now, after a year and a half of constant buying every time I get some cash, I own every studio album at least once digitally and about 6 a second time on vinyl, along with a handful of live albums. That old phone has been thrown out too, so I think I've atoned.
  • Like 2

I own every studio & live album through Snakes & Arrows on CD, and everything from the debut through Presto (plus Moving Pictures Live & Clockwork Angels) on vinyl. I have 5 shirts. I own the Rush in Rio, Replay 3 disc set & Clockwork Angels dvds.

I downloaded the Snakes & Arrows dvd (because I honestly don't think it's very good) and the R30 Bluray (because I don't have a Bluray player)

I would consider downloading the "extras" on the R40 boxset if I could find them.

• Like 1