What songs are your current jams?

The Analog Cub

Cannonball Adderley: Mercy Mercy Mercy. One of the 27 new songs that I'm happy to learn to play during the summer. My bass teacher has a very good taste in music, these are all great summer jams. Come August and we'll see how many of these I've nailed. 

• Like 1

Raise Your Hand by Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd and Al Bell. I really do like James Jamerson's beautiful, intuitive and visionary bass lines on Motown. Still, I've always clearly been more into Stax soul. I love Dunn's earthy, sturdy bass work. This Southern soul/gospel groove is great fun to play. It has a special feel to it, as Stax songs in general.

(This song could easily have been on my 27 song list for the summer, since my teacher is a soul music lover, big time. But I somehow came back to Eddie Floyd after many years a few days ago and decided to learn how to play this tune. The whole album Knock on Wood is full of classics. And the Stax catalogue is wide, so I will have a great time digging deeper into Duck's grooves. :wub:)

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 5:50 AM, Sun & Moon said:

Raise Your Hand by Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd and Al Bell. I really do like James Jamerson's beautiful, intuitive and visionary bass lines on Motown. Still, I've always clearly been more into Stax soul. I love Dunn's earthy, sturdy bass work. This Southern soul/gospel groove is great fun to play. It has a special feel to it, as Stax songs in general.

(This song could easily have been on my 27 song list for the summer, since my teacher is a soul music lover, big time. But I somehow came back to Eddie Floyd after many years a few days ago and decided to learn how to play this tune. The whole album Knock on Wood is full of classics. And the Stax catalogue is wide, so I will have a great time digging deeper into Duck's grooves. :wub:)

Have you ever watched the movie The Blues Brothers?

• Like 1

Our theme for our next School of Rock show is the 90s, not my favorite genre. BUT I'm playing bass on In Bloom which is really fun. And then rhythm guitar on What's Up (4 Non Blonds), which I know, I know, is totally repetitive, but I just like it. And then the usual - Blur, Blink 182, Weezermash (Sweater/Bev Hills), I Alone on guitar (another fun one), some other stuff.

• Like 2

Listening to the latest episode of the "History of Rock Music in 500 Songs" by Andrew Hickey, on "Crossroads" by Cream, led me to download a few mid-60s classics:

"Harmonica" by the Graham Bond Organisation

"Quinn the Might Eskimo" by Manfred Mann

"Crossroads" by The Powerhouse (a one-off studio assemblage of Clapton, Bruce, Steve Winwood, and Pete York)

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, Maverick said:

Have you ever watched the movie The Blues Brothers?

Sure, I have. I Love Duck. The movie was fun even though I was a small kid from the Finnish periphery who barely recognized any actor from the movie back then, let alone musicians. But I used to listen to the original Blues Brothers soundtrack over and over again - my sister had copied someone's copy of the tape. :biggrin:  It still is a great soundtrack.

Steve Jordan would not agree on the greatness when it comes to his drumming. He said he played way too much and way too fast. At 2:06->. Love Steve as well.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1