This has been discussed countless times on here. Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious. Unlike Joan Jett, who plays from the heart.

hahaha

channeling your inner christgau, huh?

Oh man. Don't even get me started on that guy!

• Like 2

The really fun part is that since the metrics arent clear, its makes for a fun debate.

Sure they are. If Jann Wenner, Dave Marsh, or Robert Christgau like you, you're in. If not, it's going to be an incredible struggle which will mostly depend on attendance figures and whether they need you in to keep their monument to themselves open.

• Like 1

The funniest aspect of the hall is they're supposed willingness to let different genres of Rock music in, not just the standard 4 piece guitar, bass, drum , vocal variety. But they have ignored Metal and Prog. Thier bias is so fuckiin obvious.

Metal deserves more recognition, I truly believe that.

I don't know why anybody would care about this useless hall. I was hoping rush would stay as far away as possible forever........no such luck.

Mick

I find it interesting from a cultural perspective, in the same way i do the grammies or academy awards.

But they dont affect mt enjoyment of the bands i love at all.

• Like 1

They deserve it more than Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

Yeah, someone who had people killed for a pointless war with his evil sidekick as VP and sat on his ass during Katrina. That's a deserving laureate.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Thanks for reminding me why I NEVER post on the politics board. I see enough crap on IMDB and Facebook. BTW, I find Obama a mixed bag and hate both parties since I'm a green party convert anyways so don't even think of labeling me a "kool aid drinking Obama worshipping lib." He lost my support when he flip flopped on food labeling. DINO Sillary is pathetic as well.

Yeah. Not really a relevant response. Bush hasn't won something like a Nobel prize. Green Day, who stink and don't deserve HoF induction, got in for the same reason a man who had been president for 3 months when Nobel votes were cast, and another man who's presidency is shorthand for failure, won awards. I'm glad you're not a member of a major party though. Because I care one way or another.

Or maybe not really a relevant discussion? You guys are just using Green Day as an excuse for going off on your political positions... :zzz:

The discussion should have begun and ended with: "Their critique of Bush helped their popularity and in on RRHoF"

Thanks for the tip. Presidents Carter and Obama were analogies because they illustrate how articulating a particular view can be more important than the quality of your body of work.

If you don't like my posts you can always ignore them. I note that you didn't criticize Rhyta or invisible airwave for explicitly making political posts. Maybe it's a viewpoint thing with you?

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

Maybe because that's why critics love Green Day? And because Obama and Carter won Nobel Prizes for basically criticizing Bush? Obama won his after being in office less than a year and Carter won his in 2002 after criticizing America's response to September 11, but more than 20 years after he left office. Do you see the connection?

Ok I can see your point about American Idiot, it was a criticism of Bush (who deserved all the criticism he got and then some) but to make the jump to Nobel Peace Prizes given to Obama and Carter seems like a bit of a reach. :eh: The Nobel committee and the RRHOF committee are not colluding together to pick on Bush, there is no correlation between the two. I don't think that connection is relevant here, IMHO

I don't think it's collusion. I just think that in all 3 cases the voters placed a message over the quality of the work upon which the winners were being judged.

Yeah, someone who had people killed for a pointless war with his evil sidekick as VP and sat on his ass during Katrina. That's a deserving laureate.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Thanks for reminding me why I NEVER post on the politics board. I see enough crap on IMDB and Facebook. BTW, I find Obama a mixed bag and hate both parties since I'm a green party convert anyways so don't even think of labeling me a "kool aid drinking Obama worshipping lib." He lost my support when he flip flopped on food labeling. DINO Sillary is pathetic as well.

Yeah. Not really a relevant response. Bush hasn't won something like a Nobel prize. Green Day, who stink and don't deserve HoF induction, got in for the same reason a man who had been president for 3 months when Nobel votes were cast, and another man who's presidency is shorthand for failure, won awards. I'm glad you're not a member of a major party though. Because I care one way or another.

Or maybe not really a relevant discussion? You guys are just using Green Day as an excuse for going off on your political positions... :zzz:

The discussion should have begun and ended with: "Their critique of Bush helped their popularity and in on RRHoF"

Thanks for the tip. Presidents Carter and Obama were analogies because they illustrate how articulating a particular view can be more important than the quality of your body of work.

If you don't like my posts you can always ignore them. I note that you didn't criticize Rhyta or invisible airwave for explicitly making political posts. Maybe it's a viewpoint thing with you?

"I note that you didn't criticize Rhyta or invisible airwave for explicitly making political posts."

I've bolded the plural.

Edited by Mr. Not

"I note that you didn't criticize Rhyta or invisible airwave for explicitly making political posts."

I've bolded the plural.

Fair enough.

But I actually wasn't intending on making it about politics per se. I think Green Day is of marginal importance to rock. If they don't record American Idiot we aren't having this conversation. They did but IMO they don't have a discography that merits HoF induction. And I think critics loved AIs message more than the tunes themselves. Again, just my opinion.

I've bolded the plural.

Fair enough.

But I actually wasn't intending on making it about politics per se. I think Green Day is of marginal importance to rock. If they don't record American Idiot we aren't having this conversation. They did but IMO they don't have a discography that merits HoF induction. And I think critics loved AIs message more than the tunes themselves. Again, just my opinion.

I think American Idiot has some magnificent songs. Almost faultless.

Not a fan, and i do not own a single Green Day album. But last year i saw them live and they were really great.

The funniest aspect of the hall is they're supposed willingness to let different genres of Rock music in, not just the standard 4 piece guitar, bass, drum , vocal variety. But they have ignored Metal and Prog. Thier bias is so fuckiin obvious.

Aye. What genre of rock is Madonna and Donna Summer?
  • Like 2

I don't think bon jovi have been influential enough to go in the hall. I could see def leppard and motley crue getting in at some point

I don't agree - their version of pop hard rock in the 80s was copied by a LOT of bands. They were very well recognized too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Bon_Jovi

The surge of pop hard rock and hair bands was helped along by this band greatly.

I'd like to add I do not care for their music at all, this is from simply living through that time.

• Like 1

Pop and Disco.

Pop and Disco.

I don't consider disco rock at all, although the disco that crosses into funk has an argument. Once pop music is considered fair game (and I wouldnt consider Madonna rock at all), the whole "rock and roll" thing is diluted to lose meaning. Might as well nominate Brittney Spears. Boo.

Pop and Disco.

I don't consider disco rock at all, although the disco that crosses into funk has an argument. Once pop music is considered fair game (and I wouldnt consider Madonna rock at all), the whole "rock and roll" thing is diluted to lose meaning. Might as well nominate Brittney Spears. Boo.

I think it all comes down to what the industry considers cool. Prog rock and Metal have always been for what the industry considers outsiders and the uncool people. Madonna started her career in the dance clubs of NYC. How hip!

• Like 1

Pop and Disco.

I think it all comes down to what the industry considers cool. Prog rock and Metal have always been for what the industry considers outsiders and the uncool people. Madonna started her career in the dance clubs of NYC. How hip!

Madonna had more balls than a thousand metal singers. One look at Human Nature's video should suffice...

Madonna sucks. I know because my brother worked on 2 of her tours and mom made us see both. Put together. 4 hours of sheer torture.

Mick

I love her eighties and nineties output.

Madonna is what she is. I don't consider myself a fan, but I do admit she has several songs I like. Does she belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Yes.

Glad you are openminded!

Rock fans need to sometimes remember the best "pop" crosses over to any music fan. Look at Lady Gaga or ABBA, I have heard many brilliant metal covers!

Sometimes pop artists write songs that are great irrespective of the overall consensus of the genre.