Cant stand "How It Is"

nicky6

I like How It Is, even though it's quite different than much of their other stuff. I do like the upbeat poppy-ness, sort of a retro-psychedelia thing. Then again, I like the entire VT album. And to all you haters I say :moon:

:D

I figured you would happen by sooner or later.... :codger: :cool: Edited by Narpski

I like How It Is, even though it's quite different than much of their other stuff. I do like the upbeat poppy-ness, sort of a retro-psychedelia thing. Then again, I like the entire VT album. And to all you haters I say :moon:

:D

I figured you would happen by sooner or later.... :codger: :cool:

I am the Official Vapor Trails Ambassador. Gotta stand up for the underdog!

• Like 2

I didn't like it at first, but I do enjoy "How It Is"...I just think the music is catchy, in a poppy sort of way.

I loved How It Is but I I pretty much like most of the songs that differ from the rest of whichever album.

Side topic - why can't they get a good mix? Recently it's like they get the recording done and phone in the mix even though that's just as important to the entirety of the presentation. Kindbof like a girl spending hours doing her hair and make up but dressing in muddy jeans and a hideous sweater.

• Like 1

I dig it. I appreciate Neil's peek into the feelings of despair he must have had on a regular basis during that time, and the connection from the personal to the universal. The lyrics are quite good, I think. I also like the ironic contrast that the music provides.

Here's a little trap

That sometimes catches everyone

When today's as far as we can see

Faith in bright tomorrows

giving way to resignation

That's how it is - how it's going to be

It's such a cloudy day

Seems we'll never see the sun

Or feel the day has possibilities

Frozen in the moment -

the lack of imagination

Between how it is and how it ought to be

Here's a little trap

That sometimes trips up everyone

When we tire of our own company

Sometimes we're the last to see beyond the day's frustrations

It's such a cloudy day

I feel the day is all uncertainty

Burning in the moment - trapped by the desperation

Foot upon the stair

Shoulder to the wheel

You can't tell yourself not to care

You can't tell yourself how to feel

That's how it is

Another cloudy day

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

I don't mind How It Is. Not one of the stronger songs on the album but I don't think it's bad. For me it's mostly just a decent song to listen through before the trinity of goodness that is Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, and Earthshine.
  • Like 1

I did a rant against VT. But in short what i said was......it does not let up for a second. I like loud intense music as much as anyone. But i believe music should have peaks and valley's. Some intensity and breathing room. VT doesn't allow breathing room. the remix didn't help. It's a pounding on the ears. for an hour plus, and it's over. It's an abusive assault rather then an enjoyable experience.

Mick

Ghost Rider, How it Is, and Secret Touch all have peaks and valleys, and plenty of breathing room. Compare it to the plodding, bland sameness of S&A, and the contrast is night and day.

• Like 7

How It Is isn't great, but it's not a skipper. Only VT song I regularly skip is Freeze, to me it sounds helter-skelter, bits and pieces thrown together that don't fit well.

I also frequently skipped Secret Touch on the original, but the remix was a huge improvement for that song.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

I don't mind How It Is. Not one of the stronger songs on the album but I don't think it's bad. For me it's mostly just a decent song to listen through before the trinity of goodness that is Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, and Earthshine.

The album really does take a turn for the better after How It Is. I count Sweet Miracle as part of the streak of goodness.

• Like 2

The album really does take a turn for the better after How It Is. I count Sweet Miracle as part of the streak of goodness.

Begins with How it is...Vapor Trail...Earthshine...Sweet Miracle. They would be my highlights for sure. OLV and Ghost Rider when in the mood just make it. Otherwise it's trash and yet another patchy Rush album.

For me, the "great" songs on VT are:

•Ceiling Unlimited

•Ghost Rider

•Vapor Trail

•Secret Touch

•Earthshine

•Nocturne

All the rest are quite good however, with the unfortunate exception of Out Of The Cradle :boo hiss:

• Like 1

I dig it. I appreciate Neil's peek into the feelings of despair he must have had on a regular basis during that time, and the connection from the personal to the universal. The lyrics are quite good, I think. I also like the ironic contrast that the music provides.

Here's a little trap

That sometimes catches everyone

When today's as far as we can see

Faith in bright tomorrows

giving way to resignation

It's such a cloudy day

Or feel the day has possibilities

Frozen in the moment -

the lack of imagination

Here's a little trap

That sometimes trips up everyone

When we tire of our own company

Sometimes we're the last to see beyond the day's frustrations

It's such a cloudy day

I feel the day is all uncertainty

Burning in the moment - trapped by the desperation

Foot upon the stair

Shoulder to the wheel

You can't tell yourself not to care

You can't tell yourself how to feel

That's how it is

Another cloudy day

That's exactly how I feel about it...the juxtaposition between the rather dark, sombre lyrics and the bright "poppiness" of the music.

• Like 2

I agree with Narpski.

Vapor Trails Remixed is very harsh sounding...I hear that "buzz" he was referring to.

What does that buzz sound like, I don't think I've ever heard it. However I usually listen to Rush while driving, which hides a lot due to road noise etc.

The kick drum is EQ'd too brightly, and thus each hit produces a very high frequency "click". It's hard to ignore it when you listen with headphones.

Remove Peacable Kingdom, The Stars Look Down, and How It Is from Vapor Trails and it's a much stronger and cohesive album:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of the Cradle

Yes. F*ck Peacable Kingdom. It's boring and plodding.

And if you don't like Out of the Cradle it's still the best song to close the album out with because of it's upbeat energy and positive lyrics.

I disagree completely. Out of the Cradle comes across as last minute filler, especially after the intensity of the Nocturne / Freeze double pack.

• Like 1

But I do agree that How It Is is quite weak musically. Lyrically it does present an interesting perspective, but musically it's just too stock, too average

When I first listened to VT, How It Is and Out Of The Cradle were the only two songs I didn't care for. Remains the same to this day. VT is an awesome record, but these two sound like they came from a different recording session altogether.

BTW: The VT remix is awesome compared to the original. Night and day.

vapor trials seesm to really be most rsh fans favorite , people are nuts with album..

Really? It actually may be one of the most divided among Rush fans. It's like an either you love it or hate it album and is in no way as universally loved as Moving Pictures, Permamnent Waves, Hemispheres. A Farewell to kings, etc.

Vapor Trails is the least "Rush sounding" out of all of their albums to me whatever that means. It sounds almost nu-metalish.

• Like 1